For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
teraph
Posts in topic: 4

Squib loads

Post by teraph »

Hey all,
I started reloading 9mm luger a few months ago and didn't have any issues with them firing correctly (and if i may say so pretty accurate). Then i decided to save some $$$ and reload .45 acp. After loading bout 75rds i took em to the range. The first few were right on the money, and then I got a pop no kick. I managed to fix it and fire again. Then it happened again. Throughout the rest of the ammo I was worried that it would continue to happen, but it happened to only about 10rds. Any ideas why?
This We'll Defend

LJM
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Squib loads

Post by LJM »

What kind of reloading equipment are you using. I had this problem with the chain on my lee pro powder measure. I replaced the chain with a rod and no longer have a problem.
5/27/10 PLASTIC
Ruger SR40c

Sputz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Sputz »

AndyC wrote:
teraph wrote:Any ideas why?
Yes. Because you forgot the first rule of reloading:

Visually check that there's an appropriate level of gunpowder in the case before putting a bullet in the case.
+1 I had the same problem when I started loading and decided that if I changed the position where I sat I had a direct view of the cartridge before I sat the bullet to make sure it had powder in it.

Sputz

Topic author
teraph

Post by teraph »

the primers are firing and yes the bullet is getting stuck in the barrel but the seems to be a lot of unburnt powder lingering around when they go off. as for checking the amount of powder.......well i didn't look at ALL of them :???:
btw i am using the lee turret press with the accudisk powder measure
This We'll Defend

Sputz
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Sputz »

teraph wrote:the primers are firing and yes the bullet is getting stuck in the barrel but the seems to be a lot of unburnt powder lingering around when they go off. as for checking the amount of powder.......well i didn't look at ALL of them :???:
btw i am using the lee turret press with the accudisk powder measure
What powder? Some meter better in the disk than others.

Sputz

jason237m

Post by jason237m »

Could be a bad batch of powder. I had that one time in some .243 loads and it would "hang fire" where it would go off about 1/4 of a second after the primer fired. The powder was bad, I changed to a new batch and everything was fine.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Is the disc pulling all the way back after the powder is dropped. If the disc doesn't go all the way back you will have some light charges that won't expel the bullet. How do I know this? I had a similar problem with my Lee Loadmaster. The fix was to put a spring in the pull back chain so when the press was all the way down a slight amount of tension was on the spring assuring the disc was all the back.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
teraph

Post by teraph »

im using hodgons hp-38 and the disk is moving all the way both directions. anything else i missed besides checkin every cartridge :oops:
This We'll Defend

Topic author
teraph

Post by teraph »

all brass i shot myself from the factory. thanks for all the help guys!
This We'll Defend

paynewp

Post by paynewp »

I ended up just weighing each round on a cheap electronic scale to verify all the rounds are the same.
03/25/09 -- Packet mailed to DPS
05/15/09 -- Processing Application
07/15/09 -- Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
07/18/09 -- Plastic in hand and Wally walk completed

Kimber Pro Carry II
Glock 22

Return to “Reloading Forum”