IDPA? Dallas Pistol Club members?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dallas_drummer
Posts in topic: 4

IDPA? Dallas Pistol Club members?

Post by dallas_drummer »

Any advice on how to get started? I've never done any shooting along these lines but am very interested.

Also I was wondering if we have any Dallas pistol club members around here. I've heard good things about the range and would be interested in checking it out.

extremist
Posts in topic: 1

Post by extremist »

Joined DPC in December, work about 5 miles from there. Just need to get to the range one weekend to get my "orientation" and my key/pass. :smile:

Also, shot my first IDPA match at Elm Fork Shooting range in December, and just mailed off my IPDA membership form.

No IDPA at DPC, but we do have a couple of defensive matches a month sort of like iDPA. The RealWorldGun match and the Defensive pistol match.

Here's DPC: http://dallaspistolclub.com/

Here's DAPS: http://www.dallaspistol.com/DAPS/

Hope to shoot IDPA at least once a month and RWG or DPM once a month.

In addition, DPC offers the only steel matches in the metroplex that I'm aware of.

James
TX LTC Instructor, NRA Endowment Life Member, USPSA CRO
NRA Handgun/Rifle/Shotgun/Home Firearm Safety, Chief Range Safety Officer

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

dallas_drummer,

Dallas Pistol hosts IDPA at Elm Fork. Seems to be every Wednesday and Saturday. I've only been to two matches, but I'm hooked. Funnest shooting I've ever done and every person there is very friendly and helpful to us new people.

I can't make Wednesdays, so only have gone on Saturday mornings. This coming Saturday is an IDPA qualifier only. I honestly don't know if it would be good for you to do that your first time, (or at all). I don't even know if I'll do it yet. Maybe age_ranger will respond and tell us more about that.

But come out on Saturdays. It'll be good to meet you and I know you'll get a bunch of good useful help out there.

Topic author
dallas_drummer

Post by dallas_drummer »

I think I'm gonna go over to elm fork on wends to check the match out. Anyone else>?

Topic author
dallas_drummer

Post by dallas_drummer »

Also, what are DPC's rules about taking vistors with you to the range? Thanks!

age_ranger
Posts in topic: 6

Post by age_ranger »

It's DAPS....Dallas Action Pistol Shooters. Not sure if it's the same as Dallas Pistol Club.....DAPS has their IDPA matches at Elm Fork. There's a gun range off Beltline/GB Exp. but they don't hold IDPA there.

Getting started is easy. You do not have to be a member and guests/famly/new people are always welcome. You can choose to watch or join in (I suggest you join in!). Score sheets are $10 and you can get those at the clubhouse on the hill there. Then, simply ask where IDPA shoots and they'll show you. It's on the back side of the club house. You should see the cars/range with multiple targets.

Newcomers will get a safety briefing and information on commands and how to shoot. Basically, I recommend you walk through your first match. Most people don't get used to all the rules the first few mathes. (I'm still learning myself!) Still, it's great fun!!!

Gear: You'll need a pistol, holster, 2-3 mags and 150 rounds of ammo max. We typically shoot 5 or 6 stages, each has a max round count of 18 rounds, so if you're shooting a single stack 1911, you'll need 3 mags total. They'll go over how to load up at the match.
I'm hoping to get out this wednesday but It'll be last minute at best. Gonna be a busy week. If I don't, I'll definitely be there saturday. Here's the DAPS website. If you get a chance, look over the IDPA rules and terminology. As a guest, you'll only have to pay for your score sheet ($10). Your first match fee is free but is normally $5 for members ($20 annual membership) and $6 for non-members.

Super easy to get into and you'll be amazed at how well you shoot when you're standing still after a few matches of shooting on the move!!!
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

hi-power

Post by hi-power »

Update on the IDPA Qualifier this Saturday at Elm Fork...after reading about it on the DAPS website, I figured it was a good time for me to go ahead and join that club and shoot the qualifier since I am now hopelessly hooked on it, (but in a good way)! :lol:

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

hi-power wrote:This coming Saturday is an IDPA qualifier only. I honestly don't know if it would be good for you to do that your first time, (or at all).
Those more knowledgeable will slap me down if I lie, so I don't mind throwing my opinion in the bucket for dallas_drummer. :grin:

I think a number of clubs are pretty lax when it comes to IDPA regulations if the matches are just "fun shoots," and not sanctioned IDPA matches. By the IDPA rules, you're allowed to shoot one match without being an IDPA member, so you can try before you buy. But you're expected to have your membership by the second match. You don't have to shoot the Classifier by then, though.

You're expected to shoot the Classifier once every 12 months. The score on the Classifier is what determines the Class you shoot in each Division you choose. Oh, except Master Class shooters are excluded from the once-a-year requirement; they don't have to prove themselves every 12 months. ;-)

But the classifier is nothing to sneeze at. It's Limited Vickers scoring--meaning that only the specified number of shots count; you can't make up any shots--and it's designed to test just about all the basic elements in IDPA. You have to do freestyle shooting, strong-hand only, weak-hand only, on the move, from cover, do both slide-lock and retention reloads, and all that neat stuff.

IMHO, though, it's not a good thing to do up front unless you've already done a lot of defensive pistol work and are confident in your skills. Otherwise, I think it's a good idea to shoot a few IDPA matches before you try the qualifier. Now, there's no huge downside to doing the Classifier early other than you may end up feeling disappointed if you get a "Novice" rating. But I think it would be a more pleasant experience if you were confident you were ready for it.

Details about the 90-shot Classifier can be found in Appendix 8 of the IDPA Rule Book. And Collin County IDPA has some good suggestions for running the Classifier here: http://www.ccidpa.org/clastips.html. Finally, Mas Ayoob did a how-to piece on the Classifier in one of the recent gun mag annual issues; don't have any of those here at work <duh> but I can find it for you tonight, if you want, while I watch Ohio State...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

I'm a member of Dallas Pistol Club (DPC) as well. If you want to be able to practice for IDPA style shooting, this is a good club to belong to. The club allows all manner of pistol practice as long as you follow a few safty rules.

Most public ranges around here do not let you draw from the holster, rapid fire, point & shoot, fire from cover, etc... All are allowed at DPC.

40FIVER

Post by 40FIVER »

Skiprr_ In your post above, you seem to interchange the words "classifier" and "qualifier" like they mean the same thing. Is that correct? Are they the same?

Charlie

Edited to correct the spelling of Skiprr's name.
40FIVER

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

40FIVER wrote:Skiprr_ In your post above, you seem to interchange the words "classifier" and "qualifier" like they mean the same thing. Is that correct? Are they the same?
Oops. No. I went back and caught one of them before I posted, but I guess I left another "qualifier" in there.

It is a Classifier. It's essentially a "test" to be able to place your skill level into a classification. In and of itself, you're not "qualifying" for anything.

Sorry 'bout that.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

It states in the IDPA rulebook that you must be a member of IDPA to be "classified". Does this mean IDPA or the club that hosts it? I've gotten both, but I figured I'd clarify. Also, can a classifier be shot as "practice". I know you should always shoot like it's the real deal, but for a novice, would it benifit them to go through it to see what it's like?

I won't miss this one, for sure. Need to hit a classifier.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I really need to step aside, be quiet and listen, and let the folks who are truly knowledgeable answer. I probably shouldn't have shouted from the peanut gallery in the first place, 'cause I am far from an IDPA authority; maybe in a couple of years... And I don't want to convey any incorrect information.

But, age_ranger, I think you read the rulebook correctly. I think you have to be a member of the IDPA itself--and take your membership card and the Classifier card that comes with it--to shoot the Classifier. I imagine it's up to individual clubs to stage "practice," not-on-the-record classifier runs if they choose to. And I don't think there's anything that says you can't run a regular club match using the Classifier CoF without it actually being a Classifier.

I sure hope I'm not just digging myself in deeper. :sad:

Steve, Tom, Charles, Marc, Bob, et al? Somebody who really knows what he's talking about?

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

Here's a copy of the email I sent DAPS:

Can new people shoot it? My buddy isn't a DAPS Club or IDPA member yet but wants to shoot it. What does he need to do in order to shoot the classifier this weekend?

Here's the reply:

I'd say just come out and shoot. Won't be for 'official' score since he's not a member, but hopefully ya'll can fix that soon!! Just make sure to register on line to make sure there's room.

Derrick

If you want to go, be sure to RSVP. There's a limited number of spots and it's filling up. They only do a certain number of classifiers every year and if you miss one, it's few and far between. I think they're only required to have 3 or so a year. Another person was told to go and after they get their membership, they'll fill out their card accordingly. Even if you just go and shoot it, at least you'll get practice and know what to expect later on.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

age_ranger wrote:Even if you just go and shoot it, at least you'll get practice and know what to expect later on.
Excellent! If we're talkin' a first-time IDPA shooter, he or she should realize that the Classifier's Limited Vickers scoring is more strict than what they'll encounter in most regular matches.

Go shoot!

Oh, and I said I'd shut up, didn't I? We may need this Topic moved to "Competitive Shooting" so the real authorities might see it...

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”