The arms room

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

jamisjockey
Posts in topic: 4

Re: The arms room

Post by jamisjockey »

Well, its sad to report that some yoohoos shot up the range with birdshot and now shotgun shooting is severely limited.

Had some problems with the repair on my shotgun. They took it back in and did it up right. I need to take some pictures asap.

GeezerGas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by GeezerGas »

jamisjockey wrote:Well, its sad to report that some yoohoos shot up the range with birdshot and now shotgun shooting is severely limited.

Had some problems with the repair on my shotgun. They took it back in and did it up right. I need to take some pictures asap.
I saw that too. I was disappointed because I don't get my HD Rem 870 out very often, and I should.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 5

Post by XinTX »

Now shotguns are prohibited. Seems like they tried limiting shotguns to slugs only, but the yahoos kept bringing in birdshot anyway. Pity. Was thinkng of looking for a slug gun.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Mr.d
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mr.d »

I tell ya what... This is probably one of the best places I've shot. Patient people.

So if a yahoo keeps breaking the rules I know it took alot for them to "limit" shotguns.

I blame those messing it up for the rest of us.

I love this place.

Drove from the Woodlands all the way to Santa Fe just to shoot here.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

XinTX wrote:Now shotguns are prohibited. Seems like they tried limiting shotguns to slugs only, but the yahoos kept bringing in birdshot anyway. Pity. Was thinkng of looking for a slug gun.
I'm not sure why the RO doesn't handle this, maybe they are too busy. I've only been there once and I am amazed at how many people hit everything but the target. There are bullet holes and marks all down the range.

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

mrvmax wrote:
XinTX wrote:Now shotguns are prohibited. Seems like they tried limiting shotguns to slugs only, but the yahoos kept bringing in birdshot anyway. Pity. Was thinkng of looking for a slug gun.
I'm not sure why the RO doesn't handle this, maybe they are too busy. I've only been there once and I am amazed at how many people hit everything but the target. There are bullet holes and marks all down the range.
As one of the CRSO's at TAR I confess it is very difficult for some of our fellow shooters to understand common sense. We usually have at least one RO, if not two, on duty at all times but you just can't fix stupid. So we prioritize our time, of course safety being at the top of the list.

As far as the shotgun ban goes, that policy was based on the willful misconduct by a select few who flat out lied about not having bird shot (which is hard on the target carrier wiring).

If we come up with a viable "fix" then we may reconsider but it will be a hard sell to Mr James.

I have had flashes of brilliance...however brief
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Jeff Barriault

Post by Jeff Barriault »

Brian Mobley wrote:If we come up with a viable "fix" then we may reconsider but it will be a hard sell to Mr James.
How about a range variance issued to members/regular customers who have proven themselves safe and trustworthy? And along with it an understanding that the use of bird shot will be considered an act of vandalism subject to prosecution.

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

We will make exceptions for LEO's right now but even with just them bringing shotguns, everyone else feels that they should also.

We may go with a variance, but not at this time.

B
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

teddy salad

Post by teddy salad »

I went to the Arms Room yesterday to pick up a handgun which I had left there for Novak sight installation. First off they installed and zeroed them in less than 24 hours, which is great considering all of the work that they have.

Then as I was paying for the service I asked if I could get a lane on the range to test the new sights. Unfortunately they had just given the last lane to someone else, and all of the others were reserved for a class that was taking place. However, they asked if I was just going to shoot a little to test the gun. I said "yes". They said, "well just go use one of the reserved lanes, and let us know when you're done so we can put up a new target" (the reserved lanes were already set up with targets for the class).

I could totally understand if they didn't want to squeeze someone in before the class's shooting section started, but they accommodated me anyway. This is the sort of customer friendly service I always get there: great lanes, great AC, and great staff! I highly recommend the Arms Room.

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

I just noticed that they have unlimited handgun rentals for $25 plus range fees and ammo. Since I want to try a bunch anyways, I'm going to drop in on Sunday morning after I drop my wife off at the airport and get some serious trigger time in.
Psalm 91:2

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SQLGeek »

Well I went this morning and had a fantastic time. The staff there is great and the facilities are nice. I got in before the morning rush so I got on a lane right away and then proceeded to rent a pile of guns. Looks like the Glock 19 is the winner. I went in to the store after my range session. Guns were expensive but accessories were reasonable and Larry at the counter spent a lot of time showing me quiet a few guns. As crazy as it sounds, I'm thinking about going back and paying the $575 for the Gen 4 based upon the customer service alone. Now if only they weren't so far away.
Psalm 91:2

joemilla

Post by joemilla »

I've been pretty impressed with The Arms Room myself. I went in there with the wife in search of her first handgun. I had her do research on it beforehand and encouraged her to handle the interaction with the staff herself. She was very nervous at first but they treated her great and did not talk down to her even when she didn't know what she was talking about. They walked her through the whole process. Very impressed!

WolfeJager

Post by WolfeJager »

Dont forget being a member really helps with some of the fees and prices, not much but it helps a little. Sometimes I feel bad buying like 4 guns and transferring them at their shop, I just wished they carried more military surplus guns. It is a nice place to shoot and I am bummed that I cant take my 1897 Trenchgun to shoot there anymore.

I always tell anyone that wants to buy a gun to go there and try the rentals. Also, I wish they would stick to their closing times, If you close at 10pm CLOSE AT 10PM, don't close at 9:30 when I just finished putting together my mak90 and want to go test fire it D:

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Took my daughter this evening to practice a bit and to help her decide on a CCW. Took advantage of the $25 unlimited rental and I think she is going to go with the S&W 9C. I shot half a magazine with it and I liked it as well. The facility is very nice I must say and the young man who signed us in was very courteous as was the RO when I asked him a question. Ammo price was a little steep but I only bought one box to let her try the two Glocks and the S&W and used our own when shooting the Browning HP and a couple of .40 SW I have. After deducting their $16 ammo cost plus being "date night" it wasn't so bad. I really like the target conveyance system with the range indicator and the lighting is excellent for my old eyes. All and All a very good experience.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

I went back to the arms room 10/1, have never had a problem in the past, but the younger girl working the front counter was not the friendliest person I have delt with, and it seems they have a new policy of holding all of your guns / bags behind the counter while you wait?

Return to “Shooting Ranges”