Passage of TX Senate Bill 321

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
LSUTiger
Posts in topic: 2

Passage of TX Senate Bill 321

Post by LSUTiger »

My employer has the 30.06 sign up. I guess the recently passed Tx Senate Bill 321 wont conflict with 30.06 as long as the gun is locked in the car?

Introduced by state Senator Glenn Hegar (R-Katy), SB 321 is an NRA-backed bill that would prevent employers from enacting and enforcing policies to prohibit employees from storing firearms in their locked private motor vehicles while parked at work.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Passage of TX Senate Bill 321

Post by The Annoyed Man »

LSUTiger wrote:My employer has the 30.06 sign up. I guess the recently passed Tx Senate Bill 321 wont conflict with 30.06 as long as the gun is locked in the car?

Introduced by state Senator Glenn Hegar (R-Katy), SB 321 is an NRA-backed bill that would prevent employers from enacting and enforcing policies to prohibit employees from storing firearms in their locked private motor vehicles while parked at work.
That is correct, with certain narrowly defined exceptions such as the secured parking areas at oil refineries.....stuff like that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

Sorry forgot the link to the bill.....

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLook ... Bill=SB321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

jmra

Post by jmra »

If I really wanted to be a jerk, as the owner of a corporation, I could start another corporation (with a different address/P.O. Box) that would then employ all of my current employees. The new corporation would then contract labor to my original corporation. All employees at the original site would then be contractors who do not benefit under the new law.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 3

Post by i8godzilla »

jmra wrote:If I really wanted to be a jerk, as the owner of a corporation, I could start another corporation (with a different address/P.O. Box) that would then employ all of my current employees. The new corporation would then contract labor to my original corporation. All employees at the original site would then be contractors who do not benefit under the new law.
It would be easier to lease the parking lot to a new company. That company could then post the parking lot 30.06. Employees could be required to buy a parking pass from the new company if they wished to park there. The employer could even reimburse the employees' parking fees.

Dare you to bet me that this will not happen.................... :fire
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

C-dub
Posts in topic: 10

Post by C-dub »

It might happen, but I would also bet that if it did the employer would lose in court if challenged.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Keith B
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Keith B »

Quite a few other states have passed parking lot laws over the past 3-4 years and we haven't heard of issues in those locations. I doubt many, if any, companies will go through that much trouble to try and find a loophole in the law to work around it. Usually after the initial fight, they just go along with the ruling.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 3

Post by i8godzilla »

Keith B wrote:Quite a few other states have passed parking lot laws over the past 3-4 years and we haven't heard of issues in those locations. I doubt many, if any, companies will go through that much trouble to try and find a loophole in the law to work around it. Usually after the initial fight, they just go along with the ruling.
Yes, I agree that most will not go through the trouble. However, I know of two that are HQ in TX that are so anti-2A that they will spend the money to do whatever it takes. Sure they may lose. However, the idea I posted was from one of their senior directors.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

i8godzilla wrote:
jmra wrote:If I really wanted to be a jerk, as the owner of a corporation, I could start another corporation (with a different address/P.O. Box) that would then employ all of my current employees. The new corporation would then contract labor to my original corporation. All employees at the original site would then be contractors who do not benefit under the new law.
It would be easier to lease the parking lot to a new company. That company could then post the parking lot 30.06. Employees could be required to buy a parking pass from the new company if they wished to park there. The employer could even reimburse the employees' parking fees.

That wouldn't work for at least two reasons. First, TPC §30.06 doesn't apply to a CHL unless they are carrying pursuant to their CHL. Since having a handgun in your car isn't illegal (Motorist Protection Act), you would not be carrying pursuant to your CHL. Also, a person could put the handgun in the truck and it would not be "on or about [their] person" so they wouldn't be "carrying."

Chas.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Such a persons would not be "contract personnel," they would be "leased employees" and the employer would be subject to SB321.

Chas.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Such a persons would not be "contract personnel," they would be "leased employees" and the employer would be subject to SB321.

Chas.
That's good to know.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Iunnrais
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Iunnrais »

Would the same apply where Corp A contracts Corp B to provide X services where Corp A then leases several floors in it's facility to Corp B for Corp B to run it's local business (which includes providing similar ervices to companies other than Corp A using the leased floors)? Or do the policies of Corp A preventing any person on site from possessing weapons on site (including parking lots in vehicles) override SB321 for the employees of Corp B?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
i8godzilla wrote:

That wouldn't work for at least two reasons. First, TPC §30.06 doesn't apply to a CHL unless they are carrying pursuant to their CHL. Since having a handgun in your car isn't illegal (Motorist Protection Act), you would not be carrying pursuant to your CHL. Also, a person could put the handgun in the truck and it would not be "on or about [their] person" so they wouldn't be "carrying."

Chas.
Hello Charles.

In one or more older threads the discussion of a CHL holder who forgets their license could carry under the MPA was discussed. It was my contention that as CHL holders we cannot carry under the MPA. I don't remember if you ever weighed in on those discussions. Are you saying that it is possible for a CHL holder to legally have a gun in their car without their CHL on them under the MPA?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Katygunnut »

C-dub wrote:It might happen, but I would also bet that if it did the employer would lose in court if challenged.
Not only that, but under this scenario, there would be no risk of your employer searching your car (which is not on their property) and discovering the weapon in the first place.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Katygunnut wrote:
C-dub wrote:It might happen, but I would also bet that if it did the employer would lose in court if challenged.
Not only that, but under this scenario, there would be no risk of your employer searching your car (which is not on their property) and discovering the weapon in the first place.
Oh, that's beautiful! Bonus. :lol:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”