Conceal Carry when going to the Range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

fulano
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Conceal Carry when going to the Range?

Post by fulano »

Gun ranges are just risky. Period.

A large portion of the daily shooters are members or regulars but there are always the walk ins who are unknown.

Last week I watched a guy with a new gun who couldn't get the gun to cycle. I watched him while my wife shot. He just couldn't figure the gun out. Is that not scary? I thought the RO might help out but the guy packed it in after a while.

You just never know who is next to you.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

fulano wrote:Gun ranges are just risky. Period.

A large portion of the daily shooters are members or regulars but there are always the walk ins who are unknown.

Last week I watched a guy with a new gun who couldn't get the gun to cycle. I watched him while my wife shot. He just couldn't figure the gun out. Is that not scary? I thought the RO might help out but the guy packed it in after a while.

I would agree with you. I try to keep an eye out for dangerous situations. The Bullet Trap has plastic dividers between lanes that make it hard to see if your in the cross hairs. A bullet would go right through the divider. The single biggest mistake I see is folks pointing their guns to the side as they lay them down. I am not the least bit shy about telling them to lay the gun down so the muzzle is pointing down range. The second issue I witness is folks pointing their guns to the side as they slap a magazine into it. :shock:

fulano
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fulano »

03Lightningrocks wrote: I would agree with you. I try to keep an eye out for dangerous situations. The Bullet Trap has plastic dividers between lanes that make it hard to see if your in the cross hairs. A bullet would go right through the divider. The single biggest mistake I see is folks pointing their guns to the side as they lay them down. I am not the least bit shy about telling them to lay the gun down so the muzzle is pointing down range. The second issue I witness is folks pointing their guns to the side as they slap a magazine into it. :shock:
The Bullet Trap is my range too. I don't like it when I see a finger on the trigger while tinkering with the gun; gives me the "willys". I always step back after a couple of magazines and look to each side of me while I'm collecting brass; its a good time to interact. Maybe a "hello" just anything to establish some acknowledgment that I'm there and engage those around me.

Its like being aware in a parking lot at night but in a gun range everyone is armed :???:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 12

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote:

I would agree with you. I try to keep an eye out for dangerous situations. The Bullet Trap has plastic dividers between lanes that make it hard to see if your in the cross hairs. A bullet would go right through the divider. The single biggest mistake I see is folks pointing their guns to the side as they lay them down. I am not the least bit shy about telling them to lay the gun down so the muzzle is pointing down range. The second issue I witness is folks pointing their guns to the side as they slap a magazine into it. :shock:
I think you'll find those partitions are filled with pea gravel, or some other ballistic material to make the partitions bullet resistant.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:

I think you'll find those partitions are filled with pea gravel, or some other ballistic material to make the partitions bullet resistant.
You think or you know? I have never asked them if they were filled with "bullet resistant" material. Now you have my curiosity going. :headscratch

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote: You think or you know? I have never asked them if they were filled with "bullet resistant" material. Now you have my curiosity going. :headscratch
Well, I have no specific knowledge regarding the construction of the Bullet Trap's shooting booths, however, I have investigated range construction, and the vendors I talked to all had some form of "bullet resistant" material between the booths. I can also tell you that there is a thing called a "safety seal" (don't know why), which is basically a sheet of ballistic steel wrapped with plywood (and an airgap between them). This is placed directly above the shooter. If the shooter shoots straight up, the round penetrates the plywood, and richoches off the steel and is captured between the steel and plywood. Most booth walls either have steel on the inside, or outside, and fill the gaps with some material to slow/capture the round.

I will be going to the Bullet trap probably tomorrow. If I can remember, I'll ask.
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: You think or you know? I have never asked them if they were filled with "bullet resistant" material. Now you have my curiosity going. :headscratch
Well, I have no specific knowledge regarding the construction of the Bullet Trap's shooting booths, however, I have investigated range construction, and the vendors I talked to all had some form of "bullet resistant" material between the booths. I can also tell you that there is a thing called a "safety seal" (don't know why), which is basically a sheet of ballistic steel wrapped with plywood (and an airgap between them). This is placed directly above the shooter. If the shooter shoots straight up, the round penetrates the plywood, and richoches off the steel and is captured between the steel and plywood. Most booth walls either have steel on the inside, or outside, and fill the gaps with some material to slow/capture the round.

I will be going to the Bullet trap probably tomorrow. If I can remember, I'll ask.
Cool... let me know what you find out. :cheers2: As soon as you see the plastic looking dividers, I bet you think about it...LOL. If you can ask them without making them think your some kind of inspector, try to find out if they have the steel above the actual bays. I have seen holes right above where I stand and have wondered about the results from those misfires.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

OK -- the guy at BT wasn't real familiar with the construction of the booths, but did say they contained some kind of material to slow down a round. However, he stated they were built so long ago that he wasn't sure how effective they would be with modern ammo -- and thus their emphasis on safety. (For crying out loud, they aren't 100 years old!). Anyway, he said he wouldn't want to be on one side of the barrier and tell somebody on the other side "OK -- Now shoot it!"

I do point out that I said it was bullet resistant, not bullet proof!

:fire :banghead: (I need to turn banghead around so he's shooting the guy thru the brick wall! :mrgreen: )

By the way, the damage to the ceiling is most like done by flying brass. Some of which is still stuck in the acoustic tile. Though I have seen holes in the plastic tables, and today a BIG hole in the movable divider.
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

They aren't 100 years old but I have been going in there for about 30 years... give or take. The visual of standing on one side and saying, "OK, Now Shoot It", cracks me up.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote:They aren't 100 years old but I have been going in there for about 30 years... give or take. The visual of standing on one side and saying, "OK, Now Shoot It", cracks me up.
They've been there since 1989, so you started shooting 8 years before they got there! :lol:
Never Forget. Image

03Lightningrocks

sjfcontrol wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote:They aren't 100 years old but I have been going in there for about 30 years... give or take. The visual of standing on one side and saying, "OK, Now Shoot It", cracks me up.
They've been there since 1989, so you started shooting 8 years before they got there! :lol:
LOL... the older I get, the worse I get at estimating my past. I was there for the grand opening... so yep... 22... 25... 30... whatever. :mrgreen:

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
sjfcontrol wrote:
LOL... the older I get, the worse I get at estimating my past. I was there for the grand opening... so yep... 22... 25... 30... whatever. :mrgreen:
Yeah, I tell people you know when you're getting old, because you start measuring time in decades! (e.g. "I've lived here for a decade!", or "I've been doing this activity for 3 decades!") :eek6
Never Forget. Image

kjolly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kjolly »

I conceal carry my EDC into the range sometimes as I seem to have less and less room in my range bag, however make certain my body is protecting line of sight when I gently remove from holster, keeping muzzle down range and place it on the bench. This range does have a RO that is pretty intimidating so I make sure concealed remains concealed.
Drop the SD magazine, and open the action, load FMJ when ready to shoot this gun.
Feel it is more important to practice with your EDC than any other gun.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Mr.d
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mr.d »

Thomas wrote:I went to The Arms Room for the first time the other day. I carried in and un-concealed it while at the line. They had a sign saying that only LEOs and CHLs could holster there. When I was done, I re-concealed it and left. I did not run into any problems, no one approached me or asked to see my CHL. By the way, I had a pleasant experience there. Not the best deals on guns, but the range was nice and reasonably priced.
Same here. I took my chl class here and I've gone back to shoot once and they were just fine with me walking in whilst concealed. Just showed it to them. Paid. Shot. Left.

Return to “Shooting Ranges”