Dog shooter of the week

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

i8godzilla
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Dog shooter of the week

Post by i8godzilla »

Around here most dogs thought to be domestic are usually chased away the first few times and the owner located if possible. After a couple of times of dug up crops/gardens or a dose or two of aggressive behavior, then then the three S's kick in.

S -shot
S -shovel
S -shut-up

I love dogs and recently rescued one myself. However, with five grandchildren (ages 9mo - 4yrs) to protect when they visit, I will not tolerate an aggressive dog ON MY PROPERTY, for long. If a person had a weapon in their hand and charged you while yelling or screaming at you, would you shot? Well, have about a dog doing the same with a mouthful of sharp teeth. Just saying...............
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

i8godzilla wrote:Around here most dogs thought to be domestic are usually chased away the first few times and the owner located if possible. After a couple of times of dug up crops/gardens or a dose or two of aggressive behavior, then then the three S's kick in.

S -shot
S -shovel
S -shut-up

I love dogs and recently rescued one myself. However, with five grandchildren (ages 9mo - 4yrs) to protect when they visit, I will not tolerate an aggressive dog ON MY PROPERTY, for long. If a person had a weapon in their hand and charged you while yelling or screaming at you, would you shot? Well, have about a dog doing the same with a mouthful of sharp teeth. Just saying...............

:iagree:

randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 2

Post by randomoutburst »

Just had an issue with two aggressive pit bulls in the neighborhood. The owners live across the street and let the dogs run loose even after we've repeatedly asked them to PLEASE fence in their dogs. We expressed to them that we are uncomfortable around their dogs, and their response was, "So?"

We've called animal control about the dogs so many times that they stopped coming out. These dogs would stand in front of my Expedition growling, snarling, and barking at it. They wouldn't move for a honk and I inched forward far enough to almost tag one before they both moved. They followed me into the driveway, so I had to sit in my car until they got bored and left. I toyed with the idea of getting out of the car and just shooting them if they came closer, but I would hate to shoot a dog and didn't want to cause an issue that I could avoid. They've also charged my fence when my Schnauzer is outside. My dumb little guy doesn't seem to "get" aggression, and bounds up to the fence playfully, wagging his rear and trying to play. If not for the fence, my little guy would have been toast many times in the past because he just doesn't understand that those pit bulls aren't being friendly.

Recently I woke to my mother-in-law (who lives next door) screaming outside early in the morning. Apparently the white pit bull charged her while she was taking the trash out. He chased her to the door and luckily my father-in-law came running and appeared at the door in time to open it for my mother-in-law. He's a big enough guy that the dog paused then decided to walk away rather than pursue my mother-in-law inside.

As you can imagine, I was FURIOUS. I had called the city about the dogs just the previous night, and was told someone would come out. No one showed. Had they showed and taken the dogs, they couldn't have attacked my mother-in-law. I made up my mind that if I was outside and one tried to charge me or any other family member, I would shoot it dead. I wrote a very long letter to the chief of police detailing the problems we've had and the lack of response from the city. I casually suggested that if the dogs harmed us we would go after the city for damages due to their non-response to our calls. Then I e-mailed it to him. I also printed it out, intending to take it by his office later that day after I got out of class. Wouldn't you know it, the head of animal control showed up at my door within 30 minutes to hear what I had to say.

After talking to me, he warned the owners (who had since brought their dogs inside after all the screaming) that next time they came out and had to take the dogs, it would cost them $140 per dog to get them back. I also now have, in writing, a promise from the chief of police that his officers are instructed to take whatever measures necessary to resolve the problem we have with those dogs. I was told to call animal control next time they are loose (even if they aren't witnessed being aggressive). If an officer isn't there in 20 minutes, I was told to call and contact the animal control supervisor (the guy who visited my house) directly and that he would personally take care of it.

Funnily enough, the dogs haven't been seen outside their fence but two times after that. Both times they tried to chase my mother-in-law just as my husband was arriving home from work, and he blocked their path with his car then got out and approached them, causing them to back up and growl. He set off the car alarm and the owners came running out to collect their dogs.

I tell you guys, I would hate to shoot a dog but for these I would make an exception. It's the owners' fault, not the dogs', but I don't want to see anyone get hurt because a couple of idiots can't keep their untrained aggressive dogs under control. I hope the visit from the police will be enough to keep them compliant with the law about unleashed animals...

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

randomoutburst wrote:Wouldn't you know it, the head of animal control showed up at my door within 30 minutes to hear what I had to say.
It's entertaining; even government employees occasionally display some signs of life when you can get their bosses worried about having to do some CYA work.

(Hint: if you go to the mayor, and make it clear that all contacts are being documented and/or recorded, it's even sometimes possible to get them to display signs of intelligence.)

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mamabearCali »

Dogs and stupid pre-teens in groups are the reason I carry pepper spray. I really don't want to have to shoot a dog. I love dogs and if I can get away from one by showering it's nose/eyes in pepper spray and not have to shoot it all the better for me and it. I actually had a code orange once when we were in the park that had me unlock the top of my pepper spray and have it ready if needed. A large mixed breed dog came running fast at my kids and me in a silent manner I grabbed the can in the stroller pouch I keep it in and unlocked the top just in time to see an unhappy owner running after his errant dog. All was well and no one got hurt and the pepper spray was never in sight. The dog was actually very friendly once it was on leash.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 66

Post by seamusTX »

Naples, Florida, Sunday a 43-year-old woman reportedly had a fight with her "boyfriend" that became physical. She then allegedly shot and killed his dog, which was a pregnant female pit bull.

She was charged with felony cruelty to animals, possession of a firearm, and misdemeanor domestic violence.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/28/2 ... iends.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't ask me what "possession of a firearm" means. I don't know.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

apostate

Post by apostate »

seamusTX wrote:Don't ask me what "possession of a firearm" means. I don't know.
Naplesnews.com says it's felon in possession.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Wow! And a career in fashion modeling tragically cut short.

:grumble

- Jim

i8godzilla

Post by i8godzilla »

seamusTX wrote:Naples, Florida, Sunday a 43-year-old woman reportedly had a fight with her "boyfriend" that became physical. She then allegedly shot and killed his dog, which was a pregnant female pit bull.

She was charged with felony cruelty to animals, possession of a firearm, and misdemeanor domestic violence.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/28/2 ... iends.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Don't ask me what "possession of a firearm" means. I don't know.

- Jim
Looks like she was not allowed to posses a firearm.

Naplesnews.com wrote: http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2011/jun ... iends-preg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gresham was arrested by Collier deputies and faces a felony charges of cruelty to animals, possession of firearm with ammo, shooting missile into dwelling building and a misdemeanor of domestic violence.

Gresham's criminal history revealed that she is a convicted felon.
No State shall convert a liberty into a privilege, license it, and charge a fee therefor. -- Murdock v. Pennsylvania
If the State converts a right into a privilege, the citizen can ignore the license and fee and engage in the right with impunity. -- Shuttleworth v. City of Birmingham

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

randomoutburst wrote:Just had an issue with two aggressive pit bulls in the neighborhood. The owners live across the street and let the dogs run loose even after we've repeatedly asked them to PLEASE fence in their dogs. We expressed to them that we are uncomfortable around their dogs, and their response was, "So?"

We've called animal control about the dogs so many times that they stopped coming out. These dogs would stand in front of my Expedition growling, snarling, and barking at it. They wouldn't move for a honk and I inched forward far enough to almost tag one before they both moved. They followed me into the driveway, so I had to sit in my car until they got bored and left. I toyed with the idea of getting out of the car and just shooting them if they came closer, but I would hate to shoot a dog and didn't want to cause an issue that I could avoid. They've also charged my fence when my Schnauzer is outside. My dumb little guy doesn't seem to "get" aggression, and bounds up to the fence playfully, wagging his rear and trying to play. If not for the fence, my little guy would have been toast many times in the past because he just doesn't understand that those pit bulls aren't being friendly.

Recently I woke to my mother-in-law (who lives next door) screaming outside early in the morning. Apparently the white pit bull charged her while she was taking the trash out. He chased her to the door and luckily my father-in-law came running and appeared at the door in time to open it for my mother-in-law. He's a big enough guy that the dog paused then decided to walk away rather than pursue my mother-in-law inside.

As you can imagine, I was FURIOUS. I had called the city about the dogs just the previous night, and was told someone would come out. No one showed. Had they showed and taken the dogs, they couldn't have attacked my mother-in-law. I made up my mind that if I was outside and one tried to charge me or any other family member, I would shoot it dead. I wrote a very long letter to the chief of police detailing the problems we've had and the lack of response from the city. I casually suggested that if the dogs harmed us we would go after the city for damages due to their non-response to our calls. Then I e-mailed it to him. I also printed it out, intending to take it by his office later that day after I got out of class. Wouldn't you know it, the head of animal control showed up at my door within 30 minutes to hear what I had to say.

After talking to me, he warned the owners (who had since brought their dogs inside after all the screaming) that next time they came out and had to take the dogs, it would cost them $140 per dog to get them back. I also now have, in writing, a promise from the chief of police that his officers are instructed to take whatever measures necessary to resolve the problem we have with those dogs. I was told to call animal control next time they are loose (even if they aren't witnessed being aggressive). If an officer isn't there in 20 minutes, I was told to call and contact the animal control supervisor (the guy who visited my house) directly and that he would personally take care of it.

Funnily enough, the dogs haven't been seen outside their fence but two times after that. Both times they tried to chase my mother-in-law just as my husband was arriving home from work, and he blocked their path with his car then got out and approached them, causing them to back up and growl. He set off the car alarm and the owners came running out to collect their dogs.

I tell you guys, I would hate to shoot a dog but for these I would make an exception. It's the owners' fault, not the dogs', but I don't want to see anyone get hurt because a couple of idiots can't keep their untrained aggressive dogs under control. I hope the visit from the police will be enough to keep them compliant with the law about unleashed animals...
It sounds like you successfully pushed the liability button and have gotten the attention of city officials who have suddenly developed renewed interest in diligent execution of their sworn duties.

In the interests of preventing an initial injury to you or yours and avoiding all the issues that come with discharging a firearm in a residential neighborhood, you might consider getting and carrying cans of stream dispensing (not spray) OC (oleoresin capsicum) for all family members, including Mom and Dad. The reason for the stream version is it can be used effectively much further out than a spray, and there's reduced chance of cross contaminating yourself or others. (You still have to watch the wind direction.)

When threatened, a liberal application to the eyes and nose of the attacking dog is likely to teach it to knock off the aggressive stuff and give you folks wide berth. Like anything else, it doesn't work 100% of the time, but when it does, the animal doesn't soon forget the experience. People don't either.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Pug

Post by Pug »

randomoutburst wrote:I tell you guys, I would hate to shoot a dog but for these I would make an exception...
:tiphat:

You are a gracious person with a great deal of patience. If it were my neighbor, they would have collected their dog's dead and decaying bodies long ago. Having taken out wandering mutts among our livestock on the farm more than once, I would have absolutely no hesitation whatsoever to put one (or more) down to protect a member of my family.

And yes, I, too, own a rescue pet (a mini-schnauzer named Booker)...

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

I have two dogs and have had dogs most of my life. I raise them so gentle that they still think they are puppies when they are 10.

In your situation, there would have been two dead dogs no later than the second time I had that type of trouble with them. :evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

I didn't see this posted yet. Hits close to home, I personally know the lady whose dog was shot. I haven't been out there in quite some time, and didn't know the dog, but all the dogs I've ever seen there in the past were always kept fenced in. :confused5
Someone from the comments wrote:State Felony In the 25TH District Court COUNTY Cause No. 11-0460-CR another hearing date set STATE OF TEXAS VS. JOHN ALLEN MUELLER 08/23/2011 Tuesday 9:00am NON-JURY
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Ma ... wJSog.cspx
http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Ho ... vhY6w.cspx
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

In Royal Oak, Michigan (Detroit suburb), today a 39-year-old man was charged with felony animal cruelty for fatally shooting the family dog after a protracted argument with his wife.

The dog allegedly was shot with "a high-powered pellet gun."

The suspect is liable for up to four years in the slammer if found guilty.

http://www.dailytribune.com/articles/20 ... 609822.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

speedsix
Posts in topic: 7

Post by speedsix »

...oughta chain HIM out in the back yard for a year...that'd be fit punishment...

Return to “Off-Topic”