How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

GlockNation
Posts in topic: 2

Post by GlockNation »

Thanks, Chas.

It was my initial app.

dws1117
Posts in topic: 14

Post by dws1117 »

That is great to see. Hopefully this will be a sign of things to come.

BenGoodLuck

A strange tale

Post by BenGoodLuck »

On 6/1/05 I mailed in my completed application and cashier's check. On 6/27 I received a letter indicating that I had failed to sign the on-line form - and it referenced a totally diffrent number than the one on my application. After some emails back and forth, I realized I had completely forgotten that I had applied on-line back in 2003. I kept intending to take the class but had to put it off, so it ended up I paid twice - once on-line, once via cashier's check. DPS wrote me that they received the signed form on 7/12/05; and they wrote: "that will start your 60 days from that date. Please allow it to go through the full process."

So far, they are still "Processing application". The interesting part is that I did receive a refund of the extra payment in about two weeks, although they had told me to expect a refund in 4 to 6 weeks. Maybe I'll give them a call to see if they can move me up a bit. :oops:

P12
Posts in topic: 1

Post by P12 »

My renewal, 44 days from receipt till website stated issued. Took 6 days after that to receive my rights taxation receipt.

My sons initial was mailed the same day. His was changed to issued status at 55 days. Still waiting for it to arrive. Should be here on Tuesday.

BenGoodLuck

Re: A strange tale

Post by BenGoodLuck »

bentcursor wrote:On 6/1/05 I mailed in my completed application and cashier's check...So far, they are still "Processing application".
I checked the website on Sunday 8/14 and the status had changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"; so from start to finish, including having to send in the additional information they asked for, and accounting for the fact that I didn't check their site from 8/8 to 8/14, it took somewhere around 70 days. :D

SteyrM40

Post by SteyrM40 »

Hi everyone,

44Anaconda on PDO posted a message saying "total time for my permit in Texas was 28 days to my front door..."

Now, that is pretty damn impressive. Glad to see they are speeding things up over in Austin.

Stay safe...

SteyrM40

tehlump

Post by tehlump »

6/6/05-overnight CHL application to DPS (USPS overnight)
6/7/05-CHL app received
6/27/05-received unsigned picture back from DPS
6/28/05-overnighted CHL picture back to DPS (USPS overnight)
6/29/05-CHL picture received
7/8/05-CHL PIN received
8/2/05 contacted DPS to gently remind them of 60 day deadline
-they respond by saying the packet wasn't complete until 7/5

8/15/05-DPS website changes to application completed
8/18/05-license arrives in the mail.

45 days from completed application
75 days from original app

I put 'under 60' days on the poll. However I think it's silly for the state to hold on to an application for 1 month before realizing it's not complete.

wrt45
Posts in topic: 3

Post by wrt45 »

My renewal application (my CHL, not my instructor's renewal) was mailed July 5, received in Austin July 7 according to USPS.

When the website hadn't changed from "packet mailed to applicant" I called on July 29 to see why the website wasn't acknowledging any receipt of application. I was told that the application was there, logged into DPS a week after USPS said they received it, but that the website updates were running behind. Sounds a little lame, but OK....I've met the office staff and I'm willing to cut a little slack..........

Today, 8/19, I notice that the website still hasn't changed to "pending" so I called and talked to Marian Stahl. She can't find any record of the application being received. She is to call me back after checking on it.

I sent my instructor's packet back at the same time in a separate envelope. They got it without any problem and have me set for my class, but the website still shows the "packet mailed to applicant" message on the instructors side of the website.

I don't know what is going on down there, but it doesn't sound good to me. Sounds like an office in chaos...............

wrt45
Posts in topic: 3

Post by wrt45 »

Received a nice call from DPS late this afternoon. They had located the missing paperwork, were very apologetic, and assured me that it would be processed in plenty of time to beat my expiration deadline. Once I receive it, I'll post again.

However, there wasn't any real explanation for how an entire application packet got misplaced for six weeks.

Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

They received my application for a new (first-time) permit on May 31st, according to the Post Office receipt. I had it in my mailbox on July 18th. So, 49 calendar days. I didn't have anything sent back to me that needed to be re-done.

They were also nice and set my expiration to 2010. Since my birthday was July 19th, I had been worrying that my first year might have been really short :D .
Last edited by Kaizen on Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wester

Post by wester »

I mailed mine on 6/20 forgot to sign a picture and received my license today (9/1/05) for a total of 86 days. But some of that was my fault.

HK_USP_P2000

Post by HK_USP_P2000 »

Mine took slightly over a month for a new application. It took 40 days even.

Sent my completed packet on Aug. 16th and delivered in Austin on the 18th.
I got my CHL in the mail today Sept 26.

I didn't have to re-send anything, so I'm amazed at the quickness of the process. Just in time too as I'm picking up my new P2000 next week :D
Last edited by HK_USP_P2000 on Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PharmD2B

Post by PharmD2B »

Howdy y'all,

My first post to tell everyone about my CHL experience.

Took class in College Station on 8/7/05.
Mailed packet snail mail w/ return rec. 8/12/05
DPS received 8/15/05
CHL received 9/29/05

Right at 45 days. Can't beat that I don't guess!!!
The only safety that counts is the one between your ears!!!!

XD 9mm Service
Colt Grey Duracoat finish
Meprolight Night Sights

NRA Life Member (almost)
TSRA Member
TXDPSA Member

dws1117
Posts in topic: 14

Post by dws1117 »

It appears as if the processing time may be getting better. Here's hoping it continues.

John_Rodriguez

Post by John_Rodriguez »

Still waiting on mine sent on Aug 22nd. I'm going to give them a call on October 12th or so which puts it at 55days if my cobbled together counting is correct :shock:
LPRC member #709

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”