DWI arrest while CHL is an automatic UCW...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Bullwhip
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DWI arrest while CHL is an automatic UCW...

Post by Bullwhip »

kjolly wrote:I never drink with my gun. He is not a good conversationist. "rlol"
I have some ww1/ww2 rifles I wish could talk... I raise a glass to them now an then, they're too proud to tell tales.

AdioSS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AdioSS »

What if you always carry a firearm in your vehicle, or you are carrying during the day & stop off somewhere to have a few drinks with friends before going home? :cheers2:

texanron

Post by texanron »

AdioSS wrote:What if you always carry a firearm in your vehicle, or you are carrying during the day & stop off somewhere to have a few drinks with friends before going home? :cheers2:
I was told in my CHL class to store the gun in your vehicle so that it is out of your reach while you're in the vehicle. I would do this upon arrival at the drinking establishment.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gigag04 »

AdioSS wrote:What if you always carry a firearm in your vehicle, or you are carrying during the day & stop off somewhere to have a few drinks with friends before going home? :cheers2:
Is it in your care, custody, and control?

If you're DWI. not even MPA will cover you. So either don't have as many drinks, or secure the gun elsewhere (maybe the trunk, but techincally you get still get filed on. I doubt those would stick.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

MrShootert
Posts in topic: 1

Post by MrShootert »

In looking up the penal code, "Intoxicated" means:
(A) not having the normal use of mental or physical faculties by reason of the introduction of alcohol, a controlled substance, a drug, a dangerous drug, a combination of two or more of those substances, or any other substance into the body; or
(B) having an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more.

So we need to watch out for those cold and allergy medicines and prescription drugs that warn about not driving and operating heavy machinery.

I also stumbled on something else I didn't know: Driving while intoxicated with a child passenger (<16 years old) is a state jail felony. The next step up in seriousness from a Class A misdemeanor.

Texas is real tough on DWI :txflag:

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

we're in Texas, so naturally a bunch of us drive trucks. There isn't much of the inside of the vehicle that I cannot reach from the driver's seat.

I guess I could put it in a briefcase behind the driver's seat where the driver cannot easily reach it. Does anybody think there would be any issues with that?

I'm not talking about drinking while intoxicated. I very rarely drink that much at bars. But having a few drinks while playing poker (technically not gambling) or watching a rock concert or something like that is pretty common.

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gigag04 »

If you're ok to drive you're ok to carry.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”