Kel Tec P-11?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kjolly
Posts in topic: 2

Kel Tec P-11?

Post by kjolly »

I love the little gun and with the 12 round magazine +1 in the chamber = 13 9mm rounds gives a awesome amout of firepower for a gun easily concealed and fits the hand. Have some concern that the striker hammer could discharge the gun if dropped. Has anyone ever had a AD?
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kel Tec P-11?

Post by 2farnorth »

I haven't heard of any, but if you go to the KTOG forum they have a section specifically for the P11. A search or question there would get you an answer. I know they designed the PF9 with a hammer block to prevent a drop fire. Because of that the PF9 doesn't have a double strike/restrike capability like the P11 does. I like to know the answer also.
N5PNZ

n1nthw9rd

Post by n1nthw9rd »

i have a p11 and although there is no external safety, its perfectly safe.

its a DAO so the hammer is never cocked and kel tec has done hundreds of drop tests and dropping the gun from a normal carrying height didnt produce 1 accidental discharge.

Topic author
kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Thanks for the responses. I do trust the gun and really like it, was just curious. Know cowboys used to carry the hammer on a empty chamber but in a semi I really like the faster response of carrying with +1 in the chamber.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

CEOofEVIL

Post by CEOofEVIL »

I've also own a P11 and don't feel that it will ever fire if dropped or bumped the wrong way. I carry it daily with one in the tube, and the only way I know it will go bang is if I pull that long, heavy trigger hehe. In my opinion, it's as safe as they come. :txflag:

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

Is there a such thing as a striker fired gun that is DA/SA not just DAO
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

loadedliberal wrote:Is there a such thing as a striker fired gun that is DA/SA not just DAO
No sir. :tiphat:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

longtooth wrote:
loadedliberal wrote:Is there a such thing as a striker fired gun that is DA/SA not just DAO
The Taurus Millennium Pro Series is DA/SA

edit: Although even the SA felt like a long pull to me on my PT145.
TANSTAAFL

Westfield

Post by Westfield »

The P 11 sure ain't the purdiest gun in the west, But I carry mine every day. That hard long trigger pull makes it unlikely that you will get an accidental discharge.
A lot of people complain about the trigger pull but it is not meant to be a range gun.

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

74novaman wrote:
longtooth wrote:
The Taurus Millennium Pro Series is DA/SA

edit: Although even the SA felt like a long pull to me on my PT145.
This is exactly why I love this forum, I ask what I think to be a stupid question and instead of berating me with insults I get polite responces. The people here are so friendly and this site is truly a asset to the CHL community. :tiphat:
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

2up1down

Post by 2up1down »

kjolly wrote:I love the little gun and with the 12 round magazine +1 in the chamber = 13 9mm rounds gives a awesome amout of firepower for a gun easily concealed and fits the hand. Have some concern that the striker hammer could discharge the gun if dropped. Has anyone ever had a AD?
My first pistol, not supplied by the USA, was serial number 0996. Miss that little ammo eater.
I found when I was training with Tim Oxley that most of the S&W 59 series mag fit and you can
purchase a wrap around for the excess. http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/p- ... extension/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Giving you a total of 15+1 in battery or a solid 15 for backup, also increasing grip area nicely for larger hands.

The design is such that without pulling the trigger there is not enough energy produced, even by dropping,
to overcome the firing pin spring and low-mass hammer.

Enjoy and any questions stop by http://www.ktog.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

+1 for KTOG & the P-11 :fire

e-bil

Post by e-bil »

I have a Gen 1 24/7 and it has the same DA/SA type trigger. The only thing I've every had to use the double action on my Milpro is a box of Delta reloads I got at the range. Almost half that box would not fire on the first pull.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”