Smaller Backup Guns?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
pfgrone
Posts in topic: 1

Smaller Backup Guns?

Post by pfgrone »

Help me understand something. I see many, many references to using a larger caliber handgun as a primary carry and a much smaller caliber gun as a backup. What I don't understand is if a person needed a large caliber for the first gun, why wouldn't he/she also need a large caliber as a backup? Or, to put it another way, if a small caliber is adequate when a backup is needed, then why wasn't it adequate as a primary also. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I just don't understand the logic. What am I missing?
Paul G.
Have a nice day unless you've already made other plans.

BrianSW99

Re: Smaller Backup Guns?

Post by BrianSW99 »

pfgrone wrote:Help me understand something. I see many, many references to using a larger caliber handgun as a primary carry and a much smaller caliber gun as a backup. What I don't understand is if a person needed a large caliber for the first gun, why wouldn't he/she also need a large caliber as a backup? Or, to put it another way, if a small caliber is adequate when a backup is needed, then why wasn't it adequate as a primary also. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I just don't understand the logic. What am I missing?
Backup guns need to be smaller because of where they're normally carried. There just aren't really any .45 caliber pocket guns the size of an LCP.

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

pfgrone:

In an ideal self defense situation, your "primary" in a larger caliber should be all you need to defend yourself.

BUG's (Back Up Guns) are smaller since carrying TWO of your larger handguns would present concealment problems.

A BUG may be a smaller caliber than your primary, but a BUG will still spoil a BG's day, even if its caliber is < your primary's caliber.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Mike1951

Post by Mike1951 »

I can easily carry two J-frame .38s. But instead, I carry a 6-shot .357, one J-frame in .38 Spcl, and 12 rounds of .38 Spcl ammo to reload either.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

pfgrone wrote:What I don't understand is if a person needed a large caliber for the first gun, why wouldn't he/she also need a large caliber as a backup? Or, to put it another way, if a small caliber is adequate when a backup is needed, then why wasn't it adequate as a primary also. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I just don't understand the logic. What am I missing?
I think you are missing the reality of life and compromises - when you say that a person "needed a large caliber for the first gun" most people in fact do not need any gun at all. However, they may at some point need a gun, so they choose to carry whichever caliber they are comfortable with, with a general consensus (though not unanimous) that the bigger the better.

Other decide to be even further prepared and carry a secondary weapon, usually in a less accessible location. While it would be great to carry two full size duty pistols chambered in service calibers on each hip - that is not practical. Carrying a "primary" weapon, of any size on a daily basis proves to be enough of a challenge that those that choose to be extra prepared with a BUG, often do so on an ankle, in a pocket, or some other highly concealable, slowly drawn position. They trade off ease of access with conceal-ability, size of caliber, and extreme unlikelihood of use. I often base my carry decisions on "well this isn't ideal, but at least it is something." I've said it before that any of us, if found in a gun fight, will want something bigger, faster, and with a higher capacity that whatever we have on us at that time. However, in the real world, the odds of a gunfight are so low, that we weigh practical trade-offs and make decisions accordingly.

I carry a smaller backup pistol with me on duty, because it may just take two guns to shoot my way to my rifle and another radio.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

seeker_two
Banned

Post by seeker_two »

To throw a twist to the discussion....

I've known a few people who carry a small-sized pocket pistol in their strong-side pocket as their "primary" while carrying a larger caliber pistol in a more concealed, less-readily-accessible position (shoulder holster/belly band under tucked shirt, ankle holster, SmartCarry, etc.). The thinking process is that the pocket pistol is easier to access discretely if trouble is seen and will deal with most problems adequately. If the situation spirals downward (i.e. Luby's shooting), the pocket pistol buys the person enough time to get to cover and access the larger gun.

So, in that case, which is the BUG?....
Howdy y'all. Glad to be here.....

A-R

Post by A-R »

Interesting modern CHL equivalent of the old saying "a pistol is what you use to fight your way back to your rifle"

In this case, use a BUG to fight your way to your larger pistol.

I've actually done something similar to this if carrying my larger gun tucked IWB, I'll have a lil .38/.380 in front off-hand pocket in case I need something faster (though with practice my draw even from tucked is reasonably fast now ... long as I don't snag) ... this is also how I carry twin J-frames in a "New York reload" set up - one snubby tucked IWB strong side, other snubby in front weak side pocket

fulano

Post by fulano »

pfgrone wrote:Help me understand something. I see many, many references to using a larger caliber handgun as a primary carry and a much smaller caliber gun as a backup. What I don't understand is if a person needed a large caliber for the first gun, why wouldn't he/she also need a large caliber as a backup? Or, to put it another way, if a small caliber is adequate when a backup is needed, then why wasn't it adequate as a primary also. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I just don't understand the logic. What am I missing?
I'm not batman and don't have such a role.

For me a BUG is like another layer of security. Like my everyday knife. That's to say, it is not the ultimate carry piece but just something to give me an option if things go astray. I only carry one in my pocket so safety is important and dictates the style of gun...a safety. Other than that, I think caliber doesn't matter here. If its too big it won't be carried.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

gigag04 wrote:I've said it before that any of us, if found in a gun fight, will want something bigger, faster, and with a higher capacity that whatever we have on us at that time. However, in the real world, the odds of a gunfight are so low, that we weigh practical trade-offs and make decisions accordingly.
Wow, finally some sanity.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G26ster wrote:
gigag04 wrote:I've said it before that any of us, if found in a gun fight, will want something bigger, faster, and with a higher capacity that whatever we have on us at that time. However, in the real world, the odds of a gunfight are so low, that we weigh practical trade-offs and make decisions accordingly.
That's why my backup gun is a cop. :mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Millerk420

Post by Millerk420 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
G26ster wrote:
That's why my backup gun is a cop. :mrgreen:
My BUG is my wife hahaha..

2up1down
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2up1down »

Everyone's given the reasons, size, placement weight, but
don't forget in an extended engagement two different calibers
increase the odds that you might be able to pick up and use....
Whatever caliber the ZOMBIES are using. :evil2:
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

2up1down wrote:Everyone's given the reasons, size, placement weight, but
If that's one of your objectives, I suggest making one of your guns a 9MM and the other a .45.

That should cover about 95% of the street gunfights you'll encounter. :lol:

Seriously, think this one through:

If you're out of ammo and your opponent is not, do you think he'll let you have some of his in any manner except one round at a time - projectile only?
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

2up1down
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2up1down »

Excaliber wrote:
2up1down wrote:Everyone's given the reasons, size, placement weight, but
If that's one of your objectives, I suggest making one of your guns a 9MM and the other a .45.

That should cover about 95% of the street gunfights you'll encounter. :lol:

Seriously, think this one through:

If you're out of ammo and your opponent is not, do you think he'll let you have some of his in any manner except one round at a time - projectile only?
Yes SIR! I don't expect him to share, willingly.

Extended engagement, multiple threats, or if all the ammo has been looted,
take it from the one's that have already been perforated and drive on.

XDm .45 and PF9
Become a Student of the Law we live under and proficient in the protection of yourself: so you may protect your Family, State and way of Live. Awareness is your first defense, avoidance your first tactic. If engagement is forced, Stop when the threat is gone.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”