gun cleaning question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
n1nthw9rd
Posts in topic: 1

gun cleaning question

Post by n1nthw9rd »

will cleaning your gun frequently hurt the internals at all, or is it advisable to clean it thoroughly once a week, especially for a daily carry?

G.A. Heath

Re: gun cleaning question

Post by G.A. Heath »

I clean them after shooting and once a month if carried. If they stay in the safe unfired for a while I typically pull them out check them out, oil them, and return them. As for harming the internals it only harms them if you detail strip and incorrectly reassemble them.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Pug

Post by Pug »

G.A. Heath wrote:I clean them after shooting and once a month if carried. If they stay in the safe unfired for a while I typically pull them out check them out, oil them, and return them. As for harming the internals it only harms them if you detail strip and incorrectly reassemble them.
:iagree:

The only exception to the above would be if you use solvent when not needed or in excess, or if you should use any brush made of a hard metal (if you're going to use one use brass).

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

I think the answer is really dependent on the weapon.
For my Glocks, I try and clean them after each use. However, I wouldn't freak out if I skipped a time now and then.
My LCP isn't even fun to shoot, so that stays pretty clean.
For my Ar15s I must clean them each time. (those extractors and firing pins build up concrete like carbon that wouldn't come off if not cleaned soon after)

Just remember, the more oil you leave on the gun (or if you run it very wet) you'll find far more debris, copper, and dirt. Depending on the gun, a few drops will usually suffice.
NRA Member

NavAir

Post by NavAir »

george wrote:I clean them every time I shoot them. Just wipe down the carry pistol every day, and clean it after I shoot it (at least once a month). But I do not remove the side plate on a revolver that often, maybe every couple of years.

jmoney

Post by jmoney »

RSJ wrote:I think the answer is really dependent on the weapon.
For my Glocks, I try and clean them after each use. However, I wouldn't freak out if I skipped a time now and then.
I try and clean my glock at least once a month or every 1000 rounds, whichever comes first...but like he said above...its a glock, I would be shocked if it ever had a problem. People have left those things underground for years, dug them up and fired 500 rounds through just to see if they could get a missfire.

However, I would not recommend the same for all of you carrying "nickel plated sissy pistols" :lol:

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

OK Honey,.........

You can stop that digging now.....
I've decided to keep my 1911's in the safe instead! :biggrinjester:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

NavAir wrote:
george wrote:I clean them every time I shoot them. Just wipe down the carry pistol every day, and clean it after I shoot it (at least once a month). But I do not remove the side plate on a revolver that often, maybe every couple of years.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

You're supposed to clean them?

Just kidding. :mrgreen:

I usually (but not always) clean them after every trip the range. Otherwise, I just wipe them down once in a while and blow the lint off them.

Regarding wet versus dry, it kinda depends on the gun, and what lubricants you use, AND how you store the gun when not in use.

I tend to run my ARs wet. I've tried it the other way, and wet works better. For me. YMMV.

My M1A doesn't use much oil, but it does take a proper application of heavy rifle grease (similar to wheel bearing grease) on the bolt roller and roller guideway.

My bolt rifles get a judicious but sparing application of lube in the bolt races, but otherwise I tend to run them more dry than wet.

My pistols get lubed on the factory recommended spots with the factory recommended amounts of lube, and I use that Wilson Combat white grease on the frame rails.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”