Summertime clothing options for CC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Summertime clothing options for CC

Post by Pawpaw »

Kythas wrote:This is actually a pretty good thread, as I've been considering getting a OWB holster for my XD-40. What are your recommendations for comfortable holsters that would allow me to wear nothing but a t-shirt over it in the summer?
I do exactly that with a Wilderness Instructor's belt and a Tucker First Strike Holster with the leather lining. It comes with both the paddle and belt attachments, but I only use the paddle.

They do make them for XD's.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

Kythas,

College Station may not be in the hottest part of Texas, but we do get up there this time of year.

I carry various handguns depending on what appeals to me at the time, but I carry at least one at all times, usually with a little .38 S&W "Airweight" BUG in a pocket. I use a CrossBreed IWB for my full-size Colt "real" m1911 .45, which also serves well for my shorter and not quite so heavy Colt Defender .45. Often a different CrossBreed holds my SP-101, a very comfortable summertime carry. In all three cases the little S&W will usually be on me somewhere.

I wear 5.11* shorts 365 days of the year, along with a Duluth Traders** long-tailed T-shirt outside, or, for "dressup," a 5.11 Covert Casual wicking short-sleeved shirt outside (great deal on these right now on the 5.11 website).

* http://www.511tactical.com/Shop?utm_sou ... =pepperjam" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

** http://www.duluthtrading.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I recently went to an instructor's belt from a heavy gunbelt, and I like it.

I wore the same attire 365 days a year when I was living at Crystal Beach, on the Bolivar Peninsula, before hurricane Ike drove us ashore.

This is just to give you a look at some other options available out there. 5.11 of course makes its products for concealed carry no secret and it has plenty of pockets for ammo or anything else you carry. The extra two inches length on the Duluth T-shirts make IWB concealment "no sweat" in the summertime. Different ships, different long splices, but trial and error made these my favorites.

Jim

5thGenTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Kythas wrote:This is actually a pretty good thread, as I've been considering getting a OWB holster for my XD-40. What are your recommendations for comfortable holsters that would allow me to wear nothing but a t-shirt over it in the summer?
I use a Don Hume JIT Slide with 3" SP101 or a pancake with Taurus PT140 either between the belt and shorts to keep it tighter to the body or outside the belt with darker or heavier shirts. No problems either way as long as the shirts are long enough. For reference 5' 10" and 230lbs.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

Thanks for the replies. I'll check these holsters out.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

fulano

Post by fulano »

This works for me although I don't use it everyday. It is just part of the tool kit.
http://www.kangaroocarry.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I know these things have been reviewed here several times before so I'll only say that I have one and it is easily covered with a golf shirt or tee shirt in the summer. I like it because I can tuck a shirt in. search this site to read other's opinions.

You just need to make sure to dry the gun at the end of the day because you will sweat on it.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

45 4 life
Posts in topic: 1

Post by 45 4 life »

If you are trying to keep weight off of the waste line, try light cotton undershirt in waste band or out, add suspenders, then cover with a light untucked shirt. This will help keep everything up for those like me who are a little thick in the mid section.
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

Westfield

Post by Westfield »

Cargo shorts work great for me. In the summer I carry a p-11 Kel-Tec and carry either iwb or owb with a loose shirt. comfortable with no problems at all.

Texas Size 11

Post by Texas Size 11 »

RoyGBiv wrote:With a good belt, and properly oversized shorts, you shouldn't have much trouble...
With shorts I wear a 1.5" tactical web belt. Infinitely adjustable. Appropriate match for shorts. Cheap.
My 5.11 belt cost me about $15. Works fine.

No problems carrying my HK .40 [P2KSK]
I do find that hitching my shorts just a bit higher helps too.

My problem is with shirts... Hard to find something light enough that still provides good cover.
Just ordered one of those Woolrich shirts... looking forward to giving it a try.
http://www.woolrichelitetactical.com/pr ... -shirt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/botach_2159_455710299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep. I carry a G22 all summer with shorts and a 5.11. I don't wear t-shirts and stick to the hawaiian style shirt (sans the ugly prints.) I use a OWB holster and have never had trouble. I might be a tad bit more hot than the guy next to me with the t-shirt, but I can live with it.

I do use cargo shorts too...especially if I am carrying one of my pocket guns.
Never pet a burning dog...

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I was thinking of reducing my clothing to a thong or loincloth this summer, and I need a carry option that will stand up to sweat real well. Anybody have any ideas?

:mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

texanron
Posts in topic: 4

Post by texanron »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I was thinking of reducing my clothing to a thong or loincloth this summer, and I need a carry option that will stand up to sweat real well. Anybody have any ideas?

:mrgreen:
I would recommend staying inside in the AC to avoid scaring the women and children!
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Dave905

Post by Dave905 »

I like this option for cargo shorts:

/www.handgunholsters.net/

It's not as accessible as OWB but it conceals completely and I can wear my shirts tucked-in if I want. I've used this for the last four summers and I've been realy pleased with it.

Dave

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

Driving home in Downtown Austin the other day I had this sudden horible vision of a man in a thong on a bicycle pass across the pedestrian lane at a stop light. Had to restrain myself not to put my eyes out. Keep pencil away from eyes...
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

kjolly wrote:Driving home in Downtown Austin the other day I had this sudden horible vision of a man in a thong on a bicycle pass across the pedestrian lane at a stop light. Had to restrain myself not to put my eyes out. Keep pencil away from eyes...
I didn't realize TAM was visting Austin...
Psalm 91:2

schufflerbot

Post by schufflerbot »

i just ordered a UTG tactical web belt (nylon, pretty much) for $13 shipped from Ebay.

imho, if you have a good belt you can wear whatever kind of shorts you want.

fulano

Post by fulano »

schufflerbot wrote:i just ordered a UTG tactical web belt (nylon, pretty much) for $13 shipped from Ebay.

imho, if you have a good belt you can wear whatever kind of shorts you want.
do you have a link that describes the web belt?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”