Summertime clothing options for CC

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
TxFig
Posts in topic: 2

Summertime clothing options for CC

Post by TxFig »

Being that I work at a state university and the bill did not yet pass, I don't get to carry 24/7. Which means, even though I would like to carry all the time, it isn't something I am really accustomed to doing.

For those times I wear "normal clothing", this isn't a big deal. I have a crossbreed super tuck which is comfortable enough for my Kimber CDP II. I also have a Kel-Tec PF9 for those times where a somewhat smaller gun is preferred (but I do not yet have a CC holster for it).

My question/problem is carrying for "summertime clothing". Specifically - lightweight shorts that are appropriate for 100 degree days just don't seem to have enough "build" to them to support the weight of even my 11 oz Kel-Tec. If I try to put the gun in my pocket (it fits and stays hidden), the whole side of my shorts gets pulled down to the point you'd think I was trying to be a gansta on one side. And this is with the "heavier shorts" that I can wear a belt.... if I try it with shorts with a draw string - I can't even get out the door without the shorts being around my ankles.

Surely somebody SOMEWHERE has clothes that can be worn in Texas summers that can still conceal a gun bigger than a derringer???

texanron
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Summertime clothing options for CC

Post by texanron »

Have you tried cargo shorts? I conceal a G26 in an IWB holster on a belt with no problems wearing cargo shorts. If you have tried these perhaps a smaller size would help.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

Steve M
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Steve M »

texanron wrote:Have you tried cargo shorts? I conceal a G26 in an IWB holster on a belt with no problems wearing cargo shorts. If you have tried these perhaps a smaller size would help.
+! for cargo shorts. Outside of that you are looking at Thunderwear or belly band (hot).

Katygunnut
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Katygunnut »

texanron wrote:Have you tried cargo shorts? I conceal a G26 in an IWB holster on a belt with no problems wearing cargo shorts. If you have tried these perhaps a smaller size would help.
:iagree:

I spent 2 days at Kemah last weekend in 90-100+ heat. Cargo shorts with an OWB holster and a loose T-shirt worked fine for my G26. I even went on a variety of rides (everything except that egg scrambler thing and the Inverter), with no issues. I have also used an IWB holster, but I personally have no problem concealing OWB with a G26 and a loose T-shirt.

You can also pick-up a Tommy Bahama style shirt. Those are great with a pair of decent shorts and a belt. I can carry a G19 pretty comfortably under one of those, and they are lightweight enough to keep you cool.

Just make sure to wear a cotton undershirt as well.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

another +1 for cargo shorts. I wear Lee Dungaree cargo shorts..the pockets are big enough to fit my 5 shot .357, the belt loops can fit a gun belt so I can carry my supertuck, and they're light enough for the summers in my opinion. They are also durable as heck. When I finally wore out my first pair a year later, I bought 3 more. :tiphat:
TANSTAAFL

snatchel

Post by snatchel »

And yet ANOTHER +1 on the cargo shorts with a G26, hybrid holster, extra mag. No probs at all with a t-shirt. That said, I use a smartcarry for those times that I wear gym shorts or shorts without beltloops. They are expensive from the smartcarry website, but you can find them cheaper on amazon and ebay and such.

Keep in mind that there are no "printing" laws in Texas. I print occasionally.. but like I have said before "I print enough sometimes that someone who knows what a gun-under-the-t-shirt-looks-like would know I had one... but to everyone else it could be anything."
No More Signature

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Golf or cargo shorts either IWB or OWB with Kahr CW40 or Ruger SP101 with Tee, golf shirt or Hawaiian shirt I tend to wear an XL shirt which is half size large, just don't like tight fitting shirts. Covers just fine and gunbelt keeps the pants out of the gangsta style issue. The only time I wear drawstring shorts is to lounge around the house or go to the gym.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

IMO, it's going to be difficult to pocket carry in any shorts without a belt. Also, having a pocket holster really helps, and they're cheap. I honestly just wear my cargo pants most of the time, even in the summer, but I would look at something like this in the way of shorts:

http://www.woolrichelitetactical.com/pr ... tshort.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They also have a heavier weight version, but it sounds like you'd prefer something lighter. I wear the Woolrich pants and find them to be extremely comfortable.

Brian

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

With a good belt, and properly oversized shorts, you shouldn't have much trouble...
With shorts I wear a 1.5" tactical web belt. Infinitely adjustable. Appropriate match for shorts. Cheap.
My 5.11 belt cost me about $15. Works fine.

No problems carrying my HK .40 [P2KSK]
I do find that hitching my shorts just a bit higher helps too.

My problem is with shirts... Hard to find something light enough that still provides good cover.
Just ordered one of those Woolrich shirts... looking forward to giving it a try.
http://www.woolrichelitetactical.com/pr ... -shirt.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/botach_2159_455710299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Topic author
TxFig

Post by TxFig »

What I really had in mind was a pair of cargo shorts, with a holster built-in to the cargo pocket (with optional straps or elastic inside the pant leg to hold it tighter to the leg to keep from pulling down on the waist band). What I'm really wanting to to take the weight off my belt line entirely....

Just for grins I put the Kel-Tec in an OWB holster and put a t-shirt on over it. The printing was more than a little obvious.

I should add, my mid-section girth is somewhat "not skinny". I frequently have to wear my belts tighter than I really like to keep my pants from sliding down .... without the weight of a gun added. Yeah yeah yeah, I know - I should loose weight. :grumble

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

What kind of belt are you using?

I conceal a Glock 19 during the summer in cargo shorts with a Wilderness Instructor's Belt, with a button-down shirt untucked (and undershirt between gun and skin).
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

billv

Post by billv »

I've been using a heavy duty belt made for pistols, from Blackhawk with cargo shorts. That holds my Serpa retention holster with my XDM 45. That's a heavy gun and I need to keep the belt tight to keep the gun upright or else is flops to the side. On the weak side I have a single Galco leather double stack mag holder that clips to the belt - it's actually for a Glock 17 but the magazines for the XDM fit just fine. Twenty-seven bullets should be enough.

For a shirt I either wear a long t-shirt or a Hawaiian shirt. In the winter I wear the t-shirt on the inside and Hawaiian shirt over that with the bottom button buttoned. If it's really cold, a heavier jacket. So far so good.

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

This is actually a pretty good thread, as I've been considering getting a OWB holster for my XD-40. What are your recommendations for comfortable holsters that would allow me to wear nothing but a t-shirt over it in the summer?
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

10 months a year I'm in Cargo Shorts, CompTac reinforced gun belt; rarely do I carry 4 guns, but 2 or 3 is no problem.

Normally I have one IWB, 1 inside front pocket, spare mags in other front pocket

Xtra Tall Tee Shirt from JC Penneys or Duluth Trading Co
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

kjolly

Post by kjolly »

If pocket carryinf the PF-9 get yourself a good pocket holster that covers the trigger and keep everything else out of the pocket. I've heard some bad stories of pocket pistols carried without holsters accidently discharging. I use a Desantis with my P-11 Kel Tec.
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Certified Trainer, IDPA
NRA Range Safety Officer

http://www.tacticalpistol.us

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”