extra mag

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 3

Re: extra mag

Post by hirundo82 »

Steve M wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Two is one, and one is none.
Which is why you should carry two pistols. :shock:
Many of us do.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

hirundo82 wrote:
Steve M wrote:
Many of us do.
Yup. In the extreme case: at work I carry two guns, 2 extra pistol mags on the belt, and an AR mag on the belt.

All that said, many times when I'm of duty I just carry a single pistol. There are times when I do more, but I'm comfortable with one.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

fulano wrote:Options. A sheep has no options.
The choice to carry a pistol but not a spare magazine doesn't make you a sheep. That was kind of un-called for. That said, I always carry a spare, or a speedloader if I'm carrying a revolver—for mechanical reliability reasons as mentioned above for my semi-autos, and because my carry revolvers are 5-shot snubbies. But, I rarely carry a second backup magazine/speedloader, the exception being when I use a shoulder holster.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 3

Post by hirundo82 »

gigag04 wrote:
hirundo82 wrote:
Steve M wrote:
Many of us do.
Yup. In the extreme case: at work I carry two guns, 2 extra pistol mags on the belt, and an AR mag on the belt.

All that said, many times when I'm of duty I just carry a single pistol. There are times when I do more, but I'm comfortable with one.
I once concealed four pistols (shoulder holster, belt, ankle, pocket) with reloads just to see if I could do it. It's possible, but kind of unwieldy.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

speedsix
Posts in topic: 6

Post by speedsix »

...meaning that since we've decided to carry, we can carry one or two, extra mags or not...yeah...old as I am, and out of shape, running and bleating isn't an option, so I have to carry enough that I won't have to...primary and 3 mags, BUG and 4 speed strips or one hicap mag, depending on which I carry...
...I've carried the world in my pockets since i was a lad...Mom never spanked me with her bare hand...so it doesn't bother me to carry a lot...and it sure would bother me if I needed more'n I had...or didn't have anything to hand to my partner, who is unlicensed...we work in some baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad places....options are good...

fulano
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fulano »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
The choice to carry a pistol but not a spare magazine doesn't make you a sheep. That was kind of un-called for. That said, I always carry a spare, or a speedloader if I'm carrying a revolver—for mechanical reliability reasons as mentioned above for my semi-autos, and because my carry revolvers are 5-shot snubbies. But, I rarely carry a second backup magazine/speedloader, the exception being when I use a shoulder holster.
Sorry I was so brief. Perhaps I should have written "a mag gives you more options".

No carry (of a gun) is a sheep.
Every piece of tactical gear is another option. A spare mag is an option.
I carry a gun, a mag, a knife, cord, and usually a light. Each gives me more options.

There is a limit. For me its where I am or where I'm going. In town I carry the above. If I'm in the back country, I carry a pack with lots and lots of options...even a dry pair of underware :mrgreen:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

speedsix
Posts in topic: 6

Post by speedsix »

...din't know you were that old...most younguns carry spare dry SOCKS... ;-)

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Reason to carry one or more extra mags...

You're at the mall. The Zombie Apocalypse breaks out.
You've got Zombies (the fast kind) coming at you from all directions.

...aren't you glad you have extra ammo?
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

USA1 wrote:Reason to carry one or more extra mags...

You're at the mall. The Zombie Apocalypse breaks out.
You've got Zombies (the fast kind) coming at you from all directions.

...aren't you glad you have extra ammo?
USA1 for President! :hurry: :clapping:

Really though, I carry only a spare mag with my .380. Just because both my .380's only carry 7 rounds each (both in condition one.) I also hate the .380 because it's so damn small though and know for fact that it wont stop any attack (of course based on shot placement, and knowing that I suck with my lil 380 at 15 yards) However with my 1911, I never carry a spare mag (except on trips, in that case 2). I'm great with that gun and feel so comfortable w it. To each his own though. Don't get me wrong, I've kind of did this :roll: to some people due to what they carry, but I'm not them. Just be glad they're on your side :evil2:
We don't need no stinking badges!

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

It's simple - - - Murphy's law is universal - - - One is none two is one - - - The world is full of evil people - - - Expect the worst hope for the best- - - Be Prepared.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

texanron

Post by texanron »

As soon as I pick up a ankle holster I'll be carrying two firearms with two extra mags for each for a total of 6 mags & 71 rounds. A little paranoid......maybe......but then again......I do live in the Houston area.
12/17/2010 CHL
5/21/2012 non-resident CHL

HotLeadSolutions

Post by HotLeadSolutions »

Daily:

.40 cal with 15+1, 2 spare mags (15 each) = 46 rounds
5 shot .38+p
In the car my AR with 60 rounds.

Paranoid?...Don't think so...I just like guns!

But if I ever have to go to guns....I have options.
Daniel
CHL Instructor
Dallas Concealed Carry
http://www.DallasConcealedCarry.com

Heartland Patriot

Post by Heartland Patriot »

I read a book not so long ago about some Rangers during the Vietnam War...the thing that stuck with me the most from that book (and it was very well written) was one statement. "Better to have and not need, than need and not have". While it can be overdone, obviously, it can also be helpful if applied with some logic and common sense (yes, I know the jokes that go with that). Chances are that you may NEVER need even the rounds in the weapon itself (and I pray that it is so for the rest of my life, and I hope its a long one). But, if you do need the extra rounds, for whatever the reason, they won't do you any good at the house in the gun cabinet. Same goes for a flashlight, a cell phone, and some sort of a knife. All useful things, in a bad situation. Not paranoid, just prepared.

glbedd53

Post by glbedd53 »

I don't plan on having a flat tire either. But I'm gonna keep on taking that spare along anyway. It doesn't hurt my fuel economy that much.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”