Status of Campus Carry and Parking Lot (in layman's terms)

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Status of Campus Carry and Parking Lot (in layman's term

Post by RPB »

on a lighter note :mrgreen:
@RodneyEllis said

Thanks to Bike Texas for helping me clear my head this session. They made a real difference! http://twitpic.com/547u3i" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://twitpic.com/547v6y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and http://twitpic.com/547euw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
To which I couldn't resist replying:
@RodneyEllis I'm still shopping for best saddlebags to store my gun when running into campus library, suggestions? signed 56 yr old CHL
"rlol"
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

tbrown
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tbrown »

In layman's terms, is it correct to say the parking lot bill doesn't change where it's legal to have a gun in a car or truck, for 95% (or more) of us? What it does is prohibit an employer from firing an employee or taking other disciplinary action for having a gun in their personal vehicle.
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

tbrown wrote:In layman's terms, is it correct to say the parking lot bill doesn't change where it's legal to have a gun in a car or truck, for 95% (or more) of us? What it does is prohibit an employer from firing an employee or taking other disciplinary action for having a gun in their personal vehicle.
You are correct, except I believe the "no guns" provisions adopted by many employers, especially large employers, means SB321 will impact a large percentage of the Texas working population. If by 95% you mean that it does not impact us outside of our employment, then I agree with that also.

Chas.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Thanks for confirming. Keeping a job is very important, especially in the Obama era, and I agree the law is a boon for many Texas employees.

I'm just trying to boil it down to explain to people. So, it doesn't change where guns are legal, it only stops employers from firing you over your private property in your private vehicle. (I know it's a big deal for us, but if it "only" affects discriminatory firing, it's not a big deal to most people who aren't pro/anti activists.)

Final question: Are chemical plant and refinery parking off limits now by law or company policy?
I know federal facilities are off limits by federal law, and the parking lot bill doesn't change that.

Thank you for helping me understand so I can explain to others. :tiphat:
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

pedalman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by pedalman »

I'll take this victory. I already work at a place where carry inside the buildings is prohibited by statute (community college), but it would be nice to have the option to use the parking lot again.

Since being licensed, I had to eschew the parking lot and park on the street. Not exactly a hardship, but annoying just the same.

Now that parking lots have been won over, who knows what the next legislative session will bring?

rm9792
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rm9792 »

So I am lost from all the back and forth. Parking lots are a go and campus carry is dead?

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 3

Post by BrianSW99 »

rm9792 wrote:So I am lost from all the back and forth. Parking lots are a go and campus carry is dead?
Correct.

Brian

sigma9

Post by sigma9 »

SB 321 sent to the Governor!!!!!!
:cheers2: :hurry:
:thewave

This one will affect me, my employer will no longer be able to infringe on my 2nd amendment right before and after work.
CHL Class taken: Aug. 22nd
Online Application done and packet mailed: Sept. 29th
Packet recieved: Oct. 13th
Fingerprints complete: Oct. 17th
Background check complete/manufacturing pending: Oct. 28th
Mailed: Oct. 30th
Plastic in hand: Nov. 4th

36 Days Mailbox to mailbox!!!

JackRR

Post by JackRR »

sigma9 wrote:SB 321 sent to the Governor!!!!!!
:cheers2: :hurry:
:thewave

This one will affect me, my employer will no longer be able to infringe on my 2nd amendment right before and after work.
I understand that Perry has 10 days to sign or veto the bill otherwise it automatically becomes law. I have heard 2 different effective dates. 1) immediately 2) 1 Sep 2011

Like many others I wont have to worry about getting fired for having the means to protect myself driving home late at night after work.

JackRR

terryg
Posts in topic: 1

Post by terryg »

JackRR wrote:I have heard 2 different effective dates. 1) immediately 2) 1 Sep 2011JackRR
It is Sept 1.

Code: Select all

SECTION 4.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2011.
... this space intentionally left blank ...

sigma9

Post by sigma9 »

I believe Perry was pushing this bill so I don't think he will veto it.
CHL Class taken: Aug. 22nd
Online Application done and packet mailed: Sept. 29th
Packet recieved: Oct. 13th
Fingerprints complete: Oct. 17th
Background check complete/manufacturing pending: Oct. 28th
Mailed: Oct. 30th
Plastic in hand: Nov. 4th

36 Days Mailbox to mailbox!!!

seeker_two
Banned

Post by seeker_two »

Glad to see that the Legislature made sure that school zones are still gun-free (aka criminal-friendly) zones.... :roll:
Howdy y'all. Glad to be here.....

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 8

Post by RPB »

seeker_two wrote:Glad to see that the Legislature made sure that school zones are still gun-free (aka criminal-friendly) zones.... :roll:
We have a Special Session going on
See http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 21#p554221" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

seeker_two
Banned

Post by seeker_two »

RPB wrote:
seeker_two wrote:Glad to see that the Legislature made sure that school zones are still gun-free (aka criminal-friendly) zones.... :roll:
See http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... 21#p554221" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Any chance on revising the parking lot bill to include school district employees?...because the school disteict exemption just looks like another way the Lege is screwing over teachers...
Howdy y'all. Glad to be here.....

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

seeker_two wrote:
RPB wrote:
Any chance on revising the parking lot bill to include school district employees?...because the school disteict exemption just looks like another way the Lege is screwing over teachers...
They can only take up topics that are specifically listed by the Governor during the special session. Since the parking lot bill has already passed, I don't think there's any chance he would add that to the topic list.

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”