SR1911 initial short report

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 2

Re: SR1911 initial short report

Post by Skiprr »

Yep; I was typin' and not thinkin'. Here's a better overview from a highly respected gunsmith, Bob Londrigan.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Mike1951 »

jeeperbryan wrote:Well so much for the Taurus and Rock Island Armory 1911 sales. With the Ruger going for sub $600 I see no reason why anyone would go with a foreign made 1911.
I'm very interested in the SR1911, but I will continue to buy the Taurus PT1911 at every opportunity.

Last week, I bought the alloy framed Taurus from Larry's Pistol and Pawn for $449.

http://www.pistolandpawn.com/store/inde ... s_id=80116" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yesterday, I bought the stainless PT1911 in .38 Super from CDNN for $449. (Blued $399, prices thru 5/20) Why .38 Super? Mainly cause I had one 35 years ago and loved it.

If the Ruger proves out, I will definitely buy one but will wait for further reviews.

Before buying these two, I own an Auto Ordnance (Kahr), two Springfields, a Kimber, and four PT1911s. The four PT1911s have been perfect while the other brands all required multiple factory visits to be reliable.

As far as I'm concerned, the SR1911 has some big shoes to fill.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

zx9rt1

Post by zx9rt1 »

Just a quick range trip with mine, and drug along the R1 as a comparrison. I have no complaints at all. These groups were shot at 25 yards/no rest, and using Winchester White Box.
"Processing Application"

Grog

Post by Grog »

austinrealtor wrote: I'm told GT Distributors in Austin will have them for $569.95 when they arrive.

That was the price I got at the Dallas store as well. It might end up being my first 1911.

rentz
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rentz »

Grog wrote:
austinrealtor wrote: I'm told GT Distributors in Austin will have them for $569.95 when they arrive.

That was the price I got at the Dallas store as well. It might end up being my first 1911.
I was looking at a Springfield mil spec or rangeofficer but forthat price the ruger might be my first 1911

fulano

Post by fulano »

Great thread. Very informative.

I've not owned a 1911 since the early '70's (can't believe I sold that gun :banghead: ). I can feel that itch on the trigger finger again and at a time of historic ultra high cost-of-ownership, aka very expensive ammo for any 45, I need a 1911 like a hole in the head (poor metaphor).

So, question is...Why is there such a tremendous spread between the SRP set by Strum-Ruger and the selling price at a time of limited availability? I see every thing from $590- to $720+.

You'd think the retailers have web access and can see this?? I'm one of those that stiff the SOT sales taxes on big items by ordering outside the state and my last supplier (Impact Guns) is back ordered and priced at $630.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

zx9rt1 wrote:Just a quick range trip with mine, and drug along the R1 as a comparrison. I have no complaints at all. These groups were shot at 25 yards/no rest, and using Winchester White Box.
Nice. Try feeding it any hollowpoints?

rentz

Post by rentz »

called up GT today, they dont have the sr1911 in stock yet, but he did let me know it's going to be leo sale only. contract with ruger has changed.

A-R
Posts in topic: 8

Post by A-R »

rentz wrote:called up GT today, they dont have the sr1911 in stock yet, but he did let me know it's going to be leo sale only. contract with ruger has changed.
:eek6

:banghead:

:mad5

:leaving

Grog

Post by Grog »

I'll stop by GT in Dallas and see what they say, sounds fishy. Ruger is not really known for having much dedicated to LEOs anyway.

Of course you could get a P/T security gig and qualify :coolgleamA:

gemini

Post by gemini »

Grog wrote:I'll stop by GT in Dallas and see what they say, sounds fishy. Ruger is not really known for having much dedicated to LEOs anyway.

Actually, I was in the Dallas store yesterday afternoon. They are reserving the first shipped for LEO. However,
they are also taking "commercial" orders for the regular customer. Expected wait time? 6-8 weeks. And yes, I
ordered one. You can never have too many 1911's.

*BTW, first time I'd been in GT Dist. Saleman knew his stuff. Refreshing change from idiocy of BPS,
Academy and Cabelas sales crew. I'll be back.

rentz

Post by rentz »

gemini wrote:
Grog wrote:I'll stop by GT in Dallas and see what they say, sounds fishy. Ruger is not really known for having much dedicated to LEOs anyway.

Actually, I was in the Dallas store yesterday afternoon. They are reserving the first shipped for LEO. However,
they are also taking "commercial" orders for the regular customer. Expected wait time? 6-8 weeks. And yes, I

*BTW, first time I'd been in GT Dist. Saleman knew his stuff. Refreshing change from idiocy of BPS,

interesting, maybe i'll go order one.
I might have misunderstood who i spoke with, when he said the deal with ruger will be for leo only but they would eventually have a non leo selection.

gemini

Post by gemini »

rentz wrote:
gemini wrote:

interesting, maybe i'll go order one.
I might have misunderstood who i spoke with, when he said the deal with ruger will be for leo only but they would eventually have a non leo selection.
I don't think you misunderstood. Originally, they were taking LEO only orders. They got a memo/email Tuesday morning opening the order
process for commercial sales. I placed my order with "Karl", a tall, bald headed saleman. Nice guy. He even called Ruger CS to find out possible
shipping dates etc.

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

The Annoyed Man wrote::yawn Wake me up when they offer one with an ambi-safety.
2 questions:
1 are you left handed?
2 Can't you just add an ambi safety?
Just wonderin'.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”