Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

hooknbullet
Posts in topic: 4

Re: SR1911 initial short report

Post by hooknbullet »

$589.95 @ AGR Outdoors 832-334-GUN2
15926 Cypress-N Houston Ste 100 Cypress,TX 77429
It's on Cyrpess - N Houston Rd about 150 yds from the 290W feeder, just past Cy-Fair HS
:txflag:
Always Remember:
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
(I don't know who deserves credit for this quote, but I like it.)

jeeperbryan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jeeperbryan »

Well so much for the Taurus and Rock Island Armory 1911 sales. With the Ruger going for sub $600 I see no reason why anyone would go with a foreign made 1911.

Kimber_Fan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kimber_Fan »

This is a very nice looking gun. The question is how does it shoot?

Kimber_fan

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

jeeperbryan wrote:Well so much for the Taurus and Rock Island Armory 1911 sales. With the Ruger going for sub $600 I see no reason why anyone would go with a foreign made 1911.
If you want an Officer or Commander size, going foreign is the only way to get into that range.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

hooknbullet
Posts in topic: 4

Post by hooknbullet »

Kimber_Fan wrote:This is a very nice looking gun. The question is how does it shoot?

Kimber_fan
Check out this link: http://gunblast.com/Ruger-SR1911.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly, I don't see much difference when shooting my Ruger vs my buddy's Kimber Royal. Shooting wise, they both feel about the same & I get the same results on the target. Either pistol,of course,will shoot better than I can. Also, the Ruger has been 100% reliable so far.~Hook
Always Remember:
A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
(I don't know who deserves credit for this quote, but I like it.)

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

I'm glad to hear such good reports. I've been eying this pistol since it was announced, and at the prices y'all are talking about, I think the Ruger will finally bring about my entry into the world of 1911 ownership. It's third on my acquisition list right now, after a new Sig P238 and a K31 that a buddy of mine is selling.

Unfortunately, my purchase timeline has been set back a bit, a I'll be spending around $2000 doing a motor replacement for my truck in the next couple of weeks.

But I bet I'll get the Ruger before the year is out.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Bullwhip

Post by Bullwhip »

The Annoyed Man wrote::yawn Wake me up when they offer one with an ambi-safety.
1911s are like ARs.... barbie for gun folks. Nobody runs one stock. :biggrinjester:

Thanks for the shootin report, I have been waiting to hear from someone who isn't a "gun writer". The features and price are just what I want, should kill a lot of competition if it doesn't have parts that break. Everbody says it shoots great right out of the box, no problems, no break-in. I like at least a 100 carry rounds through a gun before I trust it, don't want to pay for that extra 100-400 rounds to trust a Kimber that costs $200 more plus the extra ammo.

I want one, going to wait until the supply catches up a bit.

Rugerboy50

Post by Rugerboy50 »

Saw a few of them for sale at the Reliant show yesterday. Nice looking gun.

Overall there wasn't that many 1911's for sale. Not sure why.

Topic author
Sidro
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Sidro »

Just could not stand getting a new 1911 and not having a new holster for it. Ordered a QS-BTP from Jeffrey Custom Leather owb for it. I really liked the looks of this holster. Delivery time is about 6 weeks for an order and price is $124 delivered. The owner is a very pleasant person to talk to and 1911s are one of his favorites. I ordered the exact one shown on the webpage as far as color and rake.

Bet the New SR1911 and my Fusion 1911 due in anytime or going to look good in it.

http://jeffreycustomleather.com/Conceal ... sters.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A-R
Posts in topic: 8

Post by A-R »

Finally put my hands on one of these the other day. Red's range in Pflugerville has/had one in stock - but price was well over $600 (typical of Red's). I only got to fondle it for a short time, but liked it. The salesman showed me and another guy that there seemed to be some issue with the mag not seating correctly and locking into place and he complained mightily about the "creep" in the trigger. It did have a bit of slack at first before sear was engaged, but nothing worse than other $500 1911s I've fondled or shot (Rock Island, Taurus, etc). And this is a BEAUTIFUL gun with the stainless. I was very impressed with it.

If anyone wants to let me shoot one of these and an STI Spartan, I think my final decision will like be between these two ... with a Springfield Loaded or possibly a used Colt as a distant third possibility.

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

AndyC wrote:
austinrealtor wrote:...he complained mightily about the "creep" in the trigger.
A lotta folk who complain about the "creep" in a 1911 trigger are usually referring to the slight amount of take-up or pre-travel before the rear of the trigger-stirrup touches the disconnector-pad (this is where you start feeling the resistance) which in turn makes the sear start to move in order to release the hammer....

Back when I knew even less than I do now :mrgreen: I thought it would be cool to have zero pre-travel in my trigger; fortunately an old and wise 'smith showed me why this is "A Really Bad Idea" - full-auto can easily happen and could be considered seriously inconvenient to friendlies.
+1

To continue the thought just a bit for some Trigger 101...

I've also often heard "pre-travel" referred to as "trigger slack" and "take-up."

IMHO, I think a workable definition of "trigger creep" is rearward movement of the trigger after the sear has been engaged, but before the hammer falls." It has the most affect on what's referred to as a "clean" or "crisp" trigger break (barring "grittiness," a different matter).

I think the distinction is sometimes lost nowadays due to the number of folks who have used only striker-fired handguns. Since striker-fired guns like Glocks and XDs don't have a sear, there technically can be no trigger creep...although it isn't difficult to find striker guns that feel as if trigger creep is happening because trigger resistance is felt for a short distance of trigger movement before the shot actually breaks. But what's being felt is the increasing of tension (pull) on the striker spring prior to the striker being released.

A good example of "pre-travel" is a 92FS in single-action mode. There's a honkin' lot of pre-travel in the trigger before the sear is engaged, but generally very little (if any) perceptible creep because the trigger has to move only a fraction of a millimeter before the hammer drops. BTW, in double-action mode, that long trigger stroke as the hammer is simultaneously cocked is also not, technically, trigger creep.

In 1911s, some pre-travel is normal...and a good thing. If anyone has an adjustable trigger on his 1911 (a little screw in a well in the middle of the trigger) take Andy's sage advice and do not try to tighten it up until you feel no pre-travel. It can be adjusted a bit based on personal preference, but leave some travel in there (some people like a good deal of pre-travel, some not).

Back on topic: I really wasn't expecting much from the new Ruger. But after reading this and considering the price, I may just need me a new 1911. Darnit; I gotta quit reading these topics 'cause my wish list has already grown well into 2012...
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

A-R
Posts in topic: 8

Post by A-R »

skipprr and Andy, thanks for the excellent info .... I am one of those "striker-fired only" guys (have fired other guns, but main experience is striker fired semi-autos and double-action revolvers). So I may well have misunderstood what the salesman was describing as "creep".

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Skiprr wrote:In 1911s, some pre-travel is normal...and a good thing. If anyone has an adjustable trigger on his 1911 (a little screw in a well in the middle of the trigger) take Andy's sage advice and do not try to tighten it up until you feel no pre-travel. It can be adjusted a bit based on personal preference, but leave some travel in there (some people like a good deal of pre-travel, some not).
That little screw is to adjust trigger over travel which is an entirely different thing. Just like pre-travel, you need some over travel, but not too much. :tiphat:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”