Gun: A Weapon or a Tool? (POLL)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Is your gun a weapon or a tool? (Please Read Reasoning First)

You never really gave it much thought, but you now consider it a weapon.
3%
You never really gave it much thought, but you now consider it a tool.
7%
You previously considered it a weapon, and you still consider it a weapon.
37%
You previously considered it a weapon, but you now consider it a tool.
6%
You previously considered it a tool, but you now consider it a weapon.
1%
You previously considered it a tool, and you still consider it a tool.
45%

Total votes: 86

G26ster
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Gun: A Weapon or a Tool? (POLL)

Post by G26ster »

Purplehood wrote:
G26ster wrote:What difference does any of this make??? :???:
It gives us a topic to discuss! :biggrinjester:
But there's really nothing to discuss. It's a senseless question as the answer is "both." A firearm is already a "deadly weapon" according to the TX Penal code, and any tool used as a deadly weapon is also a weapon.

Sec. 1.07. DEFINITIONS. (a) In this code:

(17) "Deadly weapon" means:

(A) a firearm or anything manifestly designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting death or serious bodily injury; or

(B) anything that in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing death or serious bodily injury.

See, you sucked me in anyway :mrgreen:

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

RottenApple wrote:
AndyC wrote:If some anti happens to get their knickers in a twist over the term "weapon", that's their problem - I couldn't care less what the uninformed think of it, so I'm not going to be bludgeoned to death by the PC crowd into referring to it only as a tool.

"That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Andy, please don't assume that just because I (and some others) refer to it as a tool that we are being PC. In my case that really is how I view it. There is nothing PC about it. :tiphat:
When a gun is at rest on a table, it's an object with tool potential. When someone picks it up to use it, it becomes an extension of that person's will to either attack or defend, for good or evil. At that point it's a weapon.

When I refer to it as a tool when it is at rest, I'm not bowing to the allowable speech confusion of someone with wadded knickers. I do it to emphasize the neutral nature of inanimate objects and to counter the common hype that guns are inherently destructive by virtue of their simple presence.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Purplehood wrote:
Heh :mrgreen:

I'm just curious about what everyone thinks. I'm sure there are some others who are interested in reading everyone's comments.

I do appreciate everyone's responses so far.

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Thomas wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

I'm just curious about what everyone thinks. I'm sure there are some others who are interested in reading everyone's comments.

Why would a law abiding CHL holder consider anything but the legal definition as stated in Texas PC 1.07(a)(17)? The way your questions are worded it appears we have a choice, and our opinion is what matters. In any case, it's your poll/thread, not mine. ;-)

Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Keith B »

I would say this one is both

:lol:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Keith B wrote:I would say this one is both

:smilelol5:

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

A friend has taught me that my gun is a tool that would be used for those who would choose to attack me with their weapon... Sounds much more innocent if it ever had to be explained to a LEO or Grand Jury.........
Salty1

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Excaliber »

G26ster wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Purplehood wrote:

Why would a law abiding CHL holder consider anything but the legal definition as stated in Texas PC 1.07(a)(17)? The way your questions are worded it appears we have a choice, and our opinion is what matters. In any case, it's your poll/thread, not mine. ;-)
The fact of the matter is that in common conversation, we do have a choice and I think that's what this thread is about.

When preparing a legal document or testifying in a courtroom, it's a different story and I think our members understand that distinction.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Thomas wrote:

In popular culture, the person who made this is a "tool". ;-)

To answer the original post, IMO a gun is a tool for self defense. By definition that makes it a weapon.
A weapon is a tool used with the aim of causing damage or harm (either physical or mental) to living beings.
My dad used to say "use the proper tool for a job." So a hammer or screwdriver, might be good tools, but they are poor weapons.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
Thomas wrote:

In popular culture, the person who made this is a "tool". ;-)

To answer the original post, IMO a gun is a tool for self defense. By definition that makes it a weapon.
A weapon is a tool used with the aim of causing damage or harm (either physical or mental) to living beings.
My dad used to say "use the proper tool for a job." So a hammer or screwdriver, might be good tools, but they are poor weapons.
Neither a hammer nor a screwdriver would be considered long range weapons but I ain't volunteerin' (Go VOLS!) to be boinked with a hammer or poked with a screwdriver. :leaving

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

It is both a weapon and a tool. On second thought a weapon is a tool. But not every tool is a weapon... or is it?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Excaliber wrote:
The fact of the matter is that in common conversation, we do have a choice and I think that's what this thread is about.

When preparing a legal document or testifying in a courtroom, it's a different story and I think our members understand that distinction.
How can something so obviously both a weapon and a tool have only choices in a poll that force a choice of one or the other? In terms of the law, it's a weapon (a deadly one), and in other terms it could be a tool. But, as I said, it isn't my poll/thread. Just commenting.

LaUser

Post by LaUser »

As a police officer, I considered it a tool. Now that I am retired, I consider it a weapon.
The Republican Party has been taken over by the Four Horsemen of Calumny,
Fear, Ignorance, Bigotry and Smear.

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

Oldgringo wrote: I ain't volunteerin' (Go VOLS!) to be boinked with a hammer or poked with a screwdriver. :leaving
Ewwww. TMI!
sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”