DPS Processing Times

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New CHL - 60 days or less
48%
New CHL - 61 to 70 days
6%
New CHL - 71 to 85 days
7%
New CHL - 86 to 100 days
9%
New CHL - 101 to 120 days
6%
New CHL - Over 120 days
9%
Renewal CHL - 45 days or less
6%
Renewal CHL - 46 to 55 days
1%
Renewal CHL - 56 to 70 days
2%
Renewal CHL - 71 to 85 days
1%
Renewal CHL - 86 to 105 days
1%
Renewal CHL - Over 105 days
4%

Total votes: 875

Derf
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS Processing Times

Post by Derf »

gddb856 wrote:
Teamless wrote:
gddb856 wrote:It's more than a week now, maybe they backup?
it normally takes 2 weeks and maybe a couple more days, to show any status changes on DPS website.
Still no status yet. I sent an email on Wednesday but did not receive a response yet.

In the same boat here, USPS shows that my documentation was received by DPS on 2/24 and the website still says "Waiting on receipt of required materials." I have seen folks in other threads say it can take 4+ weeks for a status change to show up. Also seen a few folks saying that they received their plastic while their status online stated still pending background check.

All I'll say is that in my experience, IT is almost an afterthought to any government agency budget, so you are going to have all of the problems associated with that. I sent a polite email after 2 1/2 weeks asking simply if my documentation had been received, as I have been an identity theft victim and there is a lot of info in there. Took 4 days, but they emailed me back and said they received them, and I was pending background check, and that I could check my status online "rlol" .

My impression from the brevity of that email and the way it was worded is that the data entry folks, at least, are understaffed, or swamped, or both. Combine that with less than ideal IT infrastructure and yeah, frustrating, but not unexpected to see these kinds of occasional slip-ups on the website.
"Victory goes to the one who has no thought of himself."- Shinkage School of Swordsmanship

LR95S97

Post by LR95S97 »

31 business days from 'date application mailed' to 'date CHL received'........

BMWGSRider

Post by BMWGSRider »

I mailed off my application on Feb 12th and just received my license in the mail today, April 16th!

Sheepdawg

Post by Sheepdawg »

LR95S97 wrote:31 business days from 'date application mailed' to 'date CHL received'........
Promising. :mrgreen:

LR95S97 wrote:I mailed off my application on Feb 12th and just received my license in the mail today, April 16th!
Defeating. :banghead:

9mmLover

Post by 9mmLover »

application received: 03/21/2011

update on dps website showing the received it: 4/15/2011...thats just 25 days from dropping it in the mail, to the update...man they have sped it up from a year or so ago when my brother applied.

all im waiting on now is my background check. im assuming it cant be more than another 3-4 weeks before my plastic arrives.

it could be a little longer since i do have 2 class C arrests. 1 was 7 years ago for public intoxication- municipal class C misdemeanor, and the 2nd is 5 months from its 5 year anniversary. that one was for fighting in public, again a municipal class C misdemeanor. even though i didn't have to disclose either (according to my instructor) since they are both class C municipal not criminal misdemeanors, i put them on there anyways....not too worried about those. i had no idea what the actual charges were until i started thinking about getting my CHL. lucky for me the cop put down 'fighting in public' as the charge as apposed to disorderly conduct. The instructor said a disorderly conduct violation makes you illegible.

just waiting it out...trying not to look at the site every day to see if there has been an update.

cool hand luke

Post by cool hand luke »

I mailed my application in and they signed for it March 6. I have yet to be entered into the database so i can go do my fingerprinting, and my cashiers check has not been cashed.
:banghead:

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 2farnorth »

cool hand luke wrote:I mailed my application in and they signed for it March 6. I have yet to be entered into the database so i can go do my fingerprinting, and my cashiers check has not been cashed.
:banghead:

I think you need to either call or email them. That's about the longest I've seen recently. It's probably sitting in a cubby hole somewhere in the mailroom yet.
N5PNZ

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

Mine took 43 days including the day I UPS'd my application and MO to Austin.
Not too bad considering there was a holiday in there.

2farnorth

Post by 2farnorth »

Received plastic today 04/29/11. 62 days from when I mailed the package in
N5PNZ

TexGalRK

Post by TexGalRK »

From the day I mailed my paperwork, to today now reading MAILED, it's been 42 days. Not too bad at all, Considering what I've read about others waiting and waiting on theirs. Now, for the post office to get it here in a timely manner would be awesome! :fire

have a good one
RK~
:txflag:

RttlTrap

Post by RttlTrap »

3/4 Mailed
4/30 Rec'd

56 days Mailbox to Mailbox

We're all here 'cause we're not all there.

TexGalRK

Post by TexGalRK »

Received my CHL in the mail yesterday, as did my husband! So excited to see it in the mailbox. Total of 47 days from mailing app. to receiving plastic. WooHoo!

RK~

:fire

rubiconjp

Post by rubiconjp »

2nd renewal:

Renewal class 4/9/2011
Mailed 4/12/2011 (from Round Rock)
BGC completed (manufacturing pending) 5/6/2011
Mailed 5/10/2011
Last edited by rubiconjp on Tue May 10, 2011 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

zeppelin73

Post by zeppelin73 »

Rubiconjp, was your second renewal for a Non Resident CHL? This will be my second Texas CHL renewal, although this time I am now a Non Resident and live in Utah. I just so happened to take my requal in El Paso Texas on April 9th as you did, and mailed the CHL100 to DPS the following monday when I arrived back in Utah. So far the online status updater shows nothing, but I have a feeling that it is not really accurate.

rubiconjp

Post by rubiconjp »

No it is my 2nd resident renewal. Mailed on 4/12 from Round Rock TX (north Austin) but it did not show a received/processing status until more than 2 weeks later. BTW I used to live in Sandy and SLC Utah back in the mid 90's, and used to carry concealed there too. Great state and great place to live. I miss Utah and the skiing there!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”