Recent Changes in CHL / Deferred Adjudication

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recent Changes in CHL / Deferred Adjudication

Post by tacticool »

Heritage1 wrote:If I'm not mistaken there is a bill in the legislature currently that would require Texas residents to have a Texas CHL to carry. An out of state license would no longer be valid.
The same legislator also authored bills to create a state income tax and ban people under 21 from possessing certain rifles.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

steve817

Post by steve817 »

gwtrikenut wrote:I have never been arrested of any crime, but do wonder, when we, as a civilization, are going to allow people who have served their time for the crime, rest? We expect inmates to do the time, but when they are set free, we still hanbdcuff them with the crime for the rest of their lives. Why did we set them free, if we are going to still hold them guilty for the rest of their lives? Water over the bridge does not return to fall over the bridge again and again.
If you have served your time and are now off parole, you have served your sentence. You are free to go on with life as you see fit. So why do we still stop you from protecting yourself? Police are there only to write the report. We can not expect the police to protect us 24 hours a day. I once had a judge tell me the police report was hear say, because the officer was not there to witness the incident. And thus would not allow the police report to be introduced.
Up to a certain point I agree. I have no problems at all with a non-violent felon carrying. I can't however apply those thoughts to violent offenders though.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

WildBill
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WildBill »

steve817 wrote:
gwtrikenut wrote:I have never been arrested of any crime, but do wonder, when we, as a civilization, are going to allow people who have served their time for the crime, rest? We expect inmates to do the time, but when they are set free, we still hanbdcuff them with the crime for the rest of their lives. Why did we set them free, if we are going to still hold them guilty for the rest of their lives? Water over the bridge does not return to fall over the bridge again and again.
If you have served your time and are now off parole, you have served your sentence. You are free to go on with life as you see fit. So why do we still stop you from protecting yourself? Police are there only to write the report. We can not expect the police to protect us 24 hours a day. I once had a judge tell me the police report was hear say, because the officer was not there to witness the incident. And thus would not allow the police report to be introduced.
Up to a certain point I agree. I have no problems at all with a non-violent felon carrying. I can't however apply those thoughts to violent offenders though.
It's not just carrying that concerns me. Having a felony conviction limits many good job opportunities for people even if they have turned their lives around and have remained crime free for many years. If good paying jobs are off limits because of their criminal record, that increases the incentive to stay with a life of crime.
NRA Endowment Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

I know this Topic has been here for almost a month, but it just ain't the correct place for it. "Site Announcements, Questions & Suggestions" is for, well, you guessed it. It's about the website, not other stuff.

Movin' this one to a more appropriate place.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

djjoshuad

Post by djjoshuad »

Not trying to stir the pot, but I have an honest question. My question is not about right or wrong, it's about the letter of the law.

I was under the impression that any and all felonies precluded one from owning a firearm legally, including carrying one in public. Is that not the case? If it is, then wouldn't the burglary felony be a non-starter?
My EDC
In Truck: Sig P226R .357
On Person: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

You are confusing the issue a little. They are referring to Def Adjudication which isn't the same as a conviction. If they went to trial and got convicted of a felony then yes it would preclude ownership in most circumstances.

45 4 life

Post by 45 4 life »

I also have a question.
Can the posters and others with this type or class of Def Adjudication legally purchase firearms?
Don't Confuse the Issues With the Facts

USA1

Post by USA1 »

45 4 life wrote:I also have a question.
Can the posters and others with this type or class of Def Adjudication legally purchase firearms?
Yep. A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, I was charged with and plead guilty to a similar type of felony and did Deferred Adjudication. After successfully completing the terms of my probation, the felony charge was off of my record. From then on I was able to legally purchase firearms and answer "no" on the "have you ever been convicted of a felony" question on job and other applications.

Please don't hold that against me as it was over 25 years ago and I have long since changed my ways.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

45 4 life wrote:I also have a question.
Sometimes you dont have to wait. I had an ins fraud def adj and it never stopped me from buying, only getting a chl. Ahhh, to be young, broke and stupid.

heeler

Post by heeler »

WildBill wrote:
steve817 wrote:
It's not just carrying that concerns me. Having a felony conviction limits many good job opportunities for people even if they have turned their lives around and have remained crime free for many years. If good paying jobs are off limits because of their criminal record, that increases the incentive to stay with a life of crime.
It can in fact do just that or be the cause of some very deep resentment.
Point in case.
I had a relative who was convicted of a non violent felony in the mid 1960's and served four years of his life in the TDC and was on parole for another two years.
At age 66 he had been working for a company for a number of years and since his release from incarceration had walked a straight line.
A new group bought the company he worked for and after about three months they had all the employees fill out a back ground information query in which one question was have you ever been convicted of a felony?
He answered honestly.
He was fired that following Monday.
You are never ever free from a felony conviction.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

heeler wrote:It can in fact do just that or be the cause of some very deep resentment.
Point in case.
I had a relative who was convicted of a non violent felony in the mid 1960's and served four years of his life in the TDC and was on parole for another two years.
At age 66 he had been working for a company for a number of years and since his release from incarceration had walked a straight line.
A new group bought the company he worked for and after about three months they had all the employees fill out a back ground information query in which one question was have you ever been convicted of a felony?
He answered honestly.
He was fired that following Monday.
You are never ever free from a felony conviction.
This ia a perfect example of what I was talking about. Fired for being honest. :banghead:
NRA Endowment Member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

steve817 wrote:Up to a certain point I agree. I have no problems at all with a non-violent felon carrying. I can't however apply those thoughts to violent offenders though.
For the first 190 or so years of our Republic, released felons could have firearms, and society seemed to survive just fine. People forget that banning felons from firearms ownership is an historically recent development.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

dbox

Post by dbox »

I too am in the exact same boat....I'm a current CHL holder with a more than 10yr old deferred burglary of a habitation charge. If there is ANYTHING I can do to be able to renew my license, I'm more than willing. Mine is set to expire in October of 2012.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

dbox wrote:I too am in the exact same boat....I'm a current CHL holder with a more than 10yr old deferred burglary of a habitation charge. If there is ANYTHING I can do to be able to renew my license, I'm more than willing. Mine is set to expire in October of 2012.
There's nothing you can do to renew a Texas CHL as the law stands now. This is something that likely will be addressed during the 2013 Texas Legislative Session. There wasn't enough time this session because of the budget and redistricting.

Chas.

dbox

Post by dbox »

Jumping Frog wrote:Get a Florida non-resident license.

would this actually work? it seems like it would since Texas recognizes the Florida CCW license.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”