Recenter a Rifle scope

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Mage218
Posts in topic: 2

Recenter a Rifle scope

Post by Mage218 »

I just bought a el cheapo bushnell banner 3-9 variable pwr scope. I took it to the range last night to zero it in on my AR. First shot hit low right in tight group, so I adjusted the windage left 2" and then it started hitting even further right, So I adjusted back to the right to see if I could get it back on with the last group, and it hit even further right...

At this point im ready to throw the scope down range for a new target... I decided to just crank the windage to the left and ignore counting the clicks..Finally i got it close to center, only issue now, Its clicked out, the windage knob cannot be turned any more to the left and I still hit to the right.

Can this be fixed or was this scope pretty much DOA? I bought it from bass pro and got a gear guard so I can replace it reguardless of whats wrong with it.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Recenter a Rifle scope

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Are your rings properly torqued?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Are your rings properly torqued?
What he said, and are your rings adjustable? If so make your adjustments there. Additionally are they they type that use shims in order to support 1" diameter scopes? If they are the shim type, set them aside for when you get a scope with a 30mm tube or chunk them. If you keep them for later, chunk the shims into the trash can. Another thought to consider: Are the barrel and upper receiver true in relation to each other? I know of two AR-15s where the barrel and upper had problems. The first was a RRA, they dealt with the issue quickly and couldn't apologise enough to make themselves happy. The second was a generic upper that me and my buddy swapped the barrel out on to fix. He had no issues with the gun after that until he sold it.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Is the track across the target at the same elevation? An out of square scope mounting job can cause the problem you describe. Are your front and rear rings properly aligned? Check those things if both are OK take the scope back for a replacement. Bushnell scopes are inexpensive but not junk you may have just gotten a lemon.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Topic author
Mage218
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mage218 »

Thanks for all of the quick replies. This is actually my second bushnell banner scope, the first being a 1.5-4x variable power same rings as I have now. That scope I got zeroed in a couple of shots without issue, I just wanted more zoom so I took it back for this one(3-9x). I also have a bushnell trophy(cheapest one) that came with my AR, using different rings and Ive unmounted/remounted and re-zeroed it without an issue as well, So im almost certain its not the rifle or rings.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”