Before I contact the judge.....

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Before I contact the judge.....

Post by WildBill »

RiverCity.45 wrote:Please note that a "defense to prosecution" does not equal an exemption from a law. It is something that can be used as a defense in a trial, but there is no guarantee that the defense strategy will be successful.
True, but if the judge knows about it, the baliff knows about it and the DA knows about it, who does that leave to arrest the person or prosecute them?
NRA Endowment Member

ddstuder
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ddstuder »

Can you be 100% sure that it was a weapon? Could have just been an empty holster, or an insulin pump, or,,,,
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

Or maybe he's a reserve peace officer. Who knows. Why rattle the monkey cage?
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

Topic author
LR95S97
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LR95S97 »

It was definitely a pistol. He leaned so far over the wooden railing that the weapon was clearly 'printed' through his jacket. It was a compact semi-automatic pistol. If I had been sitting a row or two closer, I might have been able to determine a make/model......

Once again, the only reason to bring this to the judge's attention is to educate his staff (not to 'rat out' the attorney).

I suspect that the majority of attorney's have (at one time or another in their career) upset a third party. Therefore I dont blame him one bit for carrying a weapon to protect himself.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LR95S97 wrote:It was definitely a pistol. He leaned so far over the wooden railing that the weapon was clearly 'printed' through his jacket. It was a compact semi-automatic pistol. If I had been sitting a row or two closer, I might have been able to determine a make/model......

Once again, the only reason to bring this to the judge's attention is to educate his staff (not to 'rat out' the attorney).

I suspect that the majority of attorney's have (at one time or another in their career) upset a third party. Therefore I dont blame him one bit for carrying a weapon to protect himself.
Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a): (3) on the premises of any government court or offices utilized by the court, unless pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the court;

He probably had permission from the court, so you wouldn't be ratting him out.
NRA Endowment Member

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

ddstuder wrote:Can you be 100% sure that it was a weapon? Could have just been an empty holster, or an insulin pump, or,,,,
gregthehand wrote:Or maybe he's a reserve peace officer. Who knows. Why rattle the monkey cage?

I may be missing something, but my take from the OP is, he is trying to find out if what he was told is correct or not, he does not seem to be conerned with wether or not the person he saw was carrying.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

Russell wrote:
LR95S97 wrote:Once again, the only reason to bring this to the judge's attention is to educate his staff (not to 'rat out' the attorney).
Just curious, why do you think it's necessary to educate the judge's staff? What do you hope to gain from it?

I was going to say "Let sleeping lawyers lie." Then I realize "OH WAIT! They do!" :smilelol5:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

LR95S97 wrote:I purposefully was the last one out the courtroom, and asked the baliff "it is my understanding of the law that the only persons allowed to posses weapons in this building are judges and law enforcement". He responded that "anyone can carry a weapon in this building, but the courthouse in downtown Houston, with all the metal detectors and security, does not allow weapons".
The baliff didn't say court, he said building. If the court were in a county building then you could carry into the building.
NRA Endowment Member

Kythas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Kythas »

wgoforth wrote:I was going to say "Let sleeping lawyers lie." Then I realize "OH WAIT! They do!" :smilelol5:
"rlol"
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Topic author
LR95S97
Posts in topic: 5

Post by LR95S97 »

The judge called and said he would remind the bailiff that no one (other than himself and other law enforcement) is supposed to be "carrying in my courtroom". He went on to say that "because we are not given a metal detector does not mean I want weapons in my courtroom".

He was very appreciative (he mentioned it at least three times during the conversation) that I contacted him.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Hoi Polloi wrote:Why would you contact a judge to tell him that his bailiff is giving invalid legal advice? Who cares? If you want accurate legal advice, don't ask a bailiff.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

JNMAR

Post by JNMAR »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
Hoi Polloi wrote:Why would you contact a judge to tell him that his bailiff is giving invalid legal advice? Who cares? If you want accurate legal advice, don't ask a bailiff.

ELB

Post by ELB »

If I saw the defendent was carrying, and the bailiff seemed unconcerned, I might be motivated to say something about it to the judge, ;-) but otherwise I think I would just go about my life and save my educational efforts for certain legislators. But that's me.
USAF 1982-2005

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”