My Taurus PT 140 died

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

BrianSW99
Posts in topic: 2

Re: My Taurus PT 140 died

Post by BrianSW99 »

03Lightningrocks wrote:
gtrman66 wrote:$65.80... ouch. I though Overnight "Saver" would be A LOT less than that. Lesson learned, take it to the shop next time. Oh well, hopefully they get it turned around quick.

Next time you might check out some of the FFL's in this forum viewforum.php?f=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they aren't charging $25 and shipping by the USPS would have cost a whole lot less than 60 dollars. The last time I shipped a handgun through a FFL, I think the postage part was about 10 bucks or so.
$25 may not be too bad, if that includes the postage. Postage would be around $10, leaving $10-$15 for the FFL. If the $25 doesn't include the postage, it's time to find a new FFL.

Topic author
gtrman66
Posts in topic: 10

Post by gtrman66 »

It was delivered. Now the wait begins.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent
2/4/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/18/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/4/10 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
3/13/10 Plastic in Hand!!!

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hirundo82 »

Legally, you don't have to declare to the shipper that the package contains a firearm when it is being shipped to an FFL.
18 USC §922 Unlawful Acts
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

hirundo82 wrote:Legally, you don't have to declare to the shipper that the package contains a firearm when it is being shipped to an FFL.
18 USC §922 Unlawful Acts
(e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;
This from the BATF FAQs on shipping:
" A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition,Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922(a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

No word yet. They got it Tuesday morning. I would have figured on an email or something telling me what to expect, they appreciate me as a customer.... some acknowledgement that they give a rip.

Ok, maybe I'm still sore about the $65 shipping for $350 gun.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

gtrman66 wrote:No word yet. They got it Tuesday morning. I would have figured on an email or something telling me what to expect, they appreciate me as a customer.... some acknowledgement that they give a rip.

Ok, maybe I'm still sore about the $65 shipping for $350 gun.
I have sent back a Ruger, Para, KelTec, Taurus and now a Smith and Wesson..... None have ever sent an e-mail. HOWEVER, if you go to the Taurus site, they do have a "Check Status of Repair" that is pretty kewl. http://www.taurususa.com/status.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be a while, so it may be some time before the status changes. Taurus has taken 3 weeks before... but Para had mine 3 months as did Ruger.
NRA Life Member
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

Thanks wgoforth! I got the email the evening I made the post with that link too. It's "Received". I guess it'll be my first link to check every morning.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

gtrman66 wrote:Thanks wgoforth! I got the email the evening I made the post with that link too. It's "Received". I guess it'll be my first link to check every morning.
Glad to hear they did an e-mail...your one ahead of me on that! Atleast for me, it was always behind... that is, it said completed the day I recived it!
NRA Life Member

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

Delivered to Taurus 4/5
Scheduled FedEx Delivery back to me 4/14 :woohoo

That is pretty amazing. Looks like I'll be at the range this weekend. :hurry:
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

gtrman66 wrote:Delivered to Taurus 4/5
Scheduled FedEx Delivery back to me 4/14 :woohoo

That is pretty amazing. Looks like I'll be at the range this weekend. :hurry:
That is excellent! I had one quick turnaround but most have been 4-5 weeks, so yours was very good! BTW, there is a great Taurus forum. http://www.taurusarmed.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you might check out.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

I registered and lurked over there. It wasn't quite as interesting as this site. Maybe too specific?
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I jacked up the trigger on my M&P45 and had to ship it back to S&W for repairs. Since it was my fault, they said I had to pay for shipping. OK... no way around that, so I went ahead and shipped it per their instructions. From memory, it was in the $65-$70 range to ship it according to those instructions.

The upside is that S&W sent the pistol to the Custom Shop to accomplish what I had set out to do in the first place, and then they warrantied the work and shipped it back to me at their expense. The total turnaround time was on the order of 10 working days. So, for the $65 or so I spent on shipping, I got a Custom Shop trigger job that was a significant improvement over the OEM trigger.

On another occasion, my brand new M1A Loaded snapped off part of the hammer somewhere in the first 100 rounds, shooting standard factory match loads only. Springfield sent me a return authorization and paid for me to ship them the fire control group. They turned it around right away, replacing the broken MIM hammer with a forged part at no extra charge, and shipped the fire control group back to me at their expense. I had it back in the rifle 8 days after I sent it to them.

These are the standards against which I judge any manufacturer. Both are relatively large companies, but they haven't let their size get in the way of their customer service. If Taurus doesn't warranty their guns, then making you pay for the shipping makes perfect sense. But if they do warranty their guns, then making you pay for the freight is a deal breaker. If I were on the market for a pistol right now (and I have been considering a single stack 9mm for a while), I would not buy a used pistol whose warranty is not transferable, and I would not buy a new pistol from a manufacturer that didn't warranty their pistols.

I am interested to know how Taurus handled your particular shipping complaint after they actually received the gun. It will be informative to me personally because it will help me decide whether or not to include Taurus's 709 in my particular search pattern.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

It came in. They sent it in a half decent cheap plastic case which was nice. Gun was pristine, clean. I never complained about the shipping. The Tauraus lifetime is for the gun, not the owner. I bought this one used. I figure the $65 was about the same as what a local gunsmith would have charged, and he would likely have to wait for parts. All in all, I'm a happy camper. If there is a next time, I would take it to a shop to ship and pay the FFL... probably cheaper. Can't wait to get to the range. Busy weekend. Kid has a softball tournament Sat. and I am going to the guitar show at Market Hall Sun.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I jacked up the trigger on my M&P45 and had to ship it back to S&W for repairs. Since it was my fault, they said I had to pay for shipping. OK... no way around that, so I went ahead and shipped it per their instructions. From memory, it was in the $65-$70 range to ship it according to those instructions.

The upside is that S&W sent the pistol to the Custom Shop to accomplish what I had set out to do in the first place, and then they warrantied the work and shipped it back to me at their expense. The total turnaround time was on the order of 10 working days. So, for the $65 or so I spent on shipping, I got a Custom Shop trigger job that was a significant improvement over the OEM trigger.

On another occasion, my brand new M1A Loaded snapped off part of the hammer somewhere in the first 100 rounds, shooting standard factory match loads only. Springfield sent me a return authorization and paid for me to ship them the fire control group. They turned it around right away, replacing the broken MIM hammer with a forged part at no extra charge, and shipped the fire control group back to me at their expense. I had it back in the rifle 8 days after I sent it to them.

These are the standards against which I judge any manufacturer. Both are relatively large companies, but they haven't let their size get in the way of their customer service. If Taurus doesn't warranty their guns, then making you pay for the shipping makes perfect sense. But if they do warranty their guns, then making you pay for the freight is a deal breaker. If I were on the market for a pistol right now (and I have been considering a single stack 9mm for a while), I would not buy a used pistol whose warranty is not transferable, and I would not buy a new pistol from a manufacturer that didn't warranty their pistols.

I am interested to know how Taurus handled your particular shipping complaint after they actually received the gun. It will be informative to me personally because it will help me decide whether or not to include Taurus's 709 in my particular search pattern.
709 is decent. There have been two issues: They do not like White Winchester Box, everyone on the Taurus forum has noted that (well, a lot have). Doesn't feed or eject properly. They are a hair longer and the extractor groove not as deep. Also, some have experienced (I did too) the extractor begins failing after around 300 rounds, then progressively worse. They repaired them no problem, but there are lengthy complaints on that. I am in hopes that this was early on and corrected since they came out. Taurus is currently releasing their Gen 2 models and the 709 Gen 2 is yet to come out..put will have a 9 capacity extended mag.
NRA Life Member

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

gtrman66 wrote:I registered and lurked over there. It wasn't quite as interesting as this site. Maybe too specific?
For regular use probably... but if you have a specific Taurus issue, great place to search the archives. Step by step photos of detailed stripping, replacing parts, etc.
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”