March 2011 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

RedSnefru
Posts in topic: 4

Re: March 2011 Applications

Post by RedSnefru »

Class and online app 3/6
F1 3/9
Mailed on 3/16
Received sometime after that (didnt do delivery confirmation, never called)
Site updated 4/7, all green except BG and manufacturing
was a few weeks sooner than I estimated based on others' progress
Will update
Class 3/6
Mailed 3/16
Site Updated 4/7 L1 Prints OK
BG Completed 4/14
In Hand 4/27

Slowplay
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Slowplay »

djjoshuad wrote:ugh, mine is still showing BG under review... and I mailed mine a few days before you guys! I don't think there's anything on my BG to cause me any problems... I mean, I have lived in the same county since 2003 and I haven't had so much as a traffic ticket in 10 years. Hopefully it'll update by Monday so I don't pull the rest of my hair out :)
I might get a buzz cut so I don't pull the rest of my hair out :biggrinjester: .

Yeah, mine is processing a bit slower too. I'm not sure if Rayman and Bigmoney work and live in the same counties, but I don't. I assumed it would take longer for my background check since there are two counties involved (& I have a fairly common name).

Also, it looks like they're both in the Houston area. Maybe Harris and Montgomery counties are faster than ours. :headscratch
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

prothos
Posts in topic: 8

Post by prothos »

:mad5 :mad5 :mad5
Mine got delayed due to missing info on my DD214. the status online was updated on the 5th. i contacted them right away and was told the problem. faxed them a new dd214 on the 6th. called and confirmed it was recieved and was told that due to that it was delayed by 2 to 3 weeks before they would start working on it again. Maybe longer if the govermant shuts down.

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Under review
Photo : Received
Proof of Classroom training : Received
Proof of Proficiency training : Received
Proof of Special Condition : Unacceptable, notice sent to applicant
Fee : Received
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

2farnorth
Posts in topic: 7

Post by 2farnorth »

Slowplay wrote:
djjoshuad wrote:ugh, mine is still showing BG under review... and I mailed mine a few days before you guys! I don't think there's anything on my BG to cause me any problems... I mean, I have lived in the same county since 2003 and I haven't had so much as a traffic ticket in 10 years. Hopefully it'll update by Monday so I don't pull the rest of my hair out :)
I might get a buzz cut so I don't pull the rest of my hair out :biggrinjester: .

Yeah, mine is processing a bit slower too. I'm not sure if Rayman and Bigmoney work and live in the same counties, but I don't. I assumed it would take longer for my background check since there are two counties involved (& I have a fairly common name).

Also, it looks like they're both in the Houston area. Maybe Harris and Montgomery counties are faster than ours. :headscratch

That may be one of the problems slowing down my background check. I've lived in 3 different cities and 2 different counties in the last 5 years
N5PNZ

bigmoney
Posts in topic: 17

Post by bigmoney »

Slowplay wrote:

Actually I was sure mine might take longer since I moved to montgomery about 6 months ago. I have lived in Denton and Tarrant counties in the last 5 years, and in a few different houses/apartments, and had the same job in grapevine for 10 years prior to the move. Did you do ink prints or electronic? I thought I saw djjoshaud put down ink prints somewhere(I may be mistaken) maybe that has something to do with it. My prints showed "cleard" as of my very first status update. Hopefully you guys don't take too much longer. I admit it does seem odd and I can understand it being frustrating. as said before, it is the government we're dealing with.

It reminds me of going to court in NRH to pay a speeding ticket when I was 17. Everyone was forced to see the judge, and I was the last person to arrive out of like 75 people. Because I was last to show, my file was on top, and I was the first out the door. I didn't mind but how do you think the first person there felt? There may be a chance that the DPS works in a similar fashion....?
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

PodPeople
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PodPeople »

I mailed my package on March 1 and received my card yesterday, April 6. Woo hoo!

Slowplay
Posts in topic: 13

Post by Slowplay »

bigmoney wrote:Actually I was sure mine might take longer since I moved to montgomery about 6 months ago. I have lived in Denton and Tarrant counties in the last 5 years, and in a few different houses/apartments, and had the same job in grapevine for 10 years prior to the move. Did you do ink prints or electronic? I thought I saw djjoshaud put down ink prints somewhere(I may be mistaken) maybe that has something to do with it. My prints showed "cleard" as of my very first status update. Hopefully you guys don't take too much longer. I admit it does seem odd and I can understand it being frustrating. as said before, it is the government we're dealing with.

It reminds me of going to court in NRH to pay a speeding ticket when I was 17. Everyone was forced to see the judge, and I was the last person to arrive out of like 75 people. Because I was last to show, my file was on top, and I was the first out the door. I didn't mind but how do you think the first person there felt? There may be a chance that the DPS works in a similar fashion....?
I did FAST prints on Feb. 11th (& online app a few days before). At this point, I am used to delays...

The CHL class I was going to take (recommended by my neighbor) was full for two weekends in a row (February rush), so I went across town to a different class the following weekend. That instructor ended up splitting the class over two days (was advertised as one day). I had a business trip and wasn't able to finish the class for over a week. I was :banghead: ...now I'm just :grumble
NRA Benefactor Member
"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance..."
- John Philpot Curran

rayman1968
Posts in topic: 8

Post by rayman1968 »

Slowplay wrote:

Spring and Magnolia are both in Harris county, but I doubt the county that you live in has much bearing on how fast your appilcation processes. Mine went through quicker than some. But I had a good feeling mine might. You see, I just went through a year long background check last year in order to be approved for an adoption. Trust me, that is a much more "intense" background check than getting the CHL done. Other things that I'm guessing might have helped mine process faster...I've had the same address for the last 16 years and my last "brush with the law" was a speeding ticket in 1991.

djjoshuad
Posts in topic: 25

Post by djjoshuad »

yeah, I did mention ink prints. The instructor never told any of us that we had an option, he just said that it was mandatory starting March 1st and we were the last of the ink group. Now I know I could have skipped that part and just done digital.

Anyway, my prints now show as "cleared." Maybe that means they couldn't *start* on my BG check until the prints were approved... thoughts?
My EDC
In Truck: Sig P226R .357
On Person: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP

ciphin

Post by ciphin »

Below is my timeline for those who are interested (ink prints, paperwork completed by hand):

February 27, 2011 – CHL Class, fingerprints (ink), photos
February 28, 2011 – Paperwork (all forms completed by hand) mailed to TX DPS
March 8, 2011 – Check cashed by TX DPS
March 22, 2011 – Background check sent off for investigation (per conversation with DPS. 2 – 4 week turnaround time)
March 23, 2011 – Dated letter from DPS (arrived March 25th) stating application received and being processed
March 24, 2011 – Online status available – fingerprints and background in process (everything else green)
March 25, 2011 – Fingerprints complete and background still in process
April 5, 2011 – Background check complete
April 6, 2011 – Pending manufacture
April 7, 2011 – Mailed

bigmoney
Posts in topic: 17

Post by bigmoney »

djjoshuad wrote:Anyway, my prints now show as "cleared." Maybe that means they couldn't *start* on my BG check until the prints were approved... thoughts?
pretty much my thoughts as well.
rayman1968 wrote: Spring and Magnolia are both in Harris county, but I doubt the county that you live in has much bearing on how fast your appilcation processes.
It may not matter much as far as the speed per county, but I believe I live in Montgomery, at least that's what i keep getting told elsewhere. My address is technically in the Woodlands, though at the very back side, and I'm not really in the Woodlands demographic range(despite my lousy/humerous to me username, I couldn't afford the front porch to some of these places), so I just use the Magnolia name to keep from getting those looks I've seen after telling people I live there.
Don't choose a username while a stupid insurrance commercial is on the tv
M&P 9c edc
LCP bug
NRA

Bulldog1911
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Bulldog1911 »

Seems a lot of people's were mailed on the 7th. I wonder if they wait for until they fill a certain number and then manufacture the group on the same day?
The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalms 27:1

djjoshuad
Posts in topic: 25

Post by djjoshuad »

bigmoney wrote:
djjoshuad wrote:Anyway, my prints now show as "cleared." Maybe that means they couldn't *start* on my BG check until the prints were approved... thoughts?
pretty much my thoughts as well.
Stupid red-tape bureaucratic... I mean I just can't... I really oughta... where's my stinkin... *sigh*

and the wait continues :)
My EDC
In Truck: Sig P226R .357
On Person: Kimber Pro Crimson Carry II .45 ACP

ciphin

Post by ciphin »

Bulldog1911 wrote:Seems a lot of people's were mailed on the 7th. I wonder if they wait for until they fill a certain number and then manufacture the group on the same day?
That is my take as well based on historical data located on this forum. DPS appears to manufacture and mail CHLs once per week. They're likely batching them to reduce cost with the vendor that produces them rather than sending small batches daily.

Sheepdawg
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Sheepdawg »

Status updated today. Everything received, background under review.

Class 3.5, materials received 3.8, prints 3.9.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”