Becoming an undershirt guy ... UPDATE

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

karder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Becoming a undershirt guy ...

Post by karder »

I have been wearing an undershirt for as long as I can remember. Underwear in my father's house was undershorts and an under shirt, and if mom caught you outside in your undershirt, that was the same as being outside in your undershorts in her mind! As an adult I just carried on the tradition. The best thing about undershirts is that they keep the sweat & deodorant off your good shirts.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

gus

Post by gus »

Yes sir, T's or sleeveless under shirts. Much more comfortable! :coolgleamA:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

gus wrote:Yes sir, T's or sleeveless under shirts. Much more comfortable! :coolgleamA:
I would expect that from a guy named "Gus". :biggrinjester:
NRA Endowment Member

fulano
Posts in topic: 2

Post by fulano »

WildBill wrote:
fulano wrote:I know this is going to draw some flames but....
:???: Why would this draw flames? CHLers aren't exactly known for being fashion police. Wear away!
Thanks for the encouragement. I was visualizing the Pace commercial where the camp cookie passes a jar of picante sauce that was made in New York City around the campfire and a grizzled cowboy commanded "Get a rope!" :shock:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

WildBill
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WildBill »

fulano wrote:
WildBill wrote:
fulano wrote:I know this is going to draw some flames but....
:???: Why would this draw flames? CHLers aren't exactly known for being fashion police. Wear away!
Thanks for the encouragement. I was visualizing the Pace commercial where the camp cookie passes a jar of picante sauce that was made in New York City around the campfire and a grizzled cowboy commanded "Get a rope!" :shock:
If you're talkin' barbecue, chili or salsa, then you are right about that. Ralph Lauren, I am not so sure about. :txflag:
NRA Endowment Member

thr_wedge

Re: Becoming an undershirt guy ...

Post by thr_wedge »

I've been wearing athletic shirts (wife beaters) for years. All seasons, all the time, under t-shirts even whether carrying or not. I like them tight so buy my size, I want them close to the skin and not to get in the way of the over shirt, firearm, etc.
NRA member
TSRA member

ELB

Post by ELB »

+1 on the wife-beater style.

I wore T-shirts under uniform shirts in the service, until I got in my 40s (and in south Texas), then I switched to undershirts. When I started carrying IWB, I quickly realized I needed an undershirt no matter what, so I wear them under T-shirts (when that is my outer garment) as well. A little warmer maybe, but handles the perspiration better and the gun butt doesn't rub on me.
USAF 1982-2005

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I didn't wear undershirts until I got a job where they issued undershirts as a part of the uniform. I didn't like them at first. The 5.11 shirts were really tight around my neck & made the uniform hot. Then I got my CHL & continued wearing undershirts. I normally don't like tight shirts, but they are a bit slimming :)

tdwhite03

Post by tdwhite03 »

I buy all mine at JC Penny, they have a huge selection of the Long sizes for a few more bucks than you would spend at wally world. I am a recent convert to undershirts myself, and could never find any that were long enough to stay tucked in until I ran into the big and tall area at Pennys.

pcernuch

Post by pcernuch »

i wear the costco house brand "kirkland" undershirts. they fit well and do not shrink.

god bless.

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

I've always been an undershirt kind of guy. I go for the Stafford brand over at Dillards (or is it JCPenny's.. I forget) They're about $30 bucks for 3 of them, but they are soo durable and NEVER shrink. For the price I pay for them, they better not. I've always been the guy to wear a button up long sleeve with sleeves rolled up in the summer/ polo kind of guy. Works well with concealed. I never been a t-shirt/ jeans kind of guy, so I can't say how it would feel.

Stafford. Trust me. Get some. They run a bit big. I'm 5'10, 215 and wear a medium in them. I love my undershirts to be snug, plus it makes me look slimmer :P

Cheers
We don't need no stinking badges!

bigred90gt

Post by bigred90gt »

If I am wearing my shirt tucked in, I do not wear an undershirt (unless it is a dress shirt, then always wear one). When I am wearing my shirt tail out, I have to wear an undershirt. For some reason, I am allergic to whatever metals they use to make belt buckles, and if I dont have a shirt of some kind between me and the belt buckle, I get a nasty rash. I do have a little bit of Dunlop disease (belly dun-lopped over my belt), so I'd imagine if I just lost some weight, I wouldnt need the undershirt as a barrier.

All that being said, I buy the wife-beaters in 2x. I wear 1x shirts, but the 1x wife-beaters are not long enough by the time they stretch around my spare tire. The 2x are still tight enough to not be loose, but not so tight that they cut the blood off to my brain. They are designed to be snug, so if you are looking for something that is a bit loose, wife-beaters are not for you.

koolaid

Post by koolaid »

Best wife beater shirts for carrying are the Target Merona brand ones. They aren't ribbed like most of the other brands are so it doesn't rub or bunch up weird when your gun is pressed into it and they are cut to fit more snugly.

That being said, I've mostly stopped wearing them over the last few months. The extra comfort from keeping the butt of the gun off your skin is mostly outweighed by having a shirt tucked into your pants that traps heat like crazy. If you're wearing a t-shirt over them the fabrics also tend to stick to each other and prevent your overshirt from sliding back down over your gun when you get out of the car or whatever.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

koolaid wrote:If you're wearing a t-shirt over them the fabrics also tend to stick to each other and prevent your overshirt from sliding back down over your gun when you get out of the car or whatever.
I have found this. If I raise my arm then lower it, the outer shirt clings to the t-shirt and bunches instead of draping.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

Dave2

Post by Dave2 »

I never was an undershirt guy, but I started carrying right when the weather turned cool last year, so it was easy to add. We'll see what happens this summer. I don't mind the leather or the grip being right up against me, but the hammer really likes to pinch my spare tire. Maybe a pocket carry pistol like an LCP or LC9 will be in order. <shrug> We'll see.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”