Worn Leather Hoslter Causes "Accidental" Discharge

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 4

Worn Leather Hoslter Causes "Accidental" Discharge

Post by UpTheIrons »

WARNING: One of the photos shows a bullet graze wound on the gun owner's hip.

I saw this linked through one of the gun blogs today. I don't use this type of holster, and probably never will - this episode notwithstanding. The gist of it is that the leather got soft enough to encroach on the trigger when the gun was holstered.
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firea ... ischarges/

That's one way to ruin your day - I'm glad it wasn't more serious.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

WildBill

Re: Worn Leather Hoslter Causes "Accidental" Discharge

Post by WildBill »

UpTheIrons wrote:That's one way to ruin your day - I'm glad it wasn't more serious.
Ouch. That's gotta hurt. Thanks for the post.

I noticed the black marks on the holster and wonder if they are powder burns from the discharge. The area around the trigger looks very crushed. I never did like those yaqui or bikini style holsters. I think that any holster should cover the entire trigger guard. I sure hope that he didn't use any oils or lubricants to soften up the leather on his holster.
Last edited by WildBill on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

McKnife
Posts in topic: 1

Post by McKnife »

Just FYI:

This is the ONLY reason I prefer the XD over the Glock... After practicing with my XD, I have made it second nature to lift my palm off the grip safety when holstering, preventing the firing pin from releasing even if the trigger is pressed.
:coolgleamA:

Texas Dan Mosby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texas Dan Mosby »

From the article:
This truly brings home the importance of taking care of your equipment and ensuring it’s in proper working order. Hopefully you can learn from my situation and prevent an accident like this from happening to you.
"Point and press" firearms, such as the Glock carried by the subject of this article, are excellent choices for defense due to the simplicity in which they can be employed. However, when all that is required to discharge a firearm is a press of the trigger, a user must ensure that the trigger is protected at all times, whether the firearm is held in hand, or stored during carry. That's where this gentleman failed.

While design defects do result in "accidental" discharges, far more often, unintended discharges can be traced to negligence on the part of the user, and this example is no exception.

Be diligent, be safe.
88 day wait for the state to approve my constitutional right to bear arms...

Topic author
UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

Looking at the pictures, I don't think that's powder burns on the holster. I think that's just a year's worth of accumulated oils and grime. I sure hope he didn't oil it up to soften it.

I do have a Looper's belt slide holster for my 1911 that I rarely use anymore. It is still quite stiff, made of much thicker leather, and covers the whole trigger guard (but not as much as I'd like).

Also I put "accidental" in quotes in the title because I'm still not convinced there is ever an accidental discharge - only negligent ones. This one appears to be from casual negligence (as if there are varying kinds), but negligence just the same.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

fulano
Posts in topic: 3

Post by fulano »

WildBill wrote:
UpTheIrons wrote:........I never did like those yaqui or bikini style holsters. I think that any holster should cover the entire trigger guard. I sure hope that he didn't use any oils or lubricants to soften up the leather on his holster.
I would tend to be uneasy with the Recluse pocket holster for the reason that the trigger is encased in a plastic mold within the guard. Getting that mold into and out of the guard would appear to make the user vulnerable. IMHO
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

LongHairedRedneck

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

That could have been really really bad, just think if it discharged in the cafe and ricocheted off the floor(assuming its tile covered concrete) or it caught more of the mans leg/foot.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

flechero

Post by flechero »

fulano wrote:
I would tend to be uneasy with the Recluse pocket holster for the reason that the trigger is encased in a plastic mold within the guard. Getting that mold into and out of the guard would appear to make the user vulnerable. IMHO
Actually that's not the case at all... the recluse will not accept the trigger if it's not completely "out" for lack of the appropriate word. The trigger can't be moved when in the holster. I admit I was a skeptic before I tried it but have used it for several months and am quite pleased. Learning to draw quickly took a bit of practice, but that was just a good excuse to burn through a box of ammo every couple days until I got comfortable and proficient.

fulano

Post by fulano »

flechero wrote:
fulano wrote:
Actually that's not the case at all... the recluse will not accept the trigger if it's not completely "out" for lack of the appropriate word. The trigger can't be moved when in the holster. I admit I was a skeptic before I tried it but have used it for several months and am quite pleased. Learning to draw quickly took a bit of practice, but that was just a good excuse to burn through a box of ammo every couple days until I got comfortable and proficient.
What do you carry with it?
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

I'm surprised the guy sat there for the pictures to be taken. I can see it now. BANG!!!! Ouch! What the heck just happened? Hmmm.. Accidental discharge. Hey John, can you take your phone out and get a picture of this? It's a teachable moment.

fulano

Post by fulano »

pcgizzmo wrote:I'm surprised the guy sat there for the pictures to be taken. I can see it now. BANG!!!! Ouch! What the heck just happened? Hmmm.. Accidental discharge. Hey John, can you take your phone out and get a picture of this? It's a teachable moment.
Really.

I don't own enough blood pressure medicine for an experience like that.

gringop

Post by gringop »

That is one cruddy holster. No re-enforcement of the holster mouth. Cheesy single layer leather and no kind of blocking that I can see. The inside-the-belt design causes it to collapse when the gun is withdrawn. And Galco charges $65 for it.
A Yaqui Slide would be an improvement.

I've got a $20 Don Hume that works better than that holster.

Pics from the article
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you want to go inside the belt, get a real inside the pants holster and get it from a good holster maker. If it won't stay open for reholstering, don't get it.

Gringop

bpet

Post by bpet »

McKnife wrote:Just FYI:

This is the ONLY reason I prefer the XD over the Glock... After practicing with my XD, I have made it second nature to lift my palm off the grip safety when holstering, preventing the firing pin from releasing even if the trigger is pressed.

This :iagree: weighed heavily in my decision as well.
"Limit politicians to two terms. One in office and one in jail!" (Borrowed from an anonymous donor)

gemini

Post by gemini »

one thought comes to mind........ 1911 :biggrinjester:

witchdoctor575
Posts in topic: 2

Post by witchdoctor575 »

exactly. people press for guns with no secure safety and what do you expect. I use a 1911 because it has multiple safety mechanisms for this very reason. even my old little makarov had a secure safety.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”