Thinking about buying an AR

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Mage218
Posts in topic: 2

Thinking about buying an AR

Post by Mage218 »

I checked gunbroker.com and it seems that SW MP15, Bushmaster, and DPMS Panther Arms are around the same price and are less expensive than the others for sale. Are these decent models or something I should stay away from? what are some decent price ranges for experienced rifles?

Rex B
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Thinking about buying an AR

Post by Rex B »

All of those are fine guns.
DPMS might be a half-notch below the other two, but I could not tell you the difference except Bushmaster and S&W are recognized name brands, DPMS less so unless you are a gun person.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

S&W is the only brand I can recommend of those listed.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

gigag04 wrote:S&W is the only brand I can recommend of those listed.
I've seen you mention this before and was curious why? Do you find CMT machined lowers to be better than LAR (or LMT...forgot who makes Bushmasters these days)? Is it more the fit and finish done at the factory afterwards?

I only have three AR platform rifles (1 Bushmaster, 1 Remington [essentially a rebranded Bushmaster] and 1 DTI) and haven't run across any issues...I don't have a S&W or any other to compare it to. I'd love to get your insight.
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

The staking on the gas key on many of the BMs that I have seen have been poorly done or not at all. The High pressure testing and magnet particle inspection of the upper receiver and barrel is random and non-consistent. Things like M-4 feed ramps, true 556 chambers, No 158 steel, M-16 BCGs, are consistently not present on DPMS, Del-Ton, BM and other brands.

I think LAR is associated with bushmaster - LMT is it's own separate company Afaik. S&W it's right in between the "top tier" and the "other" category in my mind. "Other" being guns from BM, DPMS, RRA, etc. They are decent but lacking or limited in the above features.
Last edited by gigag04 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Thank you! That's some good info!

:tiphat:

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

Don't forget Spike's Tactical! They have quite the sparkling reputation especially for their price range.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/index.php

eureka40
Posts in topic: 4

Post by eureka40 »

I have an M&P 15 and a DPMS Oracle. They are both sweet shooters. All the back and forth about this brand and that brand is just that if your just going to the range with it. Just keep them clean and well lubed and don't run cheap ammo through them and you'll be fine. It's not rocket surgery. Or brain science. Or nuclear sweater knitting.

:patriot:
TSRA Life Memeber

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

eureka40 wrote:I have an M&P 15 and a DPMS Oracle. They are both sweet shooters. All the back and forth about this brand and that brand is just that if your just going to the range with it. Just keep them clean and well lubed and don't run cheap ammo through them and you'll be fine. It's not rocket surgery. Or brain science. Or nuclear sweater knitting.

:patriot:

I have an M&P as well and I have seen other AR's. Quite frankly, I couldn't tell one from another and they all seemed to shoot fine. I can't speak for combat situations. Things have been pretty calm here in Plano since we killed all the Indians 150 years ago or so. Paper targets sure don't seem to care which brand you launch the bullet from.

Topic author
Mage218

Post by Mage218 »

Thanks for the info guys, lot of helpful info. From what I have read, it didnt seem that the ARs are brand dependent but i wanted to make sure there wasnt some lurking in the shadows and thats why they were less expensive than the others.

I have a SW 637 38sp+p and springer XD9mm and ever since I bought my 1911, these 2 pistols just sit in my stand and dont get shot very often and carried even less. So i figured, why not trade 2 dust collectors for something I would shoot more, but I dont know the best way of doing it. Should I try to trade them outright for a rifle, or sell them and use that money 2 buy a rifle?

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

Mage218 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, lot of helpful info. From what I have read, it didnt seem that the ARs are brand dependent but i wanted to make sure there wasnt some lurking in the shadows and thats why they were less expensive than the others.

I have a SW 637 38sp+p and springer XD9mm and ever since I bought my 1911, these 2 pistols just sit in my stand and dont get shot very often and carried even less. So i figured, why not trade 2 dust collectors for something I would shoot more, but I dont know the best way of doing it. Should I try to trade them outright for a rifle, or sell them and use that money 2 buy a rifle?
Keep them! You can build an AR much cheaper than you can buy one. You could build an entry level, basic shooter for under $600. Then, customize from there.

eureka40
Posts in topic: 4

Post by eureka40 »

pbwalker wrote:
Mage218 wrote:Thanks for the info guys, lot of helpful info. From what I have read, it didnt seem that the ARs are brand dependent but i wanted to make sure there wasnt some lurking in the shadows and thats why they were less expensive than the others.

Keep them! You can build an AR much cheaper than you can buy one. You could build an entry level, basic shooter for under $600. Then, customize from there.

:iagree:

Good advice and a great way to learn the rifle.
TSRA Life Memeber

slinco

Post by slinco »

PETULANT MISANTHROPE
Why do they call it Tourist Season if ya can't shoot 'em?

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

For a follow-up comment, I have been very pleased with the little I have shot my S&W M&P-15 ORC. Gas key was properly staked, m4 extended feed ramps machined right, and fit and finish is good, and more accurate than I expected. However, if I had over to do again I would most likely get a Spike's Tactical just because they do some of the "going the extra mile" the big (budget) brands might not do. This includes magnetic particle testing and high pressure testing. Not saying they are the only ones in the game with a good affordable AR-15, but their customer service (allegedly) is fantastic and that, for me, is a deal maker in an age of seriously lack luster customer service just about everywhere. OH! and lifetime warranty helps too.

Bravo Company is well known for good builds. Noveske is fantastic and this is a heck of a deal http://shop.rarguns.com/RAR-Guns-N413-N ... arn413.htm. Might not be in your budget, but it would be a keeper for sure. Happy hunting!

ddstuder

Post by ddstuder »

kalipsocs wrote:Don't forget Spike's Tactical! They have quite the sparkling reputation especially for their price range.

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/index.php

I love mine! I spent 700 on a complete rifle (minus rear sight and Mags) I could not be happier with it!
Guns are like parachutes, if your ever in a situation that you need one and you dont have one, you'll probably never need one again.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”