Sig Day and a new Holster.....

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 7

Sig Day and a new Holster.....

Post by G.A. Heath »

So, with the day off work and a new holster having come in I decided to make it a Sig day. I just received my new, and fixed, Comp-Tac Minotaur Holster with a kydex body for my Sig P226. With the idea of Breaking in a new holster I decided to wear it, and what good is a holster without a gun? So I dropped my P226 in it and we were off. Now my Back Up Gun is always a Sig, a P238, so I am doing something I rarely do: Carrying only one name brand of handgun.

So about the P226, I believe I posted about getting it so I will give a quick summary. It's an old LE trade in gun built and sold during the Clinton AWB and came with 4 magazines all marked with the LE/Mil use only language. I got it dirt cheap, from an FFL no less, and the only issues the gun has is that the night sites are dim and someone hacked on the Hogue grips to make a thumb rest. Finish is in excellent condition (minimal holster wear), with very little mechanical wear internally, so I suspect the pistol spent more time out of a holster than in one. Eventually I will send the gun in for Sig's "Sig Service Plan" and that will result in new night sites, but I expect some Nill Walnut grips to arrive for it next week.

About the P238, it works well and has given me no issues. Its round count is approaching the 1k mark and has shown nothing but that famous Sig Reliability.

About the Holster. I already have one Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB holster, and I ordered some Kydex bodies for it only to learn they did not fit. As it turns out My older holster is a Gen 1, while my newer one is a Gen 2. They only make bodies for the Gen 2s now so my old M-TAC is obsolete. Now if you call them up in person and have a Gen 1 that your ordered from them you can get 15% off a new Gen 2 holster. Seeing as how I had kydex bodies that needed leather I could either return them or get a new holster, so a new holster was in order. When it came in the first time there was an issue, the T-Nuts in the kydex body were spinning free and the body could not be removed w/o damaging the leather. I called them up, spoke to Jennifer to get an RMA so I could send it back in, and within 10 days I received a brand new replacement.

Lessons learned:
1: Everything is subject to change, even holsters designed for future upgrades can become obsolete.
2: I like my Sig Sauer Pistols.
3: I can carry something besides a 1911 without suffering the pain of separation.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

Salty1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Sig Day and a new Holster.....

Post by Salty1 »

When you own the best why settle for anything less..... It is a Signess that has no cure because none is required....
Salty1

gfmun

Post by gfmun »

comp-tac is selling some older items on e-bay http://stores.ebay.com/Comp-tac-Outlet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You might find something that would fit.

George

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

I have to agree - Sigs are good guns. Among my favorites. :hurry:
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

68Charger
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 68Charger »

I own both guns (see sig below) and couldn't be happier. Love that holster. I carry my 226 in a Galco Royal Guard. Glad all went well.
We don't need no stinking badges!

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

gfmun wrote:comp-tac is selling some older items on e-bay http://stores.ebay.com/Comp-tac-Outlet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. You might find something that would fit.
Why would I want to do that when I can simply get gen2 bodies for the new holster? Besides, I have holsters/kydex bodies for the following:
My 1911s (Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe)
My XD (Crossbreed Super Tuck Deluxe)
My XDms (Gen 1 Comptac)
My Sig P226 (Gen 2 Comptac holster and body for 9mm w/o rail)
My Glock 19 (Gen 2 Comptac body)
My S&W M&P (Gen 2 Comptac body)
My Sig P238 (Ugly handmade holster that works)
My Ruger LCP (Various pocket holsters)
My S&W 442 (Various pocket holsters and two belt holsters)
My Ruger LCR (Various pocket holsters and one super ugly handmade belt holster)
Plus some others that I probably will never carry.

The ugly holsters were made by a friend who believes a holster for concealed carry should be as ugly as sin to prevent them from being seen. He can make some real nice looking holsters, but prefers to make ugly yet functional stuff. When he gets around to finishing it I will post pics of my "Hunting rig" he is making for my Bisley Hunter Super Blackhawk. Its a work of art, and isn't even finished yet.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?

Carry4Life

Post by Carry4Life »

I bought my Sig P238 a month or so ago. I put 150 rounds through it without any issues. However, feeding the first round in the magazine was hard. I found out that although my model was manufactured last year, they had come out with better recoil springs. So Sig sent me a new spring. The original spring was round-wire that had to go on the guide rod a certain way. The new spring is twice as long as the old one, flat-wire, and can go on hte guide rod from either end. It really tightened up the feeding and made it smooth as silk, and reliable. Just an FYI. If your spring is not flat-wire, call Sig and get the new spring, it works better.
Carry4Life

03/12/2011 - Plastic

68Charger

Post by 68Charger »

You gotta pic of what it looks like.
We don't need no stinking badges!

Carry4Life

Post by Carry4Life »

No photos of mine personally. I have the P238 Rainbow. Mine looks just like the one on their site, so here is a link to their photos, which are very accurate representations of it.

http://sigsauer.com/Products/ShowCatalo ... ductid=280" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carry4Life

03/12/2011 - Plastic

zero4o3
Posts in topic: 3

Post by zero4o3 »

Salty1 wrote:When you own the best why settle for anything less..... It is a Signess that has no cure because none is required....
:iagree: I love all my sigs

XinTX

Post by XinTX »

zero4o3 wrote: :iagree: I love all my sigs
+1.
SIG P239/9
SIG P238
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

timdsmith72

Post by timdsmith72 »

XinTX wrote:
zero4o3 wrote: :iagree: I love all my sigs
+1.
SIG P239/9
SIG P238
+2
Sig P226R/9
Sig 1911 RCS /.45

Scott in Houston

Post by Scott in Houston »

When you find the cant you like... I highly recommend cutting off the bottom of those clips. It will make that holster much more comfortable.
I have 3 of those holsters, and they are FANTASTIC.

Topic author
G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

G192627 wrote:When you find the cant you like... I highly recommend cutting off the bottom of those clips. It will make that holster much more comfortable.
I have 3 of those holsters, and they are FANTASTIC.
I did that just after taking the photo. I have a Gen1 (For my XDm pistols) that I had already gotten comfortable so I simply cut the clips to match it's.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

zero4o3 wrote:
Salty1 wrote:When you own the best why settle for anything less..... It is a Signess that has no cure because none is required....
:iagree: I love all my sigs
+3 Sig P226 9 and Sig P239 357 Sig
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”