Mensa membership letter

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Mensa membership letter

Post by KD5NRH »

gigag04 wrote:....A CHL applicant background check is nowhere near as thorough as a trooper applicant.
Maybe he was referring to the physical requirements; you have to actually be able to fit through the door of the CHL classroom. :lol:

glocklvr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by glocklvr »

Thanks for the info I have considered joining that group but I refuse to give anti-gun organization my $$$
It is easier to get an airport security clearance than a CHL

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

gigag04 wrote:....A CHL applicant background check is nowhere near as thorough as a trooper applicant.
I was going to say.... but you beat me to it. If that were true, I'd be a trooper... ...and that's not a good thing. :mrgreen:

I have a rather bitter rant about IQ...

My parents were both long-time professors at Caltech. My dad published at least a couple of books before he died, and my mother has published 14 books to date, and at age 86, she is currently working on number 15. I don't know what their IQs were/are, but I would take it as a given that they probably would have tested pretty highly to have that kind of career. But none of that mattered to a son who idolized his emotionally distant father, who didn't know how to live up to his mother's impossibly high standards, and who spent most of his childhood and adolescent years in an emotional wilderness trying to find value in his own life because his parents didn't know how to invest him with a sense of his own worth.

IQ doesn't mean a damned thing. It is just another point of pride, in a world full of pride.

I was tested as a lad, and I apparently scored quite highly. Wisely or not, my parents refused to divulge the results to me because they didn't want me to get big-headed about it. The thing is that, since then, I've done any number of stupid things in my life, high IQ or not. In the end, if I may paraphrase Martin Luther King, I would rather be judged by the content of my character than by the altitude of my IQ score. I have met any people in my life who were plenty book-smart and would have probably tested very highly, but who were naive and incapable in the ways of the world. And I have also seen plenty of people whose career arcs tend to display high IQ scores, but whose personal actions revealed them to be people of low character at the very moments when character counts most. William Jefferson Clinton comes to mind. Conversely, I have also met people possessed of simple wisdom and the instinctive ability to do what is right in all things. These are the people I most admire. For all practical purposes, these are the most intelligent people in the world.

I have been approached by friends who were members to join Mensa. I couldn't be bothered. My escape line is to borrow from Mark Twain and say that I wouldn't want to be part of any club that would have me as a member. But the truth is that I don't want to be part of any group that exists to glorify something its members had no part in doing for themselves. It isn't an accomplishment. One's baseline IQ is largely a matter of heredity. It can be improved on somewhat by the nurturing process, and it can be depressed somewhat by failing to continue its stimulus, but we all have a baseline IQ (regardless of what method you want to use to test it). It is higher for some than for others, and that is purely a matter of genetics. So belonging to a club based on an inherited trait is kind of like belonging to a club of blondes, or the left-handed. It is pretty meaningless. In terms of my own personal experience growing up, IQ didn't necessarily add to the quality of my life, and it continues to have not much impact on it today.

I choose to give glory to God, who is the author of whatever intellect I possess, and I refuse to take credit for or glorify anything about it, because I'm not in charge. HE is.

Thus endeth my little rant...
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
sailor2000

Post by sailor2000 »

Russell wrote:I was wondering about that DPS Trooper comment as well. If this is not correct and OP just made something up to stick on the email, lying is not helping our cause.
Actually, this was said by my first CHL instructor, back in 1990 something.

What is difference between the two procedures?
It is useless for the Sheep to circulate petitions calling for universal vegetarianism while the Wolves hold a different opinion.
NRA Endowment Member

http://www.senioranswer.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

The Annoyed Man wrote:IQ doesn't mean a damned thing. It is just another point of pride, in a world full of pride...
Just so.

When my late wife and I were dating, in 1969, she had just been honored by (I can't recall the names, how chauvinistic) a couple of different societies in NY State, for being the first female CLU in upstate NY, an accomplished CPCU, and a "million seller" in the insurance industry. Her boss encouraged her to join Mensa for the social contacts and prospecting leads and she took me along. I was admitted without further testing due to my test scores in the Navy (GCT/ARI???) but she darn near didn't make it due to her extreme left handedness, and a couple of the spatial tests were very right handed.

Shortly after we became members, some time in 1970, we became aware of anti-gun policies in Mensa, and resigned.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:and that is purely a matter of genetics. So belonging to a club based on an inherited trait is kind of like belonging to a club of blondes, or the left-handed.
There are clubs for left-handers and for tall people. There are clubs for people with Irish, Italian or Chinese ancestors.

And let's not forget the NAACP.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

sailor2000 wrote:
Russell wrote:I was wondering about that DPS Trooper comment as well. If this is not correct and OP just made something up to stick on the email, lying is not helping our cause.
Actually, this was said by my first CHL instructor, back in 1990 something.

What is difference between the two procedures?
Your first CHL instructor is mistaken. Here are just some of the disqualifiers:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/trainingac ... ifiers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In addition to a criminal records search, the background check will include interviews with friends, relatives, neighbors and employers. The State of Texas is not a "shall issue state" for Trooper Badges. :lol:
NRA Endowment Member

SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

My parents tested my in highschool to figure out what was "wrong" with me. Come to find out, I was above Mensa levels, but just bone lazy. Also, I am a really good test taker, and that accounts for a good bit of any score.

That being said, joining a club which consists of a bunch of people talking about IQ test scores sounds horrid.
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

The Annoyed Man

cbr600 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:and that is purely a matter of genetics. So belonging to a club based on an inherited trait is kind of like belonging to a club of blondes, or the left-handed.
There are clubs for left-handers and for tall people. There are clubs for people with Irish, Italian or Chinese ancestors.

And let's not forget the NAACP.
Yes there are, and I don't see any value to them either.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

Ah, you were quoting Groucho Marx, not my other hero, Mark Twain in regard to the club member quote...

The Annoyed Man

Abraham wrote:TAM,

Ah, you were quoting Groucho Marx, not my other hero, Mark Twain in regard to the club member quote...
Groucho was quoting Twain.

#TINVOWOOT

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

TAM,

NOW you tell me!

I've been quoting Groucho's club member quote for lo these many years and NOW I find out it wasn't his...my faith in Groucho is shaken.

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KD5NRH »

SecedeTX wrote:Come to find out, I was above Mensa levels, but just bone lazy.
Nothing encourages genius like ambitious laziness.

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 6

Post by OldSchool »

SecedeTX wrote:My parents tested my in highschool to figure out what was "wrong" with me. Come to find out, I was above Mensa levels, but just bone lazy. Also, I am a really good test taker, and that accounts for a good bit of any score.

That being said, joining a club which consists of a bunch of people talking about IQ test scores sounds horrid.
Being a "really good test taker" requires good learning and adaptation skills, so truly is a reasonable indicator of higher IQ, IMHO.

As to the club, Mensa covers a much larger segment of society than most other HIQ organizations, and so... well, pick your poison.... :evil2:

However, the HIQ orgs do serve a very valid purpose for those well above Mensa level, that being to help the members feel part of a community. This feeling is very often denied those who are considered "different" by their peers, from a very early age. :mad5
ETA: CHL holders wouldn't feel the need for something like that, would they?? :evil2:
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”