Rodeo

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Springbike
Posts in topic: 2

Rodeo

Post by Springbike »

Since the Housron Rodeo is no longer a professional event are we OK to carry in Reliant?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Rodeo

Post by WildBill »

Springbike wrote:Since the Housron Rodeo is no longer a professional event are we OK to carry in Reliant?
I didn't know that. Since the Houston Rodeo is no longer affiliated with the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association it could be said that it is no longer a "professional sporting event."

IANAL so I am not giving any legal advice.

http://worldofrodeo.com/rodeonews/?p=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.prorodeo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by WildBill on Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

When did they break from the PRCA?

I would still defer to the thought that they are doing what is commonly considered a sport and getting paid for it, so while you could push the envelope and do it, if caught, you may beat the case, but may not beat the ride.... is it worth it?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Teamless wrote:When did they break from the PRCA?

I would still defer to the thought that they are doing what is commonly considered a sport and getting paid for it, so while you could push the envelope and do it, if caught, you may beat the case, but may not beat the ride.... is it worth it?
The announcement on the link was November 24, 2010.
http://worldofrodeo.com/rodeonews/?p=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's an article in the Houston Chronicle:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/7456251.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by WildBill on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Springbike

Post by Springbike »

Teamless wrote:When did they break from the PRCA?

The event is now an Invitational. From what i read, there is a total purse of $1.5M but it's not a professinal sporting event.

As for the spirit/intention - companies that post an incorrect 30.06 are posting their intention but doing so outside of legislation?

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

Springbike wrote:companies that post an incorrect 30.06 are posting their intention but doing so outside of legislation?
True, but I also do not remember ever seeing a 30.06 sign at Reliant - and bear in mind, I have not been there since having a CHL, so it could have been, and I never looked.
But even still, those that post outside of legislation, does not mean you won't beat the ride in the cop car with the pretty silver bracelets, right or wrongly.

There are lots of opportunities to be a test case, if you want, like all of the Gun Shows at Pasadena Convention Center or GRB, that are posted wrongly....
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

hirundo82
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hirundo82 »

Teamless wrote:True, but I also do not remember ever seeing a 30.06 sign at Reliant - and bear in mind, I have not been there since having a CHL, so it could have been, and I never looked.
Reliant Stadium is owned by the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority, which is a government entity, so any 30.06 notice is invalid. Of course that doesn't stop them from posting the gun shows there, and I don't feel like being a test case.
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." Barack Obama, 12/20/2007

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Springbike wrote:The event is now an Invitational. From what i read, there is a total purse of $1.5M but it's not a professinal sporting event.
What about a PGA Invitational Golf Tour?
NRA Endowment Member

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

If they get paid to ride, it is still a professional sporting event. PRCA is merely the sanctioning body. They don't have a monopoly on what is professional rodeo, and what isn't. An analogy would be professional football in the days before there was an NFL or AFL. If you get paid to play, whether or not it is your primary source of income, you're a professional. Amateurs don't get paid.

[off-topic rant]
These days, "amateur" is commonly used as a dismissive, because we assume that those who are getting paid to do what they do are better at it than those who don't. In a capitalistic sense, that may have some truth to it; but as a guitar player of 48 years, I can say with authority that for every brilliant professional guitarist, there are 20 more better than he is who never got discovered.

But back in the early days of modern olympic sports, it was the other way around. Amateur athletes were much admired because they performed their feats of excellence purely for the love of the sport and the accolades. "Professionals" were deemed to be uncouth and gross, because their motives for performing were deemed to be tainted by greed rather than by the love of excellence. After all, by the standard of the day, if they were really that good, they could compete against the world's best - who were unpaid - but they would have to do it as amateurs themselves. There was a social disconnect between excellence and remuneration - particularly in sports. And I think that not have been such a bad thing. Excellence in capitalistic ventures was still desirable, but that disconnect encouraged people to seek excellence in all things, regardless of whether they were being paid nothing, a small salary, or a huge fortune. Granted, the nitty-gritty of society didn't always reflect that; but that was the ideal that people clung to back then - even if they didn't meet that ideal in their own lives.

I think we lack that healthy disconnect today. The world is full of people who have less than high-paying jobs, who don't feel particularly motivated to do a good job because, in their minds, they aren't getting paid enough to do a good job. They want to see the returns before they put in the work. Their rationale is that, if they got paid better, they would work harder. The world is also full of people who attain high positions, perform poorly, lead their companies into insolvency, and then make off with obscenely huge compensation. The new paradigm is that the level of remuneration comes before the level of effort. This is "anti-darwinian," for lack of a better term.

But when we look at how the world really works, we see that it is the other way around. In the animal kingdom, excellence at what the animal is designed to do and be leads to survival of that animal and the passing on of its genetic contribution to the species. In the human world, hard work ought to lead to recognition, which in turn leads to advancement, which in turn leads to increased remuneration. The excellence should come before the reward, not after it.

I am a capitalist all the way to the bone, and I believe that athletes ought to get paid, if they want to be, and their pay should be commensurate with their performance, as determined by the marketplace. But there is a part of me that rebels when I hear the word "amateur" used to disparage somebody else - partly because the word still has its original meaning, even if people don't use it that way as much (imagine the use of the word "gay" pre-1970s compared to its use today), and partly because it is still admirable when someone chooses to do something for the love of the doing it, even if they're not getting paid for it. How many of us love to shoot, but we don't get paid to shoot? We are amateurs. Should the word be used to in any way mock or disparage you or me because we don't get paid for what we love to do, and try to do nonetheless to the best of our abilities because we love it?
[/off-topic rant]

Sorry for carrying on about it. It's just one of my personal quirks.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:If they get paid to ride, it is still a professional sporting event. PRCA is merely the sanctioning body. They don't have a monopoly on what is professional rodeo, and what isn't. An analogy would be professional football in the days before there was an NFL or AFL. If you get paid to play, whether or not it is your primary source of income, you're a professional. Amateurs don't get paid.
This is getting at little OT. I know this isn't Texas Law, but this is California's definition:
"Professional sporting event" means a scheduled sporting event
involving a professional sports team or organization or a professional athlete for which an admission fee is charged to the public.
New York's is different. This part of the law is for disrupting a sporting event, but it's interesting to note that they even include team practice. It more along the lines of defining an amusment park in Texas.
Definitions. For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
1. Major venue sporting event. An athletic competition or practice involving a professional team or an athletic competition or practice being conducted in a venue with a permanent seating capacity of more than five thousand. The duration of such competition or practice is to include the period from the opening of the venue's gates to the public, to the closing of the gates after the event.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”