Conceal Carry when going to the Range?

Places to practice & train

Moderator: carlson1

Lonest4r
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Conceal Carry when going to the Range?

Post by Lonest4r »

sjfcontrol wrote:
baldeagle wrote:Ask the range what their policy is. Garland Shooting Range allows it. The Bullet Trap in Plano has a sign in the window stating that all firearms must be unloaded before entering. Having said that, it's not illegal to carry concealed into/onto a gun range. The worst that could happen is that they ask you not to return, which might be a tipoff that they shouldn't get your business anyway.
As noted, the sign at Bullet Trap is not 30.06, and they don't expect it to apply to CHL holders. They have stated that if you want to shoot your carry gun, you may unholster at the firing line, change ammo, and shoot. When done, reload with HP ammo and re-conceal at the line. I have done this multiple times without issue. They probably wouldn't appreciate drawing and shooting, however... :banghead:
I have had the same experience. I asked the staff what would be the best option for removing my concealed gun for target practice, they said that I could unholster at the firing line. I imagine that they make judgment calls based upon whether the feel comfortable allowing you to remove your loaded weapon at the firing line, so don't look like a box of rocks when you go ask them. It also helps to show them maturity if you ask. YMMV
LONEST4R
7/24/10 Class- 8/28/10 Plastic!
Glock 26 in Horsehide Supertuck

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

At Garland range, on one of few first trips I did open carry an unloaded pistol when I finshed from the pistol range to the rifle range. The range officer did not like it as if I am challanging his authority. I neverdid it again.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

I typically carry a different concealed handgun than what I intend to shoot, like several other people have stated.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

Call the range you are going to and ask. I know Top Gun in H-town won't let you in the door with firearmsthat are in plain sight. They must either be in a bag or conceled on person, they don't even ask to see them, they just check your ammo. So checking with the specific range would be the point I am trying to make. Or, you could just send you buddy in while you wait in the car so he looks like the silly one.

andy123

Post by andy123 »

Just FYI just got off the phone with eagle peak shooting range. They do allow you to carry into the building and to where you are going to shoot. they do require you to keep it concelaed until you do go to the fireing line. you can not draw and fire.
Ruger SR9C

gtrman66
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gtrman66 »

I asked at Bass Pro in grapevine and there was no issue if you had a CHL.

The next time I went in, I checked in with 2 boxes of ammo, but no pistol and headed to the range, no questions asked. I unholstered and reholstered in the range.

I have had a good experience at Bass Pro everytime so far.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent
2/4/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/18/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/4/10 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
3/13/10 Plastic in Hand!!!

zero4o3

Post by zero4o3 »

gigag04 wrote:I always carry a different gun than I intend to shoot.
This, call me silly but I dont like to re holster my gun after putting a couple hundred rounds through it and carry it again until It has cooled down and I have cleaned it.

that being said I have shot the gun I was carring at both the marksman and the arms room with out anyone making any kind of deal about it.

fulano
Posts in topic: 4

Post by fulano »

When I go to the range, I take out my carry gun and shot 5 rounds. I do the same with my BUG. It always makes me feel good when I can do that without any problems (so far so good). It keeps you from wondering "will this thing work when I need it".

I then change to my practice fodder ($1+ per round is not my idea of practice fodder) and run another 50 at least through it and the BUG. When I'm done with my shooting, I reload the CCW and BUG with my favorite PD (Gold Dot), conceal the gun, leave the range and go about my way. When I get home, I clean the gun.

Works for me.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they don't want to hear." George Orwell 1903-1950

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

gtrman66 wrote:I asked at Bass Pro in grapevine and there was no issue if you had a CHL.

The next time I went in, I checked in with 2 boxes of ammo, but no pistol and headed to the range, no questions asked. I unholstered and reholstered in the range.

I have had a good experience at Bass Pro everytime so far.
This is very interesting. I like this. They did not even ask what caliber or how many mags or want to put a lock on it huh? This just makes it so much easier!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

zero4o3 wrote:
gigag04 wrote:I always carry a different gun than I intend to shoot.
This, call me silly but I dont like to re holster my gun after putting a couple hundred rounds through it and carry it again until It has cooled down and I have cleaned it.

that being said I have shot the gun I was carring at both the marksman and the arms room with out anyone making any kind of deal about it.
:iagree:

I try not to reload and reholster my EDC for use until it has cooled down and been cleaned and lubed. Probably overkill considering that it is a Glock (26 or 19 depending on my dress). I usually shoot one of these EDC's along with whatever other guns I am shooting, but I like to have the other one ready and concealed. I have occasionally shot both on the same day (when trying to give a friend a variety of weapons to shoot, etc), and when that happens, I like to at least have a BUG ready and concealed.

LR95S97

Post by LR95S97 »

The range I frequent has a sign that says (paraphrasing) 'your weapon must be holstered or in a bag upon entering the premise'.

Discussing the sign with an employee, she said that (for the range users) the word 'holstered' means concealed. She then looked me square in the eyes and her normally jovial demeanor changed to cold-stone serious and she said "it would be a bad idea to walk through the front door with a gun in your hand". The range owner allows employees to open carry while at work.

They (Shiloh Shooting Range) are good people who take care of their customers......

Bully238
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bully238 »

baldeagle wrote:Ask the range what their policy is. Garland Shooting Range allows it. The Bullet Trap in Plano has a sign in the window stating that all firearms must be unloaded before entering. Having said that, it's not illegal to carry concealed into/onto a gun range. The worst that could happen is that they ask you not to return, which might be a tipoff that they shouldn't get your business anyway.
I've seen that sign at the Bullet Trap and these rules only make it difficult for "law abiding citizens". At some point your gun will be loaded. After all you are going to the range to SHOOT your weapon for crying out loud. The Garland range is something special. It's not everyday you can shoot along side an 20 something with purple hair and a nose ring. Ahh yes...even they have rights (and of course I support their rights).
It is easy to take liberty for granted, when you have never had it taken from you. ~Author unknown

oldtexan

Post by oldtexan »

I am privileged to train at Tac Pro Shooting Center north of Stephenville much more than at any other facility. I carry my gun(s) concealed, practice my drawstroke, shoot from concealment, shoot multiple targets, move while shooting, transition to backup gun, etc, there and never have an issue. All this is allowed there.

There are no rangemasters per se at Tac Pro. The shooters themselves are responsible to be safe and to cooperate with each other. Never heard of an incident there and I've been shooting there consistently for over 8 years.

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 9

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Bully238 wrote:
I've seen that sign at the Bullet Trap and these rules only make it difficult for "law abiding citizens". At some point your gun will be loaded. After all you are going to the range to SHOOT your weapon for crying out loud. The Garland range is something special. It's not everyday you can shoot along side an 20 something with purple hair and a nose ring. Ahh yes...even they have rights (and of course I support their rights).

Once again I will point out that the sign mentioned DOES NOT apply to a person with a CHL. Unless said person failed to pay attention in class and does not understand the basic rules of proper signage required to prohibit entrance with a LOADED concealed weapon. They teach a CHL coarse at Bullet Trap. They figure they should not have to explain this to a CHL holder.

NOTHING ABOUT THE SIGN MAKES IT HARD ON A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN!

I agree about Garland Public shooting range. That place does attract some very colorful personalities...LOL. Bullet Trap does also, but because they have cameras watching all shooters, the buffoonery is kept to a minimum. At Garland it takes a fellow shooter to catch the fools and correct them.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 12

Post by sjfcontrol »

:iagree: Yeah. That's already been said at least once in this thread, by somebody, I forget who...

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=42616#p514231" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:txflag:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Shooting Ranges”