Thanks...

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Never going to Cabelas in Fort Worth again

Post by Keith B »

Boy, talk about dead thread reincarnation; 3.5 years. :lol:

Cabela's policy is to allow CHL's holders to carry. As a matter of fact, the store in Fort Worth hosts CHL classes frequently and they know people carry there all the time.

For the OP, it may have been a new person and not fully understanding the rules as they were fairly newly opened at the time. I have not heard of this happening at all other than in this post.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Russell B
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Russell B »

I'm still stuck on the fanny pack as a decoy thing....
Russell B
DFW
XD45 Compact
XD9
XD9SC
Clip><Magazine, know the difference.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

The employee in question may also no longer be there. As far as I remember they have never been posted any 30.06 signs. I've been there many times over the last several years, even 2007, and never had any problems like this. As mentioned, they also hold CHL classes there now and even Charles' seminar just a few weeks ago. I was there with the other 80+ people and I would be willing to bet there were at least that many guns in the room. Because of the traffic getting to the seminar I had to return a couple of days latter to do the shopping I had intended on doing before the class. It was a nice day, so I rode my motorcycle and wore a backpack to carrying home my purchases. No one even questioned my about my backpack.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

This smacks of 2nd Amendment Profiling!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Fangs

Post by Fangs »

GAM wrote:I visited Cabelas in Buda this (Sunday) morning to pick up some reloading powder (Hazmat shipping is a killer!) and took the time to examine the signage on the front doors. Only business hours are posted.
Odd, last time I was there they had a sign up that said all weapons brought in for repair or sale had to be inspected / zip tied. The same sign specifically excluded weapons carried by CHLers for personal protection. :cheers2:
"When I was a kid, people who did wrong were punished, restricted, and forbidden. Now, when someone does wrong, all of the rest of us are punished, restricted, and forbidden. The one who did the wrong is counselled and "understood" and fed ice cream." - speedsix

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

GAM wrote:I visited Cabelas in Buda this (Sunday) morning to pick up some reloading powder (Hazmat shipping is a killer!) and took the time to examine the signage on the front doors. Only business hours are posted. There were two gentlemen at a table in orange vests past the second set of doors to handle any incoming firearms and they did look over the inrush of customers (from behind their table) entering just as the store opened. Otherwise, I saw no mention of concealed carry one way or another. I carry in a vest due to my very casual attire and they did not give me a second look. I suspect the OP's treatment was specific to the individual he encountered and we all have to remind ourselves to be courteous (not that the OP wasn't!) when questioned and feel free to vote with our feet if need be. I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but since I wasn't licensed at the time, I paid no attention to these things and ran across it while trying to see if anyone had experienced problems visiting Cabelas before I went on my first carry there. ;-)

I go to the Buda Cabelas a couple times a month and they have signs that say the requirement that guns be unloaded and checked does not apply to CHL holders.

I went in Cablelas once carrying five guns. My son and I were headed to the range and I didn't want to leave any guns in the car --he had four. I had a huge fanny pack holding three of them. I'm sure it looked idiotic but no one said anything.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

VMI77 wrote:
GAM wrote:I visited Cabelas in Buda this (Sunday) morning to pick up some reloading powder (Hazmat shipping is a killer!) and took the time to examine the signage on the front doors. Only business hours are posted. There were two gentlemen at a table in orange vests past the second set of doors to handle any incoming firearms and they did look over the inrush of customers (from behind their table) entering just as the store opened. Otherwise, I saw no mention of concealed carry one way or another. I carry in a vest due to my very casual attire and they did not give me a second look. I suspect the OP's treatment was specific to the individual he encountered and we all have to remind ourselves to be courteous (not that the OP wasn't!) when questioned and feel free to vote with our feet if need be. I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but since I wasn't licensed at the time, I paid no attention to these things and ran across it while trying to see if anyone had experienced problems visiting Cabelas before I went on my first carry there. ;-)

I go to the Buda Cabelas a couple times a month and they have signs that say the requirement that guns be unloaded and checked does not apply to CHL holders.

I went in Cablelas once carrying five guns. My son and I were headed to the range and I didn't want to leave any guns in the car --he had four. I had a huge fanny pack holding three of them. I'm sure it looked idiotic but no one said anything.
I didn't think that any Cabela's had shooting ranges. :headscratch
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Aggiedad

Post by Aggiedad »

Just ran across this resurrected thread and had to post my $.02 ...

The OP admitted he wears the fanny pack as bait so others would assume he's carrying a gun in it. IT APPEARS HE GOT WHAT HE WANTED. The employee in the orange vest took the bait but also incorrectly thought the guy was going to show a firearm at the gun counter. The encounter went south when the OP chose NOT to use deescalation tactics but instead returned the rude behavior of the employee with even more rude behavior. This would have been a non-event if the OP had responded with, "I'm sorry but you are incorrect. I do NOT have a gun in this bag. Feel free to check it." There was no need to say anything about having a CHL. The part about thinking he was picked on because he was "disabled" is ridiculous. The empolyee needs/needed some training on how to handle customers too.
:tiphat:

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Were you wearing your CHL badge? "rlol"

fickman

Post by fickman »

There is a nuance that I feel hasn't been mentioned. . . this entire situation is also partially caused by CHL holders at gun stores who love to reveal their hidden firearm and concealment mechanism.

Let's say you own two guns: A and B.

If you need parts or accessories or are looking to sell gun A, you should have it unloaded and check it at the door. You can carry gun B concealed.

If you decide while shopping that you want to consider an accessory for gun B, you should go to your car, unload gun B, return to the store, and have it checked at the door. If you want to conceal a firearm, you should use gun A at this time.

At no time during concealed carry should you take your concealed firearm and make it unconcealed unless it is to defend yourself. . . even when among "friends" at a gun store, pawn shop, or gun show.
Native Texian

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Use the sash to help hide the fanny pack...like the op ever came back....
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

VMI77
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VMI77 »

Keith B wrote:
VMI77 wrote:

I didn't think that any Cabela's had shooting ranges. :headscratch

They don't, but south Austin has Reds. Stopped at Cabelas to buy ammo and do some other shopping and didn't want to leave guns in the car to be stolen.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

VMI77 wrote:
Keith B wrote: I didn't think that any Cabela's had shooting ranges. :headscratch

They don't, but south Austin has Reds. Stopped at Cabelas to buy ammo and do some other shopping and didn't want to leave guns in the car to be stolen.
Ah, OK. Thought you meant to a range in Cabela's. :thumbs2:
Keith

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

There is no free lunch ... when one gets 20% off the price of something then one should not expect the good service that one gets by paying full price. We Americans have come to expect full service at discount prices. Shame on us!
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

hangfour wrote:There is no free lunch ... when one gets 20% off the price of something then one should not expect the good service that one gets by paying full price. We Americans have come to expect full service at discount prices. Shame on us!
I disagree with your statement. If a store has a sale or a discount program, then they should not also discount the level of service. It is the choice of the store to put that item on sale or offer special discounts or pricing. Sales are to the stores benefit to draw in customers. So, whether I buy that item on sale or at full price, I should get the same level of support and service for it.

Now, if it is understood up front that the item is sold 'as is', and there is no warranty or support, then I would agree that you get what you pay for.
Keith

Return to “Never Again!!”