New Member needing help

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Re: New Member needing help

Post by RPB »

That Taurus Compact for $329 that was $499 isn't too bad but you need to look and decide if it "fits" They run that on sale around holidays at the 329 price too
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=c ... ad&pgNum=9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In actuality, it looks like it's a PT 609 Pro 9mm Parabellum aka Luger is the International version of our 609 TI-13, and used by many police departments in other countries. http://www.taurusarmas.com.br/pistola-t ... r-atirador" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Taurus guns usually shoot low for some people, for me they are spot on and I had to adjust/change sights on my Glocks because they all shot high for me ....

That's why you need to try before you buy if at all possible
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
TTU Bass Angler

Post by TTU Bass Angler »

RPB- Thanks. Thats exactly the type of info I am looking for .

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cbunt1 »

I'll throw down in here just because...

If I could only have one gun to carry, I'd go with a .357 mag revolver as a first choice, and a .38 spl revolver as second choice....but that's just me--and it doesn't reflect what I carry most of the time.

That said, a 9mm can be had for about the same kind of money, and ammo is much easier to come by....38's easy enough, but 9mm is everywhere, and it's relatively cheap.

All of the guns mentioned here are good guns. Risking my reputation as an old-school troglodyte, for a single gun, it's hard for me not to recommend a Glock, since it's easy to come up with parts, holsters, accessories, mags, etc. to keep it going, and if you look around on the used market, you can find them reasonably priced...and there's not much (major) to go wrong, and most anything that can is easy and cheap to fix.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

A-R

Post by A-R »

A lot of this will depend on your budget, you really can't get a quality new gun for much less than $400 or so. Used maybe down to $300 but that's pushing it.

I'm with the crowd who would prefer a used Glock, Sig, or S&W revolver over a brand-new Taurus/Kel Tec etc.

http://www.texasguntrader.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good place to look for used (in addition to the guns for sale on this forum and a few others).

For a first gun, try to decide how you think you'll carry it. A snub-nose 2-inch revolver is great to carry in a front pocket. A 9mm semi-auto is great for carrying in a belt holster, either inside or outside your waistband. And don't forget the quality (and thus price) of your holster and belt are as important (or more so) to comfortable concealed carry as the choice of firearm. For decent quality (not the best, but good enough), plans to spend about $50 on a stiff belt (try 5.11 tactical web belts and leather belts with kydex stiffiners - about $35). For holster, try one of the many knockoff leather/kydex hybrid holters like http://www.oldfaithfulholsters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or the "kholster" .... same idea as more well-known and expensive Crossbreed Supertuck and Comp Tac M-TAC, but cost less.

For beginners, I recommend Glock, Springfield Armory XD, Smith & Wesson M&P, Ruger SR9 in semi-auto and S&W, Ruger, and Taurus revolvers. If you have small hands or short fingers, also consider thinner semi-autos with "single stack" magazines (instead of guns listed above with thicker double-stack magazines which make the grips thicker). A Kahr CW9 is about $400 new. Taurus PT709 Slim is about $375.

Try them out and see what fits your hand best (but be sure you know how to properly grip a gun or "how it fits" may not be how it SHOULD fit in your hands with proper firing grip).

For a quality and relatively inexpensive NEW gun, look at Ruger. Either the SR9/SR9c or the LCR revolver should be available for $400 or less if you look hard enough (Academy and others overprice these into the mid $400 range).

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.asp ... r=RUG-5401" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.asp ... r=RUG-3301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.gtdist.com/ProductDetail.asp ... r=RUG-3313" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Although the trigger is heavy double action like a revolver, my Keltec P-11 9mm is accurate, 12 round mag +1 chambered = capacity 13 (Kel-Tec P1136LE KEL Mag P-11 9mm 12RD) and the standard 10 round mag that came with it as spare
Honestly I never carry it since I got my Glock 26 ... not a bad "first gun" at all; mine has always been reliable, I bought it used off a Policeman who carried it off duty for about $175

Parkerized $238-275 new Hard Chrome is good too
http://www.google.com/search?q=kel+tec+ ... p%3A1&aq=f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Later you can move up to a Glock or XD if you can't find a good used price now (Used is good with those because they never wear out after a bazzillion rounds, they just get easier to rack the slide and you only need to clean them in years that end with zero, and if you forget once, you can clean it the next time a year ending in zero comes around :mrgreen: )
Glock also allows "options" later you can change sights, adjust trigger pull and change to smooth trigger, change barrels basically anything you can imagine is aftermarket ... With original Glock magazines and Pearce PG39 baseplates my Glock 26 can use 9mm Glock mags with capacity of 10,11,12,13,15,16,17,18,19,20, 33 (I usually carry it with 20+1 and a spare 20 round mag, but sometimes with just a 15+1 configuration using a Glock 19 mag and spacer.) Glock 26 size is about the same as the Keltec P11

I'd rather see people get more capacity in a reliable 9mm ... I know revolvers are good and reliable, I just have my own personal issues with revolver capacity (buddy of mine, Officer Jeff Ginn of Pasadena Police Dept killed while reloading ... Adrenaline hand shakes don't "only" affect aim, but how well you can work your 5 or 6 round speedloaders or half-round clips or whatever you use) Also, spare mags are easier to carry than revolver speedloaders for me. That's just me ...

To be fair:
After Jeff got killed while reloading a revolver, I bought Glocks for my buddies on the Dept and My best friend used his twice on duty and didn't run out of gas either time, however I personally was in a hardware store being robbed by 5 men armed with 2 shotguns and 3 pistols and the problem I see is that criminals don't RSVP ahead of time alerting me how many friends they are bringing, plus the "adrenaline shakes" Jeff had (6 to ten feet away from each other and both the criminal and Jeff fired 6 shots, no one was hit, they both were moving/dodge and weaving the other's shots while firing). while Jeff was behind a tree trying to reload with shaking hands, the other guy ran into his garage, grabbed a carbine and shot Jeff in the head.. Shortly after, ...see above "I bought Glocks for my buddies on the Dept"

I know revolvers are great ,,, but that's just the "issues" I have. It's my own "issues" YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary.)

The Keltec P-11 is smaller and lighter weight than a revolver, 11 or 13 rounds instead of 5 or 6. Like I said, I have issues, but I'm not seeking counseling over my preference of a 9mm over a revolver, IV have both, but the revolver stays home where I have others I can grab instead of reloading.

I hope this doesn't start a 12 page "revolver versus auto" debate .... it's just me, and I said what I needed to say back in the 1980s, and again now.
I'm no lawyer

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

lots of good advice here, your best bet is probably to find a local range that allows you to rent handguns and try out as many as possible to see what you feel comfortable shooting. i didn't get into handguns while i was in Lubbock during my college years so i don't have any specific recommendations, sounds like RPB has you covered there though. Taurus handguns are generally priced cheaper than other models and as far as reliability, you'll get mixed opinions but i've heard plenty good things about them.

good luck and Image

The Mad Moderate

Post by The Mad Moderate »

I have a Ruger P95 and would highly recommend it, its price is excellent (can be found for under $350 new under $300 used. It eats every kind of ammo I feed it and the takedown is really easy.
American by birth Texan by the grace of God

Not to be a republican at twenty is proof of want of heart; to be one at thirty is proof of want of head.
-Francois Guisot

Topic author
TTU Bass Angler

Thanks everybody. Great info! :thumbs2:

thr_wedge

Post by thr_wedge »

I am an unabashed Kool-aid drinker and would have to recommend a Glock 19.
NRA member
TSRA member

rbrecount

Post by rbrecount »

I think that 9mm is the better caliber. KelTec makes good cheap guns. My personal favorite was a Sigma S&W9VE, then a Taurus pt-111, then a - - - you get the idea. Like they are saying, try as many as you can, choose what you can afford. The forums are here to help.
Good luck. I'm glad you're in school.
Ancient Airman
USN,WW II,Korea
Taurus pt 111
Taurus 24/7 PRO D/S
S&W 642-2 snubbie

Topic author
TTU Bass Angler

Thanks for all of the help everyone. :txflag: I ended up getting a Taurus PT111. I really like it.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

TTU Bass Angler wrote: I ended up getting a Taurus PT111.
that was my first carry weapon
Bought a Crossbreed MiniTuck holster (IWB) and love the holster, the gun shoots well.
I still use the holster, but for my Springfield XD9
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

TTU Bass Angler wrote:Thanks for all of the help everyone. :txflag: I ended up getting a Taurus PT111. I really like it.
Good choice. I like the way those fit my hand when I picked one up. :thumbs2:
I'm no lawyer

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

...Ruger's P95...preferably in decocker...around $350 used gives you a hicap, ultrareliable compact pistol...

L4WILSON

Post by L4WILSON »

I would not get a S&W sigma. They are known to have problems with the ejector. When I called and talked to the warranty dept they knew the problem and are trying to fix my sigma. If I had it to do over I would have waited and saved more money to buy a better gun.

Return to “New to CHL?”