Experience at the state capitol building.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Experience at the state capitol building.

Post by mamabearCali »

This may be a silly question, but I will ask it anyway! My DH and I are visiting TX in April (we live in VA) is the state capitol CHL line just for Texas state residents or are the reciprocal states covered as well.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

mamabearCali wrote:This may be a silly question, but I will ask it anyway! My DH and I are visiting TX in April (we live in VA) is the state capitol CHL line just for Texas state residents or are the reciprocal states covered as well.
Not a silly question at all. I don't believe they will allow you to carry on a non-Texas CHL as they have no method to validate if it has been revoked.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I found a post on this Subject: Metal Detectors in the Capitol that confirms my understanding.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

dave_in_austin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dave_in_austin »

Keith B wrote:
mamabearCali wrote:This may be a silly question, but I will ask it anyway! My DH and I are visiting TX in April (we live in VA) is the state capitol CHL line just for Texas state residents or are the reciprocal states covered as well.
Not a silly question at all. I don't believe they will allow you to carry on a non-Texas CHL as they have no method to validate if it has been revoked.

This does not seem right. If an out-of-state CHL is valid in Texas, it should have the same validity throughout the state as a Texas CHL does. Why does the capitol building have special treatment? I do not recall anything in the law that allows this. It seems that they are taking a "guilty until proven innocent" approach here. What if the same attitude were applied for other licenses? Could you be ticketed for unlicensed driving because a police officer who stopped you for seeding could not immediately verity that your out-of-state drivers license had not been revoked?

mamabearCali
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mamabearCali »

If that is true it is sad, because I am making very few exception on the "no CCW (what it is called here in VA) no business" I think right now they only exception my DH and I have decided on is Sea World because we want our children to see the animals so bad. Thanks for the quick answer though--I really do appreciate it.
SAHM to four precious children. Wife to a loving husband.

"The women of this country learned long ago those without swords can still die upon them!" Eowyn in LOTR Two Towers

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

When I read it I'll probably :banghead: , but what is DH?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:When I read it I'll probably :banghead: , but what is DH?
It's the male equivalent to SWMBO. :lol:
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

DH = Darling Hubby (Husband), Dear Hubby, Deaf Hubby, or in my case usually Dumb Hubby :lol:
Keith

mshil
Posts in topic: 4

Post by mshil »

Reciprocal state CHL's are accepted at the state capitol just as anywhere else in the state.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mshil wrote:Reciprocal state CHL's are accepted at the state capitol just as anywhere else in the state.
We have different info on that. Can you state your source that they will take a non-resident CHL?

mshil

Post by mshil »

Sure. My source is the House Sergeant at Arms.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

mshil wrote:Sure. My source is the House Sergeant at Arms.
Good info. How do they verify the out of state license is valid and not revoked? Texas CHL's get scanned to ensure they are still valid dont' they?
Keith

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

Yep ... matches my experiences exactly. I stop in the capitol from time to time to use the bathroom as I ride my bike in the downtown area. The troopers are great but they really need to ditch that computer (that has never worked) for ID purposes.
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

mshil

Post by mshil »

Keith B wrote:
mshil wrote:Sure. My source is the House Sergeant at Arms.
Good info. How do they verify the out of state license is valid and not revoked? Texas CHL's get scanned to ensure they are still valid dont' they?
That's a really good question. At the next opportunity I'll ask and report back.

dk523

Post by dk523 »

Just wanted to update this thread with my experience visiting the Texas State Capitol today with my wife and children. I took my kids (1 yr & 3 yr) in a stroller through the north entrance, which I believe is the only entrance with a ramp (for the stroller). I used the employee/CHL entrance, which is clearly marked. My wife (who has a CHL but doesn't carry ... yet) went through the metal detector. The trooper swiped my CHL, briefly typed something into the laptop, and then handed it back and said "Have a nice day!" He didn't ask me if I was armed or anything else like that. (I was carrying my Glock 23 in a Supertuck.) He didn't search my kids, stroller, backpack, or diaper bag. It took all of 20 seconds maybe. Funny thing was - we were with some of my wife's friends, who I really didn't care to announce to that I carry, and they never even noticed that I went through the CHL entrance because the troopers let all the strollers and little kids go through that entrance (unchecked) while the parents went through the metal detectors. I guess none of our friends noticed I was the only adult going through with the kids - haha. About an hour later, after we left the building, I re-entered by myself through the south entrance because I wanted to visit my senator's and representative's offices (Sen. Watson, Rep. Strama - both Dems - booo!). The line was long for the metal detectors, and it was hard to get around everyone to get to the CHL entrance. Once I did, it was even faster than the first time. The trooper swiped my CHL, glanced briefly at his screen without typing anything, checked my face with the picture on my CHL, and handed it back with a smile and a "Have a nice day!". Overall the visit was a pretty positive experience.

PS - If you're going to visit the Capitol, there's free (for the first 2 hrs) garage parking for visitors at 1201 San Jacinto (I used the entrance on 13th street just east of San Jacinto). From there it's a short walk due west to the Capitol's east entrance.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”