January 2011 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

nyj
Posts in topic: 11

Re: January 2011 Applications

Post by nyj »

XinTX wrote:Mailed mine the 24th as well. They received it the 26th. But still shows 'waiting on materials'.
:mad5 :mad5

ss1088
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ss1088 »

Apparently it takes over a week for mail to go from Austin to Houston. Although, I would not be surprised if the post office lost the license. It wouldn't be the first time my mail has not been delivered.

rmr1923
Posts in topic: 38

Post by rmr1923 »

i haven't posted in this thread in a while, here's my current status:

12/31/10 - took class, online application completed
1/3/11 - mailed materials to DPS
1/6/11 - received by DPS
today - everything green except background check... nothing's changed in the past 3 weeks since the fingerprint status went green.

i did have several previous addresses (moved a lot in college) and one prior juvenile arrest (class B misdemeanor in january 2000), but i didn't expect it to take this long to at least hear SOMETHING from the DPS. they were responding to emails at first and told me that if they needed court records they'd mail me a letter, but so far nothing's come in the mail and they won't respond to email or phone inquiries with anything other than "we're still running your background check". :totap:

i have found that as more time has passed, i haven't been nearly as anxious about how quickly i'll get my CHL as i was in the first couple weeks after taking the course. the past month has been pretty busy at work and i got a promotion yesterday, so i've at least had a few things to distract my attention away from waiting for the DPS.

Rebel
Posts in topic: 16

Post by Rebel »

rmr1923 wrote:i haven't posted in this thread in a while, here's my current status:

1/6/11 - received by DPS
today - everything green except background check... nothing's changed in the past 3 weeks since the fingerprint status went green.

i did have several previous addresses (moved a lot in college) and one prior juvenile arrest (class B misdemeanor in january 2000), but i didn't expect it to take this long to at least hear SOMETHING from the DPS. they were responding to emails at first and told me that if they needed court records they'd mail me a letter, but so far nothing's come in the mail and they won't respond to email or phone inquiries with anything other than "we're still running your background check". :totap:

i have found that as more time has passed, i haven't been nearly as anxious about how quickly i'll get my CHL as i was in the first couple weeks after taking the course. the past month has been pretty busy at work and i got a promotion yesterday, so i've at least had a few things to distract my attention away from waiting for the DPS.
You're about 9 days behind me and we're both in the same boat. I had a few Class C misdemeanors way back in 90-93, and sent in the corresponding paperwork(well actually paperwork that showed I had no records on file), but I called and actually waited about 25 minutes till I talked to someone who told me 60 days is the norm, but there have been a few fast issues.

If you read previous months 45-60 days is the norm, but for some reason some of the December and a lot of the January applications seem to have blazed through for some reason.

scoobman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by scoobman »

XinTX wrote:Mailed mine the 24th as well. They received it the 26th. But still shows 'waiting on materials'.
Ditto for me too, but still no status. :grumble

warhorse10_9
Posts in topic: 9

Post by warhorse10_9 »

Rebel wrote:
rmr1923 wrote:i haven't posted in this thread in a while, here's my current status:

1/6/11 - received by DPS

You're about 9 days behind me and we're both in the same boat. I had a few Class C misdemeanors way back in 90-93, and sent in the corresponding paperwork(well actually paperwork that showed I had no records on file), but I called and actually waited about 25 minutes till I talked to someone who told me 60 days is the norm, but there have been a few fast issues.

If you read previous months 45-60 days is the norm, but for some reason some of the December and a lot of the January applications seem to have blazed through for some reason.

I called too. I think a 25 min wait must be a test for them cause thats how long I waited. They told me the same thing, "Wait 60 days we are running your background check". At this point I think they are about as updated as the online system and have no clue where the hold up is. I wish they had someone able to tell us what part of the BGC they were working on, at least we would know.
"I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."
- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

warhorse10_9 wrote: I called too. I think a 25 min wait must be a test for them cause thats how long I waited.

same here last time i called, fortunately i was at home so i just put my phone on speaker and set it down next to me while killing some time in Zombie Mode on Black Ops :cool:

"I see a world full of beauty and grace... but you beasts aren't helping!"
warhorse10_9 wrote: I wish they had someone able to tell us what part of the BGC they were working on, at least we would know.
that would require critical thinking... and many (not all) government agencies have a severe lack of critical thinkers. uh oh, i just spoke poorly of our government, i guess they'll come kicking down my door any minute to haul me off to the gulag. :leaving

GAM

Post by GAM »

I can now state my status has changed so I can list as dates:
Background Check : Completed Feb. 9
Concealed Handgun License : Manufacturing Pending
So the DPS is still perking along quite fast in processing new licenses and I can look forward to seeing a picture of my ugly mug in the mail pretty soon. :hurry:
GAM wrote:Howdy All,
I just found this nice forum and signed up. It looks like there is a treasure trove's worth of information to read here. What follows is the time line for my CHL application submission so far:
Online application submitted to DPS (My instructor had us do this ahead of time): Jan. 17
Class completed: Jan. 22
All forms to DPS in Austin (It was part of the class fee for the instructor to drop them off): Jan. 24
As of Jan. 31, the only non-green item is Background check: Under review

It is all is going quite swiftly for a government licensing operation.

Cheers from Dripping Springs,
GAM

bcarsport
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bcarsport »

GAM wrote:I can now state my status has changed so I can list as dates:
Background Check : Completed Feb. 9
So the DPS is still perking along quite fast in processing new licenses and I can look forward to seeing a picture of my ugly mug in the mail pretty soon. :hurry:
GAM wrote:Howdy All,
I just found this nice forum and signed up. It looks like there is a treasure trove's worth of information to read here. What follows is the time line for my CHL application submission so far:
Online application submitted to DPS (My instructor had us do this ahead of time): Jan. 17
Class completed: Jan. 22
All forms to DPS in Austin (It was part of the class fee for the instructor to drop them off): Jan. 24
As of Jan. 31, the only non-green item is Background check: Under review

It is all is going quite swiftly for a government licensing operation.

Cheers from Dripping Springs,
GAM
Mine was delivered the 24th, and I'm still under review for fingerprints and background. Hopefully I'm not too far behind you. I was hoping it would come in the mail this week, but I guess a few more days wait won't hurt. I should have done this years ago anyway...

nyj
Posts in topic: 11

Post by nyj »

holy crap that is fast, GAM! I can't believe your online status came on so fast. I sent mine from Austin to Austin last Monday (1st) and am still waiting to see something.

kcsen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by kcsen »

I'm very impressed! The government is very efficient and productive! Looking to receive my plastic next week!!!

1/14 -- Applied Online
1/15 -- Mailed package with First Class
1/26 -- Status first showed on DPS
1/26 -- Application : Received
1/26 -- Affidavits : Received
1/26 -- DL or ID : Valid
1/26 -- Photo : Received
1/26 -- Proof of Classroom training : Received
1/26 -- Proof of Proficiency training : Received
1/26 -- Fee : Received
1/31 -- Fingerprints : Complete
2/1 -- Citizenship : Received
2/1 -- Passport photo holder : Received
2/9 -- Background Check : Completed

jmoney
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmoney »

they received my stuff on the 7th of january...still nothing, just sitting there on the background check

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

kcsen wrote:I'm very impressed! The government is very efficient and productive!
:headscratch

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Complete
Affidavits : Received
DL or ID : Valid
Citizenship : No documentation required
Passport photo holder : Not required for renewal
Photo : Not required for renewal
Proof of Classroom training : Not required based on special condition
Proof of Proficiency training : Not required based on special condition
Proof of Special Condition : Received
Fee : Received
Background Check : Completed
Concealed Handgun License : Mailed

My renewal took a hair over two weeks to get to "mailed" after I finally got around to doing it.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

GAM

Post by GAM »

And if you think that was quick, status is now moved to: Manufacturing (Feb. 10, 2011). Maybe our fearless forum leader will want to add a new CHL arrival time of 0-30 days to his processing time survey. I guess it is well past time to get that new holster broken in!
Cheers,
GAM

nyj wrote:holy crap that is fast, GAM! I can't believe your online status came on so fast. I sent mine from Austin to Austin last Monday (1st) and am still waiting to see something.

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”