Open Carry argument

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
galvestonredneck
Posts in topic: 2

Open Carry argument

Post by galvestonredneck »

I found this on Free Republic this morning. I thought it was well thought out.

[url][http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-car ... t.html/url]

Open carry is not a option in most places for the average citizen. I live in a State where it is (South Dakota). In almost two years I have not noticed anyone (other than Law Enforcement) open carrying. I will say I am glad I can if I want to.

The author points are well taken. I do believe he failed to address one thing; People who will avoid you because you are open carrying. He talks about normal citizens reactions but what he doesn’t address is the people that refuse to do business with you because you make a spectacle of yourself by open carrying a firearm.

There are situations I would open carry (in a emergency situation or the aftermath of a emergency situation. Think Hurricane…).

I do know it is my right to open carry, I have many rights that I cherish and protect that I don’t necessarily use.
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Open Carry argument

Post by sjfcontrol »

galvestonredneck wrote:I found this on Free Republic this morning. I thought it was well thought out.

[url][http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-car ... t.html/url]

Open carry is not a option in most places for the average citizen. I live in a State where it is (South Dakota). In almost two years I have not noticed anyone (other than Law Enforcement) open carrying. I will say I am glad I can if I want to.

The author points are well taken. I do believe he failed to address one thing; People who will avoid you because you are open carrying. He talks about normal citizens reactions but what he doesn’t address is the people that refuse to do business with you because you make a spectacle of yourself by open carrying a firearm.

There are situations I would open carry (in a emergency situation or the aftermath of a emergency situation. Think Hurricane…).

I do know it is my right to open carry, I have many rights that I cherish and protect that I don’t necessarily use.
Umm, how many hurricanes do you get in South Dakota? :smilelol5:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

galvestonredneck wrote:I found this on Free Republic this morning. I thought it was well thought out.

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/open-car ... ument.html
Fixed the link for you.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Topic author
galvestonredneck

Post by galvestonredneck »

"Umm, how many hurricanes do you get in South Dakota?"

We have had several this year, White huricane's--LOL

galveston redneck

One COLD Texan
Galveston Redneck
One COLD Texan

Weg

Post by Weg »

I used to be a vehement open carry advocate, until I read an article by someone who pointed out that if open carry was allowed in Texas it would probably drastically increase the number of businesses posting 30.06, thus preventing any carry at all in many more places. I still think open carry should be legal just from a constitutional standpoint, but I also think property owners should be able to prevent people from carrying at their establishment if they want to. This puts me in a box, not really sure where to fall now, definitely not a vehement open carry advocate anymore, more like lukewarm.

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

I lived in an open carry state (North Carolina) before I moved to Texas. I can't speak for the entire state but, in my daily life in and around Raleigh, I saw very few signs banning handguns. Not zero but roughly as rare as seeing 30.06 signs in and around Houston.

Are people in North Carolina more gun friendly than Texans? I haven't noticed a huge difference, but I only moved to Texas 3 years ago, so I can't disprove the theory of a hidden undercurrent of antigun sentiment in Texas that would make your fears a reality.

jordanmills
Banned

Post by jordanmills »

Weg wrote:I used to be a vehement open carry advocate, until I read an article by someone who pointed out that if open carry was allowed in Texas it would probably drastically increase the number of businesses posting 30.06, thus preventing any carry at all in many more places. I still think open carry should be legal just from a constitutional standpoint, but I also think property owners should be able to prevent people from carrying at their establishment if they want to. This puts me in a box, not really sure where to fall now, definitely not a vehement open carry advocate anymore, more like lukewarm.
Yeah they said that in 1995 too. There was some hype, then it died down. Now I have to go out looking for one if I want to see a 30-06.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

cbr600 wrote:I lived in an open carry state (North Carolina) before I moved to Texas. I can't speak for the entire state but, in my daily life in and around Raleigh, I saw very few signs banning handguns. Not zero but roughly as rare as seeing 30.06 signs in and around Houston.

Are people in North Carolina more gun friendly than Texans? I haven't noticed a huge difference, but I only moved to Texas 3 years ago, so I can't disprove the theory of a hidden undercurrent of antigun sentiment in Texas that would make your fears a reality.
The fear of this happening here in Texas is, I think, only because it has been unlawful for so long. I think for most of the other states that allow OC it has been that way all the time or for a very long time and even though not very many people OC it is not that shocking because in many of the areas where they OC it is not that big a deal anyway. Therefore, I think the only reason it would be a big deal and draw a lot of attention is because it would go from being illegal one day to being legal the next and people will notice unlike CC where people don't notice anything but a slight wardrobe change if they notice at all.

I really don't think it will happen this year or even within the next 4-6 years if it happens at all here in Texas. We'll wait and see what happens in Florida if they pass it and then try to make it better here if we can get it at all.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

From the article:
My primary goal when I’m out and about, besides whatever I went out and about to do, is to go about peaceably and not be the victim of a violent crime. To that end I carry a firearm whenever I go out as well as follow all the other standard safety practices like maintaining situational awareness, staying out of high crime areas, and avoiding confrontation. I also have a larger overall goal of making it through my life without shooting anyone. Simply put, I don’t want to be responsible, legally or morally, for another’s death. Those two goals might appear at first blush to be mutually exclusive, and with concealed carry it would be a difficult set of goals to realize.
I fail to see why Concealed Carry would make it more difficult than Open Carry to realize the two goals of 1) not being a victim, and 2) not shooting anyone.

I'll finish reading the article, but that first paragraph immediately got my attention because it asserts something which is impossible to prove as the predicate to making his argument in favor of OC. BTW, I'm not against OC as long as it is intelligently handled, but there are better predicates for it than the above... ...like the right to keep and bear arms without infringement.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I lived in CO for 3 years where there was OC, a friend OC'd frequently. We frequented a Wendy's where there were alot of OC'ers.....didn't realize it at first, I thought they were LEO's for months :shock: I'd never realized OC was legal anywhere....

honestly, there weren't any more legal 'no carry' signs than there are here.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

If it ever becomes legal here in Texas the only reason I would OC would be in the summer for the comfort.

I am in Kansas a couple times a year to visit family, but I haven't OC'ed there yet. I'm there once in the summer and again around Christmas. I don't spend much time away from my parents' place since we're there to see them. We spend our time just hanging out and fishing in the pond.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

pcgizzmo

Post by pcgizzmo »

I don't know if you call it open carry or now but I think it would just be nice to be able to conceal but not have to worry so much about if you printed or someone happened to see your weapon when you bent over or stretched.

mgood

Post by mgood »

pcgizzmo wrote: . . . it would just be nice to be able to conceal but not have to worry so much about if you printed or someone happened to see your weapon when you bent over or stretched.
You shouldn't have to worry too much about that now. Unless you have intentionally failed to conceal, you have broken no law if someone spots your pistol when you accidentally fail to conceal. It may make some people nervous. It may even result in the police being called by someone who doesn't know that it's not illegal. I think if the cop has any sense he'll just tell you to keep that thing covered up and have a nice day.

Yeah, I wish open carry were legal here. I probably wouldn't do it much. But say it's cool in the morning and I expect to wear a jacket all day. I may carry OWB, under my jacket. Then it unexpectedly warms up to the point where the jacket is uncomfortable. My choices are to sweat it out under the jacket or go some place and remove the pistol. If open carry were legal, I could just take off the jacket when it became uncomfortable without worrying about breaking the law or going home to change clothes and/or holsters and/or guns.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

pcgizzmo wrote: . . . it would just be nice to be able to conceal but not have to worry so much about if you printed or someone happened to see your weapon when you bent over or stretched.
You shouldn't have to worry too much about that now. Unless you have intentionally failed to conceal, you have broken no law if someone spots your pistol when you accidentally fail to conceal. [/quote]
Intentional
is tricky because intent is a thought. How is someone going to prove that you did not purposely flashed your gun in a faked "accidental" failure to conceal. You may beat the rap, but not the ride. Oh, and it'll cost you over $5000 to just simply retain a lawyer to defend you.

mgood

Post by mgood »

drjoker wrote:
Intentional
is tricky because intent is a thought. How is someone going to prove that you did not purposely flashed your gun in a faked "accidental" failure to conceal. You may beat the rap, but not the ride. Oh, and it'll cost you over $5000 to just simply retain a lawyer to defend you.
I don't disagree with that.
But I think a lot would depend on the police officer(s), the police department, and whoever turned you in (and maybe a little on your attitude).
I like to think I'm innocent until proven guilty :patriot: and it's going to be difficult for them to prove my intent. Although I realize that may be a bit idealistic (overly optimistic).

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”