Stephenville PD Traffic Stop

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 5

Stephenville PD Traffic Stop

Post by KD5NRH »

I swung a bit wide on a turn last night near the time that some of the party crowds were wandering around, and got to see the local mobile Christmas light show.

Right hand on the wheel, left holding DL/CHL where the officer could see them, and interior lights on. He took the ID, asked for insurance, ran the plates, and told me to watch the corners. No questions about the CHL, and when he came back from checking the DL, (in the meantime, the plates and VIN came up "no record in database," which translates to "database is broken for the nine hundredth time today, but the state is too arrogant to admit that") he matched the VIN with the one on the insurance card and sent me on my way.

Sure enough, as I was pulling out, the dispatcher called him back to let him know that the third time she ran the plates they got a good return.

Two things to take away from this; scanners are nice to have, and I definitely agree with those who say LE should use a 10 code for CHL, rather than telling everybody else with a scanner that I carry.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Stephenville PD Traffic Stop

Post by gigag04 »

KD5NRH wrote:scanners are nice to have
I have never even thought of this. How interesting to listen on your stop.

I may have to do some gadget shopping.

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

How big is Stephenville now? Population wise.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

txinvestigator wrote:How big is Stephenville now? Population wise.
A bit over 15,000 permanent residents, not counting the students, and AFAIK, not counting a couple of newly annexed areas.

Commander
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Commander »

KD5NRH wrote:, (in the meantime, the plates and VIN came up "no record in database," which translates to "database is broken for the nine hundredth time today, but the state is too arrogant to admit that") he matched the VIN with the one on the insurance card and sent me on my way.

Sure enough, as I was pulling out, the dispatcher called him back to let him know that the third time she ran the plates they got a good return.

Two things to take away from this; scanners are nice to have, and I definitely agree with those who say LE should use a 10 code for CHL, rather than telling everybody else with a scanner that I carry.
Since the Dispatcher got a return on the third try, its more likely than not that she had an error in her first two inquiries. Depending on her or the officers level of experience, lesser experienced officers often misread the letter "D" for an "O" or the number "0" for the letter "Q" or "I" for "1". Texas does not use O(cean) or I(da) as a license plate character to prevent such confusion. Personalized plates? Look closer at those with what looks like an "I" its really a "1", and the "O' is really a "0".

Running by the 17 digit VIN is difficult as well, unless the dispatcher has experience in recognizing a good VIN number. VINassist from NICB helps correctly identify which character should be what for a particular vehicle.
"Happiness is a warm gun" - The Beatles - 1969

Commander

Pickpocket

Post by Pickpocket »

KD5NRH wrote: Two things to take away from this; scanners are nice to have, and I definitely agree with those who say LE should use a 10 code for CHL, rather than telling everybody else with a scanner that I carry.
Count on the probability that anyone who bothers to use a scanner is going to know the 10-codes anyhow.
Glad your experience was positive.
Not all who own musical instruments are musicians.

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

S&W6946 wrote:Since the Dispatcher got a return on the third try, its more likely than not that she had an error in her first two inquiries.
She read it back correctly, and I was following along on the insurance card when she read the VIN back. No odd characters in that plate, (wife's car) and they've had the same problem with my ham plates in the past. (and I was listening to that check; they got the 5 right on the first try.)
Personalized plates? Look closer at those with what looks like an "I" its really a "1", and the "O' is really a "0".
W0OOG's ham plates would beg to differ, (the Os are distinctly wider and rounder than the 0 on the plate) though I'd hate to be a cop trying to run his tag...or another operator trying to copy his call in Morse, for that matter. There's no 1 to compare to on K5IIY's plate, but the Is don't look like any license plate 1s I've ever seen.

Of course, ham plates are an odd bird anyway, since the same one can be assigned to multiple cars as well. That's a great way to make a traffic stop last a while until they get it sorted out, since IIRC, the still don't have a way to handle that in the computer. It would be nice if the state would send some documentation along with the plates that could be handed to the officer.
Running by the 17 digit VIN is difficult as well, unless the dispatcher has experience in recognizing a good VIN number.
Working security, I spend a lot of time listening to the scanner, and I've always been impressed with how fast our local dispatchers can copy a VIN, and catch an officer's error in reading it off.

Commander

Post by Commander »

Well, how about that...taught an ol' dog a new trick. Guess I've been in the supervisor's chair too long. Yes, sure enough the Ham plate does return Os and 0s. Have to modify what I said to exclude the Ham plates. The standard Texas LP does not use Os or Is.

Commander

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

S&W6946 wrote:Well, how about that...taught an ol' dog a new trick. Guess I've been in the supervisor's chair too long. Yes, sure enough the Ham plate does return Os and 0s. Have to modify what I said to exclude the Ham plates. The standard Texas LP does not use Os or Is.
Now look at what you have to go through to get a proper return on the second vehicle of a multiple-issue ham plate. (IIRC, the form allows up to four vehicles with the same plate.)

Best I can recall, the other vehicles will still return on their previous tags, but the ham plate will show somewhere in the details that there are other vehicles besides the one listed.

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

S&W6946 wrote: Since the Dispatcher got a return on the third try, its more likely than not that she had an error in her first two inquiries. Depending on her or the officers level of experience, lesser experienced officers often misread the letter "D" for an "O" or the number "0" for the letter "Q" or "I" for "1". Texas does not use O(cean) or I(da) as a license plate character to prevent such confusion. Personalized plates? Look closer at those with what looks like an "I" its really a "1", and the "O' is really a "0".

Running by the 17 digit VIN is difficult as well, unless the dispatcher has experience in recognizing a good VIN number. VINassist from NICB helps correctly identify which character should be what for a particular vehicle.
If you'll notice at a "normal" tag, not a vanity tag, Texas does not have any vowels, No A's, E's, I's, O's and no U's.
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Bubba

Post by Bubba »

I was also in Stephenville Saturday, but didn't get stopped and don't have HAM plates on my truck, but this got me to thinking. A family of radio operators or maybe just the ol man with call plates on more than one vehicle and he is following his wife somewhere in separate vehicles and they do something questionable and the local LEO makes a double stop. :)

LEO: Hey, how come both these cars have the same LP ?
HAM: Well because ..................................................
LEO: Yeah right !

I can just picture it ! LOL

Bubba
KA5AMU

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

You always have something good to say. Dont stay gone so long next time. ;-)
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Commander

Post by Commander »

No law against it in Texas that I know of. It is illegal in some states, however, just as radar detectors are (in other states but not Texas - except (I think I'm correct on this) truck drivers)

If you're thinking about buying a scanner, you should get one that receives digital broadcasts - a lot of agencies either have or will be converting in the next few years from an analog signal (voice) to digital (voice is converted to data and transmitted). Digital scanners are much more expensive than the older analog scanners that you can buy for $100-$200.

Commander

Topic author
KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

S&W6946 wrote:No law against it in Texas that I know of. It is illegal in some states, however, just as radar detectors are (in other states but not Texas - except (I think I'm correct on this) truck drivers)
Commercial vehicles in general, under Federal law. For private vehicles, there are a few problem states, but AFAIK, none of them are even close to here. In all cases, ham operators are exempt if the receiver i part of their mobile station gear, though I wouldn't push this one too far.
If you're thinking about buying a scanner, you should get one that receives digital broadcasts - a lot of agencies either have or will be converting in the next few years from an analog signal (voice) to digital
Y'know, I've worn out three analog scanners since people started saying that. Small town agencies aren't in any hurry to waste the money, and bigger agencies don't do anything quickly.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”