January 2011 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

mt_goodrich
Posts in topic: 5

Re: January 2011 Applications

Post by mt_goodrich »

I am stuck at home because of the ice and snow and nothing else to do except try to come up with a reason why I haven't gotten my CHL and other have. Just not fair...just not fair, I tell you!!! :biggrinjester:

In all seriousness....only thing waiting on it Background check. What all is involved with background check? Run a criminal history and check local county for anything?

GAM
Posts in topic: 9

Post by GAM »

I heartily agree! I would like to know the process for the background check as it is actually conducted. I am not (just) being impatient, but due to the same traits that made me a scientist, I am generally curious about how pretty much everything works. If this is discussed in another thread, please let me know. I would guess offhand that the time difference is likely due to variable response times of the county LE rather than FBI, unless the applicant is an odd duck. For example, I am in Hays county. Are there statistics on background check times broken down by county anywhere? Anyone care to clue the clueless in on the details of that part of the process?
In all seriousness....only thing waiting on it Background check. What all is involved with background check? Run a criminal history and check local county for anything?

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 17

Post by sugar land dave »

Online Application - 1/9/11
Fingerprints FAST L1 - 1/12/11
CHL Class - 1/13/11
Mailed - 1/14/11
DPS Received - 1/18/11
Online Status - 1/27/11
Background Chk - 2/3/11
Manufacturing pending 2 - 4
Manufacturing 2 - 5
Mailed 2-8
  • Application : Received
    Fingerprints : Complete
    Affidavits : Received
    DL or ID : Valid
    Citizenship : No documentation required
    Passport photo holder : Received
    Photo : Received
    Proof of Classroom training : Received
    Proof of Proficiency training : Received
    Fee : Received
    Background Check : Complete
    Concealed Handgun License : Mailed

:patriot: :txflag:
Last edited by sugar land dave on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

nyj
Posts in topic: 11

Post by nyj »

awesome! congrats

pcgizzmo
Posts in topic: 11

Post by pcgizzmo »

GAM wrote:I heartily agree! I would like to know the process for the background check as it is actually conducted. I am not (just) being impatient, but due to the same traits that made me a scientist, I am generally curious about how pretty much everything works. If this is discussed in another thread, please let me know. I would guess offhand that the time difference is likely due to variable response times of the county LE rather than FBI, unless the applicant is an odd duck. For example, I am in Hays county. Are there statistics on background check times broken down by county anywhere? Anyone care to clue the clueless in on the details of that part of the process?

My guess is it's strictly FBI wait related. DPS has the ability to search anything in Texas. When they pull you over they do it. Also NCIC which is National. I"m not sure what all is involved with the FBI check but it must be more detailed than either a national or local check.

FilmMkr
Posts in topic: 10

Post by FilmMkr »

I own a business that does contract work with NASA. I've had two full-up, no-kidding FBI background checks, and each of my employees have also been scrutinized. The checks for CHL are basic records searches, and seem to take hardly any time at all. They can do it in sixty seconds, as its all computerized.

If the Feebs really do an in-depth check - as is the case with me, my company, and employees - it takes months.

As in four to six.

They send letters to your employer, your friends, your neighbors - even the ones who don't like you - and make random, in-person visits if there is any suspicious or occasionally unlawful activity in your backgound. If you are selected for a personal interview, you get the full FBI treatment. Suits, badges, unexpected out-of-the-blue visit, long silences with blank expressions so that you will nervously fill the empty places with inane chatter, the whole nine yards.

Talk about pins and needles.

Waiting 60 days for a carry license? Its the blink of an eye!

sugar land dave

mt_goodrich wrote:What all is involved with background check? Run a criminal history and check local county for anything?
As someone somewhat close to an agency of government, I can give a reasonable answer.

They have your fingerprints, so they can check against databases of known offenders and unsolved crimes. They will use your other information to verify identity and check for records with the FBI, State, County, and City. Anything that pops up or that you included in your application will need to be fully documented with paperwork including dispositions. All of these things will take time, so the more things involved, the more time required.

For the amount of money involved in the application, the DPS will likely not run down paperwork; they will most probably send you a letter requesting clarification if they have a question. Long story short, if you have been a bad guy in the past, how long ago, what, why, where. If you've only been a little bit bad (as defined by chl qualifications) and that was a long time ago, you will probably still be ok. And don't forget to pay your taxes, child support (if any), and student loans! :thumbs2:
Last edited by sugar land dave on Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life Member

GAM
Posts in topic: 9

Post by GAM »

I was looking into joining an Austin area rifle range and they mandate a self-run Computerized Criminal History check as part of the process. Basically you go to the TX DPS site, sign up for an account and run your own information through to see what, if anything, pops up, then include the printout in your application packet. I don't know if this is only what DPS uses for CHL screening, but if you have any background, you might give it a go if you want to see how it is being reported. Note, it costs a few $$ to run. It seem unlikely, but I don't know if a search in of itself is recorded as information as it is for credit check data. Alas, my own background is so devoid of any malfeasance that I won't even bother checking. ;-) I just hope that as I am a small business government contractor I don't fall in some odd duck category for the FBI part, though NICS approved me tout suite last firearm purchase. Happy waiting all!
sugar land dave wrote:
mt_goodrich wrote:What all is involved with background check? Run a criminal history and check local county for anything?
As someone somewhat close to an agency of government, I can give a reasonable answer.

They have your fingerprints, so they can check against databases of known offenders and unsolved crimes. They will use your other information to verify identity and check for records with the FBI, State, County, and City. Anything that pops up or that you included in your application will need to be fully documented with paperwork including dispositions. All of these things will take time, so the more things involved, the more time required.

For the amount of money involved in the application, the DPS will likely not run down paperwork; they will most probably send you a letter requesting clarification if they have a question. Long story short, if you have been a bad guy in the past, how long ago, what, why, where. If you've only been a little bit bad (as defined by chl qualifications) and that was a long time ago, you will probably still be ok. And don't forget to pay your taxes and student loans! :thumbs2:

jcarp02
Posts in topic: 27

Post by jcarp02 »

FilmMkr wrote:I own a business that does contract work with NASA. I've had two full-up, no-kidding FBI background checks, and each of my employees have also been scrutinized. The checks for CHL are basic records searches, and seem to take hardly any time at all. They can do it in sixty seconds, as its all computerized.

If the Feebs really do an in-depth check - as is the case with me, my company, and employees - it takes months.

As in four to six.

They send letters to your employer, your friends, your neighbors - even the ones who don't like you - and make random, in-person visits if there is any suspicious or occasionally unlawful activity in your backgound. If you are selected for a personal interview, you get the full FBI treatment. Suits, badges, unexpected out-of-the-blue visit, long silences with blank expressions so that you will nervously fill the empty places with inane chatter, the whole nine yards.

What kind of company do you have? I work for an industrial supply company and NASA and their subcontractors are part of my territory.

sugar land dave

jcarp02 wrote:
FilmMkr wrote:I own a business that does contract work with NASA. I've had two full-up, no-kidding FBI background checks, and each of my employees have also been scrutinized. The checks for CHL are basic records searches, and seem to take hardly any time at all. They can do it in sixty seconds, as its all computerized.

As in four to six.

What kind of company do you have? I work for an industrial supply company and NASA and their subcontractors are part of my territory.
er... Doesn't his user-name suggest that he is in video, cameras, & production? :confused5
NRA Life Member

AustinCHL81
Posts in topic: 1

Post by AustinCHL81 »

Did online app on 1/11/11
Class on 1/13/11 -- We did fingerprints and all other paperwork during the class
CHL in hand on 2/5/11

I am in Austin, and our instructor turned in all of our paperwork for us, so I am sure it's a little quicker for me.
DPS showed status of "mailed" on Jan 29th, however, the postage was marked (meter mail) on Feb 2nd and I actually received it on Feb 3rd (San Antonio). So...not sure what the "real" status is when they mark it "mailed".
The website was showing "mailed" for a few days, but like you, I had a 2/4 postmark and got it in today.

FilmMkr
Posts in topic: 10

Post by FilmMkr »

jcarp02 wrote:What kind of company do you have? I work for an industrial supply company and NASA and their subcontractors are part of my territory.
High definition film production for NASA, Discovery, PBS, etc. We also produce feature length documentaries, concerts and live events.

sugar land dave

Getting closer to the mailbox. Soon. :hurry:

Online Application - 1/9/11
Fingerprints FAST L1 - 1/12/11
CHL Class - 1/13/11
Mailed - 1/14/11
DPS Received - 1/18/11
Online Status - 1/27/11
Background Chk - 2/3/11
Manufacturing pending 2 - 4
Manufacturing 2 - 5
Mailed 2-8
  • Application : Received
    Fingerprints : Complete
    Background Check : Complete
    Concealed Handgun License : Mailed

:patriot: :txflag:
NRA Life Member

rhino8005
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rhino8005 »

I saw several comments regarding updates of the online system. Below is my timeline

Mailed whit paper prints (non L1) on 1/24/11 from Dallas. Just this morning my online status changed from "waiting on material" to

Application : Received
Fingerprints : Under review
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

Hope this help others understand the timing of things.

XinTX
Posts in topic: 23

Post by XinTX »

Mailed mine the 24th as well. They received it the 26th. But still shows 'waiting on materials'.
“Public safety is always the first cry of the tyrant.” - Lord Gladstone

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”