http://www.texasbeverages.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

____
/ 6 \

Topic author
GrayGhost
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Concealed Carry....... badge

Post by GrayGhost »

I’m certainly no lawyer either. But it seems that if you displayed a badge that said, “Police Officer,” or “Sheriff’s Deputy” you maybe asking for trouble, but “Concealed Weapons Permit” certainly is not impersonating an officer of the law. Even if the badge were not merely “flashed” but actually allowed for inspection, I think the employee having seen a badge may have given it more credence.
You know, for that matter, if he had shown his actually concealed carry permit, that may have been enough to at least hear what Eric had to say after that. What if Eric motions the employee over for a closer look and shows him his permit? I assume Nevada has a photo on theirs as we do. Unless the employee knows the official policy of his company is to not allow concealed carry, the employee may be satisfied. I assume some would.
Now, am I taking the chance? Nope, call me out and I’m done. I may be back to speak to the manager personally, but that would be another visit.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Abraham »

I love this subject!

It's an opportunity to point out that CHLers AREN'T afforded a quasi-official pass (the one that IS afforded to actual law enforcement) if things are dicey by flashing anything, be it a preposterous badge, sash, or tiara.

Possessing a CHL isn't a first cousin to being law enforcement and there are no exceptions, though I know it deflates the hopes to be so as desperately desired by a few...

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Abraham wrote:I love this subject!

It's an opportunity to point out that CHLers AREN'T afforded a quasi-official pass (the one that IS afforded to actual law enforcement) if things are dicey by flashing anything, be it a preposterous badge, sash, or tiara.

Possessing a CHL isn't a first cousin to being law enforcement and there are no exceptions, though I know it deflates the hopes to be so as desperately desired by a few...
DRAT! Just when I was gonna' suggest that CHL's have one of those little remote attachable flasher lights for our car tops; you come along and bash the CHL badge idea. The CHL's flashers would be green so as not to be confused with the law, mail carrier or a school bus.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

What a wonderful (not to mention hilarious) idea.

May I also suggest a siren, buy not one to compete with real sirens, but one maybe akin to those used by circus clowns!

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Since we're discussing CHL's, why do so many refer to them as "Permits"?

CHL is short for: Concealed Handgun LICENSE - not permit...

mgood
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mgood »

Abraham wrote:Since we're discussing CHL's, why do so many refer to them as "Permits"?

Some states have "permits" and some have "licenses." I think "hangun permit" or "gun permit" was the popular term in movies and TV across America long before we got our Concealed Handgun Licences here in Texas. So the general population, outside the CHL crowd, tend to call them permits. (It sometimes annoys me too, or at least makes me wonder how much the person knows about Texas CHL.)

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

mgood wrote:
Abraham wrote:Since we're discussing CHL's, why do so many refer to them as "Permits"?

Some states have "permits" and some have "licenses." I think "hangun permit" or "gun permit" was the popular term in movies and TV across America long before we got our Concealed Handgun Licences here in Texas. So the general population, outside the CHL crowd, tend to call them permits. (It sometimes annoys me too, or at least makes me wonder how much the person knows about Texas CHL.)
I agree with your explanation. I have found that saying "CHL" is foreign to most people who don't have one, but it usually doesn't annoy me. After all, a CHL permits one to carry concealed.

In addition to my CHL, I do have a permit - a Concealed Firearms Permit issued by the State of Utah.
NRA Endowment Member

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

WildBill wrote:
mgood wrote:

I agree with your explanation. I have found that saying "CHL" is foreign to most people who don't have one, but it usually doesn't annoy me. After all, a CHL permits one to carry concealed.

In addition to my CHL, I do have a permit - a Concealed Firearms Permit issued by the State of Utah.
That's well and good, but do you have a badge?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Oldgringo wrote:
WildBill wrote:
mgood wrote:

That's well and good, but do you have a badge?
I am still waiting for Texas DPS and Utah BCI to mail them to me.
NRA Endowment Member

ZeeMan

Post by ZeeMan »

Sorry, just some clarification here as some seem to get perturbed about the whole license/permit wording

Permit
–noun
an authoritative or official certificate of permission; license: a fishing permit.
a written order granting special permission to do something.
permission.

License
–noun
formal permission from a governmental or other constituted authority to do something, as to carry on some business or profession.
a certificate, tag, plate, etc., giving proof of such permission; official permit: a driver's license.
permission to do or not to do something.
intentional deviation from rule, convention, or fact, as for the sake of literary or artistic effect: poetic license.
exceptional freedom allowed in a special situation.
excessive or undue freedom or liberty.
licentiousness.
the legal right to use a patent owned by another.

I guess this is why many use the terms interdependently..............they are synonyms of one another................both are just like your drivers license(permit), they afford you a special permission, in this case to drive, in the case of chl, cwp, to carry a concealed firearm or weapon

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

And if you really want to get confused about permits or licenses, look at the Alcoholic Beverage Code. There is no such thing as a liquor license in Texas. You can get a license for beer but it is a permit for liquor. And I have no idea why there is a difference, but they do stand by it.
Steve Rothstein

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

The license is the initial file and the permit is an enhancement of thy license - I think that is how it was explained to me when I was with Pappas group.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost »

Probably my fault the term "permit" was started on this thread. I used "permit" as this is what I have seen on the pictures of badges on this website, "Concealed Weapons Permit." While we Texans are issued licenses, I don't really know what they are called in Nevada.
As far as being special, I feel CHLees are special. We take full advantage of our constitutional rights and responsibilities. There are some who go through life and don't vote, try to avoid jury duty, don't know what their representative's views are, and many times don't even watch the evening news. As CHLees, we participate in the American experience. I think we are closer, in thought, to our founding fathers than the average citizen. No worry if we are not treated "special," neither were they. We just try to make sure that as citizens, we stand head and shoulders above the citizens of most of the world. You know, we are special. :patriot:

thr_wedge

Post by thr_wedge »

What if Erik Scott hadn't been high on prescription drugs? How does a CHL badge fix that?
NRA member
TSRA member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”