January 2011 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

Rebel
Posts in topic: 16

Re: January 2011 Applications

Post by Rebel »

loadedliberal wrote:
Shouldn't you start at February thread then"?
i was torn between the two figured i go with the earlier date
I would go by mail in date, as that is when the process actually begins.

rmr1923
Posts in topic: 38

Post by rmr1923 »

background review still pending for me... :waiting:
Wednesday will be 1 month from the date i mailed my packet

pcgizzmo
Posts in topic: 11

Post by pcgizzmo »

rmr1923 wrote:background review still pending for me... :waiting:

Do you have any issues that you know of? Are you Ex-Military? Any arrests? Have you moved a lot? Just curious.

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

pcgizzmo wrote:

Do you have any issues that you know of? Are you Ex-Military? Any arrests? Have you moved a lot? Just curious.
2 of the above actually... one prior arrest for possession of MJ when i was 16 (11 years ago), received deferred adjudication, served 6 months probation and the charges were dismissed and expunged from my record. i talked with a family friend who works with juvenile records for the county courthouse and she said that in general (from her experience dealing with the DPS on a regular basis), juvenile records don't hold much weight when it comes to background checks for CHL unless it was a violent crime or there were multiple offenses, but it is also more difficult to get the records because they're "sealed" and require a court order to be released.

i've also moved.. A LOT.. in the past 5 years (never out of state, all in Texas). i was told that moving frequently doesn't really affect the background check though, not sure if that's true Image

brandrum
Posts in topic: 3

Post by brandrum »

I wonder if DPS can track how many times someone checks their status? :lol:

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

brandrum wrote:I wonder if DPS can track how many times someone checks their status? :lol:
i've heard of people locking themselves out before from logging in too frequently

maybe their systems would run a bit faster and process our applications quicker if we didn't log in to check our status so much. should we start a support group? it sounds pathetic, but i just can't stop myself from logging in at least twice a day.

kcsen
Posts in topic: 7

Post by kcsen »

Hahaha... The process is MOVING!!! :drool:

1/14 - Applied Online
1/15 - Mailed package with First Class
1/26 - Status first showed on DPS
1/31 - Fingerprints : Completed
2/1 - Citizenship : Received
2/1 - Passport photo holder : Received
Only things that are Pending ---
Background Check : Under review
Concealed Handgun License : Print pending completion of application review

pcgizzmo
Posts in topic: 11

Post by pcgizzmo »

rmr1923 wrote:
pcgizzmo wrote:

2 of the above actually... one prior arrest for possession of MJ when i was 16 (11 years ago), received deferred adjudication, served 6 months probation and the charges were dismissed and expunged from my record. i talked with a family friend who works with juvenile records for the county courthouse and she said that in general (from her experience dealing with the DPS on a regular basis), juvenile records don't hold much weight when it comes to background checks for CHL unless it was a violent crime or there were multiple offenses, but it is also more difficult to get the records because they're "sealed" and require a court order to be released.

i've also moved.. A LOT.. in the past 5 years (never out of state, all in Texas). i was told that moving frequently doesn't really affect the background check though, not sure if that's true Image

My understanding and I could be wrong on this is that if it shows up or you disclose it then they are obligated to contact the local county to verify the offense and disposition. I tried to do this before I sent my info but could only get one thing. I've been arrested twice for little things. Ticket and $25 hot check. The check was 20 years ago and the ticket was 10 years ago. I sent the info and outcome on the ticket but the little town I wrote the check in laughed at me and told me they didn't keep records that long.

That might be what is taking so long w/yours. That being said I have also read that if you are over the 60 day's they have to issue or deny you. You could call your local state representative.

These are thing's I've just heard so take them a grain of salt.

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

pcgizzmo wrote: ...I have also read that if you are over the 60 day's they have to issue or deny you.
my CHL instructor told us the same thing, so i guess at the very latest i should expect something by early March

bcarsport
Posts in topic: 5

Post by bcarsport »

I lurked, but the suspense grew so bad that I had to tell people that understood what I was going through.

Created online app: 1/20/11
CHL class: 1/21/11
Certified Delivery in ATX: 1/24/11

Status still "application processed online, awaiting delivery of required materials."

I'd be happy now if they'd just open the darn envelope and reflect that on their site.

In anticipation of my license arriving I wandered into a gun show this weekend and left with a little less cash in my pocket...Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II. Last night my Supertuck was ordered, and today I am shopping for belts while I sit inside hiding from all the ice that gave me the last 2 days off. :coolgleamA:

Background check should be seamless, other than my moves during college. My hands are really dry though, so my fingerprints weren't stellar. Hopefully they go through fine. (I wish they would check all the other fingerprinting databases, or use past FBI fingerprint checks. I have done so for the TX State Bar and for TX Insurance licensing).

BowhunterMac
Posts in topic: 7

Post by BowhunterMac »

Things are moving along:

1/12-online app
1/14-FAST prints
1/14-mailed to DPS
1/15-received
1/27-first sign of anything online
1/27- all materials marked "received"; background under review
2/2--background complete; manufacturing pending

Hopefully will have it soon!

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

BowhunterMac wrote:Things are moving along:

1/12-online app
1/14-FAST prints
1/14-mailed to DPS
1/15-received

seems like the home stretch is the worst part. seems like they take forever to print your plastic and get it to your mailbox. then again i'm not speaking from experience, they're still digging skeletons out of my closet before completing the background check.

does anyone know for a fact if moving frequently will affect the length of time it takes to complete the background check? i moved a lot in college so i had several past addresses on my application, and provided the month and year for each residence as well as i could remember them.

heyeng
Posts in topic: 8

Post by heyeng »

rmr1923 wrote:

1/12-online app
1/14-FAST prints
1/14-mailed to DPS
1/15-received

seems like the home stretch is the worst part. seems like they take forever to print your plastic and get it to your mailbox. then again i'm not speaking from experience, they're still digging skeletons out of my closet before completing the background check.
I'm going to agree with you. Mine showed 'manufacture pending' on Friday and 'mailed' on Saturday and it's now Wednesday with not plastic in hand. I am pretty sure mail doesn't take 3 days to get to San Antonio from Austin...so I am not convinced that the 'mailed' status is actually congruent with it being mailed. I kinda wish it didn't say that...it makes the waiting just about unbearable. I know...unsubstantiated whining since it's just a renewal...but it still is bugging me!

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 17

Post by sugar land dave »

1/12-online app
1/14-FAST prints
1/14-mailed to DPS
1/15-received

Well, I am officially jealous. :drool:

I fear the weather will stop activity in Austin for a few days. Across the nation, government function has been severely hampered.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

sugar land dave wrote: I fear the weather will stop activity in Austin for a few days. Across the nation, government function has been severely hampered.
you mean we've had an ongoing winter storm for the past 2 years??

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”