Boo Yah

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Mancunian
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Mancunian »

Thanks for all the well wishes guys. I will be carrying a .40 calliber H&K sub compact. I haven't even thought where I will go with it. I do however have to buy another gun for mamma to keep at the house while I'm gone with mine. Right now I still leave it at home for her.

Which reminds me. What would be a good gun to have for her? I used to have a Smith & Wesson revolver 357 a few years ago. I took my wife to the range with it and she didn't like it because of the kick with the magnum rounds. I put some .38 special rounds in it and she liked it. She doesn't exactly like guns, but she's just going to have to get used to having one around the house. I thought about a shotgun?

Ideas please....thanks.
CHL Timeline....

CHL Class Sept 9th
Mailed Pkg Sept 30th
Received PIN Nov 7th
Received CHL Nov 30th

Cosmo 9
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Cosmo 9 »

My Wife is warming up to the idea of a 20ga pump w/surefire for her side of the bed.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Tote 9

Post by Tote 9 »

Congrat. we need all the help we can get.

IcheeWaWa

Post by IcheeWaWa »

My wife will be carrying a Glock 27 (hopefully by Dec 18). We have a G23, G27 and a Colt Mustang .380 here. I really like the little .380 This model is kinda hard to come by, but it sure fells good in the hands and works well at the range. I don't think I'd go any lower than a .380 for self defense purposes.

She REALLY wants an XD45. I'm thinking my next carry piece will be a G30. I rented one at the range recently and was pleasantly surprised!

quidni

Post by quidni »

Mancunian wrote:Which reminds me. What would be a good gun to have for her? I used to have a Smith & Wesson revolver 357 a few years ago. I took my wife to the range with it and she didn't like it because of the kick with the magnum rounds. I put some .38 special rounds in it and she liked it. She doesn't exactly like guns, but she's just going to have to get used to having one around the house. I thought about a shotgun?
The "best gun" for her is one that she helps pick out. She'll be more likely to want to learn more about it, and practice with it, if it fits her properly. She'll also have some of herself invested in the decision, which will make it more "her" gun instead of just "his gun that she has to use" in an emergency.

If there's a chance for her to "try out" a few at a range before buying, even better.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

MrDrummy

Post by MrDrummy »

Funny! I hit Subway first after I got my plastic in the mail! Ha! Glad we've got another person out there who is taking the immediate defense of himself and his family into his own hands.

My wife keeps a Sig 229 in .40 next to the bed, and she's a little ol' thing. I love knowing that while I'm away from home, my wife is handling a pistol that has been 100% reliable, and that she likes shooting.

I'm still trying to talk her into that 12 gauge that we "need" for home defense (and bird hunting, and skeet shooting, and....)

IcheeWaWa

Post by IcheeWaWa »

Get one of these shotties:

GlockenHammer

Post by GlockenHammer »

IcheeWaWa wrote:Get one of these shotties:

Where'd you get this video of ElGato?

Diode

Post by Diode »

quidni wrote:
Mancunian wrote:Which reminds me. What would be a good gun to have for her? I used to have a Smith & Wesson revolver 357 a few years ago. I took my wife to the range with it and she didn't like it because of the kick with the magnum rounds. I put some .38 special rounds in it and she liked it. She doesn't exactly like guns, but she's just going to have to get used to having one around the house. I thought about a shotgun?
The "best gun" for her is one that she helps pick out. She'll be more likely to want to learn more about it, and practice with it, if it fits her properly. She'll also have some of herself invested in the decision, which will make it more "her" gun instead of just "his gun that she has to use" in an emergency.

If there's a chance for her to "try out" a few at a range before buying, even better.
:iagree:

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

casselthief wrote:Oh, well, in that case, I already had some ammo, so I got mine, went home, then did the SubWay walk :lol:
One can NEVER have too much ammo.

IcheeWaWa

Post by IcheeWaWa »

GlockenHammer wrote:

Ran across it one day looking for the Beretta 90 Two

http://www.beretta90two.com

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

GlockenHammer wrote:

Naw, it's not El Gato. El Gato is taller, faster, more accurate, and he shoots one in each hand... ;-)

FWIW, I consider a shotgun mandatory for home defense. If I hear a breaking window at 3:00 a.m., I'm reachin' for the "gague," not a handgun. And if you don't want to fork out the $1,200 a Beretta Xtrema2 would set you back (the shortest barrel length they come in is 24", too), you can slap a Knoxx stock on a basic Mossy or Remington and get almost as much recoil reduction.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
Mancunian

Post by Mancunian »

Well, the first place I carried was walking my dogs around the neighbourhood. Nothing exciting, but that was my initiation.
CHL Timeline....

CHL Class Sept 9th
Mailed Pkg Sept 30th
Received PIN Nov 7th
Received CHL Nov 30th

casselthief
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by casselthief »

dws1117 wrote:
casselthief wrote:Oh, well, in that case, I already had some ammo, so I got mine, went home, then did the SubWay walk :lol:
One can NEVER have too much ammo.
that's why I bought a 20rd mag for my 90two
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun..."

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”