IWB Magazine Holsters

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Dave2
Posts in topic: 8

Re: IWB Magazine Holsters

Post by Dave2 »

C-dub wrote:I do have some new ones that I cannot carry IWB with, but those are mainly for work where I can't carry anyway.
I solved that problem by wearing my (empty) holster at work. I haven't been doing it for long, probably only about a month, but so far so good.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Pawpaw »

I have a Crossbreed IWB mag holder (older style?) that I bought from jtran987 viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36901&p=437429&hil ... ag#p437429

Like him, I only wore it once. It wasn't uncomfortable, just not my cup of tea.

If anyone would like to buy it, just send me a PM.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cbunt1 »

Pawpaw wrote:I have a Crossbreed IWB mag holder (older style?) that I bought from jtran987 viewtopic.php?f=19&t=36901&p=437429&hil ... ag#p437429

Like him, I only wore it once. It wasn't uncomfortable, just not my cup of tea.

If anyone would like to buy it, just send me a PM.
Tell me a little bit more about it. I've been really interested in the concept, but after my experience with the Galco gut hook, I've shied away from spending any serious money going down that path again...

Specifically, I'm wondering if the design and angles of their unit does an adequate job of keeping the corners of the mags out of your side...

I've also considered having one of the custom houses do one up to my specs...but at some point you violate the "holster:gear ratio" LOL At the same time, a reliable and discrete way to carry spare mags has been my biggest challenge and least "static" in daily carry...
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

cbunt1 wrote:Tell me a little bit more about it. I've been really interested in the concept, but after my experience with the Galco gut hook, I've shied away from spending any serious money going down that path again...

Specifically, I'm wondering if the design and angles of their unit does an adequate job of keeping the corners of the mags out of your side...

I've also considered having one of the custom houses do one up to my specs...but at some point you violate the "holster:gear ratio" LOL At the same time, a reliable and discrete way to carry spare mags has been my biggest challenge and least "static" in daily carry...
Did you look at the picture in the thread I linked? That's all there is to it. The rough side of the leather goes against your body and did not poke, pinch, or otherwise irritate me no matter which way I moved.

I'm sure my problem with it is that years ago my "waistline" turned into a "wasteline". :oops: My #1 method of magazine carry is two in the hip pocket of my jeans. I also have a nylon clip-on 2-mag holder and a leather slide 2-mag holder. I just don't see any need, personally, to "deep conceal" my spare mags.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Springbike
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Springbike »

I am beginning to look at holsters like my wife looks at shoes... One type just won't do it for me. The holster i use depends on the close i am wearing. As of now, I have an IWB that I wear at the 3oclock position and a sleve that i can wear IWB or OWB in SOB, 3oclock or 4. I also find leather to be the most comfortable as they mold to my body well. As for kydex, i stayed away from those due to the potential of scraping the frame and creating exsessive wear.

phrogg

Post by phrogg »

Well it happens that I have a friend that works in product development at Comp-Tac. I actually got him aside this weekend and told him that I was looking for an IWB mag holder. They do have one that they carry, but i want something in Leather/Kydex or all in ultra-thin kydex. I showed him my Fist Inc Ultra Thin kydex holster that I'm using right now for my Kahr and explained how I really like the way that one works except that it needs a little piece to come up and be a sweat shield on the gun (or in the case of last week when the gun was in the car all day at 30deg and then I put it in the holster and wondered just how much air I could suck in that fast! COLD!).

We eventually got around to working out a design that gives you a combo between the gun and mag holster. Making a small 1911 single stack style kydex full kydex holster and then attach that to the front of your fully kydex gun holster with a leather piece. Then you have one holster that wraps around you and carries the magazine just in front of the gun. I know some folks might like to carry the ammo on the weak side but I feel comfortable grabbing the magazine cross draw.

Anyway, there might be something interesting show up in the next few month from that conversation ;-)

BTW: while we were working with the magazines we found out that Dicion's 1911 and my Kahr CW45 magazines were interchangeable. The only difference we can find between the two is the grip extender (or not) on the end. Might be useful info for someone. I think I'll buy a couple high capacity 1911 magazines to use out at the range sometime instead of having to reload so often!

Phrogg
----
Welcome to Texas. If you ain't packin, you are slackin!

rmr1923

Post by rmr1923 »

phrogg wrote:Well it happens that I have a friend that works in product development at Comp-Tac. I actually got him aside this weekend and told him that I was looking for an IWB mag holder. They do have one that they carry, but i want something in Leather/Kydex or all in ultra-thin kydex. I showed him my Fist Inc Ultra Thin kydex holster that I'm using right now for my Kahr and explained how I really like the way that one works except that it needs a little piece to come up and be a sweat shield on the gun (or in the case of last week when the gun was in the car all day at 30deg and then I put it in the holster and wondered just how much air I could suck in that fast! COLD!).

We eventually got around to working out a design that gives you a combo between the gun and mag holster. Making a small 1911 single stack style kydex full kydex holster and then attach that to the front of your fully kydex gun holster with a leather piece. Then you have one holster that wraps around you and carries the magazine just in front of the gun. I know some folks might like to carry the ammo on the weak side but I feel comfortable grabbing the magazine cross draw.

Anyway, there might be something interesting show up in the next few month from that conversation ;-)

BTW: while we were working with the magazines we found out that Dicion's 1911 and my Kahr CW45 magazines were interchangeable. The only difference we can find between the two is the grip extender (or not) on the end. Might be useful info for someone. I think I'll buy a couple high capacity 1911 magazines to use out at the range sometime instead of having to reload so often!

Phrogg
i like the sound of that, if you hear any "product development" news from your friend, and he doesn't mind you sharing, would you keep us posted? i'm probably going to end up getting a Comp Tac IWB holster for my Smith & Wesson M&P 40c, it would be nice to be able to attach a mag holster to it.

rdunk

Post by rdunk »

FWIW - this link does not have leather/kydex combo mag holder like you are wishing for, but for anyone who might need a kydex mag holder, I have seen large numbers of satisfied customers for this guy's mags. It is a link to the Glock talk site, but that is where his sales site is. Might be worth a look for some of you. I haven't bought spare mag holders yet, but when I do, this is probably where I will go!

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthr ... &t=1267097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck in finding what you need!!
The mind of man plans his way,
But the LORD directs his steps - Proverbs 16:9

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I stumbled across this thread again, so I thought I'd post what I ended up getting.

It is a custom IWB tuckable 1911 mag pouch made for me by Dan at Zlogonje Gunleathers. It is very comfortable, does a great job, and the workmanship is first rate.

-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

cbunt1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cbunt1 »

I'm glad you did! I had forgotten this thread. That looks like JUST the thing I have been looking for. Think I'll have to see about ordering one!

Thank you for the follow-up!
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

Jumping Frog wrote:Zlogonje Gunleathers.
Stopped by that site. I am really impressed with the work he does. I am cash poor at the moment, but I know where I am going to visit once I have a little moolah!

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Return to “New to CHL?”