Dog shooter of the week

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

fasteddie
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Dog shooter of the week

Post by fasteddie »

Had one in Abilene a few days ago. Guy shot 3 pits with a AK-47.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/d ... er=popular

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

fasteddie wrote:Had one in Abilene a few days ago. Guy shot 3 pits with a AK-47.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2010/d ... er=popular
should be no-billed, from the few details it seems reasonable to eliminate the threat. I hold off further comments.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

fasteddie

Post by fasteddie »

I would have probably done the same thing if I was him. As to all those who made comments in the article about how there were no marks on the kids, I personally wouldn't have let it get to that point.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

fasteddie wrote:I would have probably done the same thing if I was him. As to all those who made comments in the article about how there were no marks on the kids, I personally wouldn't have let it get to that point.
Considering normal reaction time from being asleep and no marks on the kids. This possibly may have been an overreaction based on the breed of the dogs. From here it is not possible to make an informed decision.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

markthenewf
Posts in topic: 4

Post by markthenewf »

Good riddance pit bull(s).

Had one attack my wife and pooch while she was out walking this afternoon. Both she and the dog are ok, but I now have a substantial vet bill and the knowledge that I've got a nasty pit bull on the corner. Perfect.

After every incident, there's always some excuse or rationale as to why "Fluffy the Pit" tore into something/someone. This is all getting very tiresome, don't you all agree? :waiting:
Cheers!

Mark

ExMarlboroMan
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ExMarlboroMan »

markthenewf wrote:Good riddance pit bull(s).

Had one attack my wife and pooch while she was out walking this afternoon. Both she and the dog are ok, but I now have a substantial vet bill and the knowledge that I've got a nasty pit bull on the corner. Perfect.

After every incident, there's always some excuse or rationale as to why "Fluffy the Pit" tore into something/someone. This is all getting very tiresome, don't you all agree? :waiting:
So how exactly was she and the "pooch" attacked?
NRA Member
"Don't retreat, just reload!"- Sarah Palin
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same...

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Under the circumstances you outlined, the vet bill should belong to the dogs' owner and will most likely be paid by his homeowners' insurance policy if you present him with it.

Your animal control officer should also be asked to investigate and check the vaccination record of the attacker to make sure it had its shots, or to quarantine it for the required period of time.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Report it to the police. The owners should pay and the dog must be evaluated.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

ExMarlboroMan wrote:So how exactly was she and the "pooch" attacked?
:headscratch I really don't understand what the purpose or intent of your question. I'm not entirely sure how to describe the method of attack since I wasn't there. I'm taking the word of my wife and her walking buddy on it. However, It's a dog, so I'm guessing it ran up to them and did what attacking dogs do. I assume you've seen dogs fight before, otherwise I can't really describe it to you. It actually did it 3 times, the first two on the street and the last time was at the doorstep (had everyone cornered). Each time it attacked, backed-off, then came at them again as they tried to get from the end of our street to the house.

The dog owner apparently only adopted their dog from the a rescue 'farm' a short time ago and she feels absolutely terrible. It even appears that she's going to pay the vet bill for my dog and send the bad dog back. We shall just have to wait and see if she's for real or just buying time. She did start to give me a "misunderstood breed" speech. I shut that down pretty quickly.

Fortunately everyone is fine, and my dog (nice border-collie mix) has a few scuffs, 1 or 2 small punctures, and a couple of small lacerations. None of this requires stitches. Because no human was bitten (only scuffs and bruises), it's not a criminal matter. According to the cop, my dog is only considered property under the law therefore any damages to her would be considered a civil issue.
Cheers!

Mark

ExMarlboroMan

Post by ExMarlboroMan »

markthenewf wrote:
ExMarlboroMan wrote:So how exactly was she and the "pooch" attacked?
:headscratch I really don't understand what the purpose or intent of your question. I'm not entirely sure how to describe the method of attack since I wasn't there. I'm taking the word of my wife and her walking buddy on it. However, It's a dog, so I'm guessing it ran up to them and did what attacking dogs do. I assume you've seen dogs fight before, otherwise I can't really describe it to you. It actually did it 3 times, the first two on the street and the last time was at the doorstep (had everyone cornered). Each time it attacked, backed-off, then came at them again as they tried to get from the end of our street to the house.

The dog owner apparently only adopted their dog from the a rescue 'farm' a short time ago and she feels absolutely terrible. It even appears that she's going to pay the vet bill for my dog and send the bad dog back. We shall just have to wait and see if she's for real or just buying time. She did start to give me a "misunderstood breed" speech. I shut that down pretty quickly.

Fortunately everyone is fine, and my dog (nice border-collie mix) has a few scuffs, 1 or 2 small punctures, and a couple of small lacerations. None of this requires stitches. Because no human was bitten (only scuffs and bruises), it's not a criminal matter. According to the cop, my dog is only considered property under the law therefore any damages to her would be considered a civil issue.
The purpose is to understand the situation. After reading your response, it sounds like your dog was attacked, not your wife thankfully. Dogs that are dog aggressive is not uncommon, it isn't breed specific.
NRA Member
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same...

sar05

Post by sar05 »

markthenewf wrote:Fortunately everyone is fine, and my dog (nice border-collie mix) has a few scuffs, 1 or 2 small punctures, and a couple of small lacerations. None of this requires stitches. Because no human was bitten (only scuffs and bruises), it's not a criminal matter.

You will have to excuse me as I am a huge advocate for the Pit Bull and a Professional Dog Trainer for about 8 years now. Anytime I see something like this I have to give my input.

It sounds like this pit bull is dog aggressive and went after your dog NOT your wife. We all know how strong the Pit Bull dog is (Media has done a good job of advertising it for us) so the fact that your wife and her running partner were not bitten ANY of the times this dog "attacked" tells me the dog is really interested in getting to your BC mix. Also, the fact that your dog only had a few minor cuts and punctures tells me the Pit Bull didn’t really go into "attack" mode because if he/she really had your dog could have been nearly killed.

Having said that, I think it's very important for people to understand the difference between dog aggression and human aggression. They are NOT the same thing and just because a dog is DA it does not mean he/she is HA. I also think it's very important for my sake and my dogs (and the hundreds of other families of loving, loyal Pit Bulls) that when you - or anyone else - tell "horror stories" of attack dogs the whole story is told and not just the good, juicy details. Had you left it as your original post it would have seemed worse than it did when you started describing more of the details.

I do agree this dog should be PTS, however. Because I am such a huge advocate for the breed I will be the first one to euthanize a Pit Bull who shows ANY aggression to any person - even if that person was walking a dog and the PB was going for the dog accidentally biting the person.

Please don’t think I am attacking you. I just naturally have to get into the whole Pit Bull controversy as the majority of members would do so in a "more gun control debate." I'm glad to hear your wife and your BC mix pup will be fine and I hope the owner of the dog tells the rescue to PTS the pit bull. They were irresponsible to adopt him out in the first place and she should be held liable for allowing her dog to roam free knowing he's had issues in the past.
Gun control means being able to hit your target. If I have a 'hot button' issue, this is definitely it. Don't even think about taking my guns. My rights are not negotiable, and I am totally unwilling to compromise when it comes to the Second Amendment. - Michael Badnarik
www.familydoghouse.com

markthenewf

Post by markthenewf »

Appreciate the input, Michael.Pit Bulls are as polarizing a topic as anything nowadays, but at least you have a reasonable view of problematic animals (no matter what it is). We'll just have to agree to disagree on the breed.
Cheers!

Mark

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 66

Post by seamusTX »

I started this thread to discuss specific incidents in which people shot dogs, either justifiably or subject to criminal prosecution.

I don't imagine the question of whether a specific breed is a furry bundle of joy or the spawn of Satan will be settled any time soon. ;-)

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 66

Post by seamusTX »

In Uniontown, Pennsylvania (rust belt), a woman called 911 when a man climbed through the window of her home. Her 2-year-old pit bull chased the man out the window before police arrived.

When police arrived, they shot the dog to death, reportedly with at least two weapons.

The police department declined comment.

The burglar was not apprehended.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/26560951/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

ExMarlboroMan

Post by ExMarlboroMan »

seamusTX wrote:In Uniontown, Pennsylvania (rust belt), a woman called 911 when a man climbed through the window of her home. Her 2-year-old pit bull chased the man out the window before police arrived.

When police arrived, they shot the dog to death, reportedly with at least two weapons.

The police department declined comment.

The burglar was not apprehended.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/26560951/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Wow. Just wow.
NRA Member

Return to “Off-Topic”