Truck/Car gun thoughts

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Mastodon
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Truck/Car gun thoughts

Post by Mastodon »

G192627 wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:Take those NRA and TSRA stickers off of your vehicle.

Put on an ACLU and Brady bunch sticker. :smilelol5: "rlol"

Anygunanywhere

NRA/TSRA stickers will get your car robbed...

ACLU, Brady Campaign stickers will get YOU robbed.
And, if you have 3 of the 4?..... just keep on driving. Or don't live in the city.
Chartered By The Republic of Texas in 1845

NRA
TSRA

Μολών Λαβέ

tacticool

Post by tacticool »

I think one of these would be effective against a truck or car.

When in doubt
Vote them out!

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

gigag04 wrote:I always purge my truck of weapons at night. I've taken way too many burglary of a vehicle reports to be comfortable otherwise.
:iagree:

I used to carry my 18" barrel shotgun, with shortened STOCK but legal sized, and brought it in when I came in.

I no longer have a "car gun" I just have my Glock 26 with 20 rounds +1, a spare 20 round mag on my belt...and twin 33 round mags under the car seat in a plastic grocery bag which stay there in case the well runs dry after a hurricane or other natural or unnatural disaster and I need them to get home, and to eat any wild critter like a snake or wild hog wanting to damage me.. unless those get banned, in which case I dreamed it.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RPB wrote:I just have my Glock 26 with 20 rounds +1, a spare 20 round mag on my belt...and twin 33 round mags under the car seat
DUDE! :shock:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

C-dub wrote:
RPB wrote:I just have my Glock 26 with 20 rounds +1, a spare 20 round mag on my belt...and twin 33 round mags under the car seat
DUDE! :shock:
Well, never know what might occur during a 36 hour hurricane evacuation away from home or if the disaster actually hits while your in a line of cars and someone, or a group of someones wants your gas/food/life.

It took 36 hours to drive from Houston to Austin during Rita, and gas and water were scarce in spots, and that wasn't a "bad" situation at all, but some people got a bit stressed/road-ragey ... so I can imagine a real disaster like Katrina prior to or during aftermath, trying to get home/evacuate and someone wants your car/life.

107 rounds, may not be enough to get home ... never know ...

(actually just 100... 7 are reserved for snakes in the floodwaters, and maybe critters if I get hungry n see peter cottontail needs roasting... I'll pass out servings to restless natives so they'll be less edgy...and hungry children if I see any so their parents can relax more)
I'm no lawyer

cbr600

Post by cbr600 »

RPB wrote:I just have my Glock 26 with 20 rounds +1
What's the advantage of that setup over a Glock with a longer sight radius, such as a 17? I find a longer slide and barrel doesn't make much of a difference IWB, but an extended magazine makes a noticeable difference in ease of concealment. The big mags make sense for reloads, but carrying a subcompact with a longer mag in place seems to give the disadvantages of a fullsize, without the corresponding advantages.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

cbr600 wrote:
RPB wrote:I just have my Glock 26 with 20 rounds +1
What's the advantage of that setup over a Glock with a longer sight radius, such as a 17? I find a longer slide and barrel doesn't make much of a difference IWB, but an extended magazine makes a noticeable difference in ease of concealment. The big mags make sense for reloads, but carrying a subcompact with a longer mag in place seems to give the disadvantages of a fullsize, without the corresponding advantages.
I SOOOO understand that question , asked myself that before many times over more than 30 years of Glocking, TESTED a LOT, SPENT a LOT... and so lemme explain.

Concealability:
I carry at 3:00, my body type makes the 19 barrel end of a FAT slide go clunk on a wooden church pew.
At 3:00 I can use an almost extreme cant on the holster, and carry 20 round mags more closer to vertically, and that tips the slide angle where barrel points towards my rear. The 26 is easier for me to conceal than a 19, with shorter grip, and longer slide poking out my back pocket area. Now I do use an extended barrel, the length of a Glock 19's, but the shorter fat slide of the 26, and a Glock 17 +3 magazine with a spacer. The extended barrel I use pokes out maybe a tiny spot "sometimes" but not as noticeably as a fat slide. (It's also more comfortable)
The 26 with the shorter slide (which is fat, but shorter) is easier to conceal and more comfortable to carry concealed, (I rise and sit a lot)

Sight radius

I've been shooting and carrying all the Glocks since the 1980s, my Glock 19 was made in 1989, My OLDEST 1st Gen 17s (I got some of the very first batch imported) I sold last year and the 26 is what I shoot best/most accurately. I suspect it may be 1) my presbyopia or 2) my myopia or 3) my astigmatism or 4) it's 3 a.m., I forget the 4the eye issue I have

I've owned almost every model Glock made, including two Glock 17Ls, bought because of their longer sight radius. (one ported, one not ported)

I bought two 17L pistols, first one in the 1980s, second one in the 1990s, because after getting the first, I noticed I was less accurate with the 17L than with my 17s, and then I experimented with thousands of rounds, I'm less accurate with my 17 (I've owned 4) than my 19s (I've owned 4) ...So, I bought a second 17L for another $999.00 because I thought the first was just a bad/inaccurate 17L, because everyone SHOULD be more accurate with a longer sight radius oddly, I'm more accurate with shorter sight radius.
(I've also owned all the early models of the Glock 10mm, .45 and .40)

I had Advantage Tactical sights installed, and an internal laser, extended barrel, got everything sighted in, and am much much more accurate in any light with the 26 I had customized than any other longer sight radius.

I know it defies logic, but I can't argue with myself and win after testing various ones over 30 years. well, if I do argue with myself, I always lose anyway, so I just carry what I shoot best most accurately that's the most concealable and most comfortable. ... I"d hate to ever HAVE to use it and have it be taken away as evidence after spending almost $1,000 on it, but I'd hate to carry something I'm less accurate with that's less comfortable and more trouble to conceal too.

I've owned 1 10mm, and 9 .40s and a .45 by Glock too, I only have 1 hand, it's arthritic, more with weather changes or cold, recoil sensitive now... It's just what works best for me. That may not be true for a majority, and may defy logic, but that's me. I carried the 19, until the 26 arrived, repeated the tests about sight radius ....after many many thousands of rounds, and I'm just better with short, I gave up asking myself why, maybe it's my wrist and Glock's grip angles?...instead of my eye issues, but above is all true..so I just accepted it.

I'm not hickok45, but these short sight radius guns are accurate and I'm not shooting 230 yards like he does, but at 25 yards and less, I'm just better with a 26 than a 17L

Oddly, with Taurus' grip angles, and all 1911s, I'm equally accurate with any of their site radiuses, radii ... whatever plural of radius is and the most accurate with longer barrels, hence, the extended barrel on the 26 :lol:

I still don't know why, eyes issues, hand/wrist-grip angles, I gave up asking.
That's what works for me after many many thousands of dollars testing to see what worked for me.
Your mileage may vary.
I'm no lawyer

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 2

Post by maverick2076 »

Quick question: In order to get that extreme of a cant on your pistol while carrying IWB, what holster are you using?

thr_wedge

Post by thr_wedge »

I like the ID of a folder AK pattern rifle, especially for a single cab truck. Very easy to hide behind the seat and be unseen, cheap enough that it's not a big deal financially if it gets stolen, easy enough to use. My only consideration would be a car alarm.
NRA member
TSRA member

Topic author
RECIT
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RECIT »

thr_wedge wrote:I like the ID of a folder AK pattern rifle, especially for a single cab truck. Very easy to hide behind the seat and be unseen, cheap enough that it's not a big deal financially if it gets stolen, easy enough to use. My only consideration would be a car alarm.
I know I don't pay ANY attention to a car alarm in a parking lot. I MIGHT look that direction, but that is a big maybe.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

thr_wedge

Post by thr_wedge »

RECIT wrote:
thr_wedge wrote:I like the ID of a folder AK pattern rifle, especially for a single cab truck. Very easy to hide behind the seat and be unseen, cheap enough that it's not a big deal financially if it gets stolen, easy enough to use. My only consideration would be a car alarm.
I know I don't pay ANY attention to a car alarm in a parking lot. I MIGHT look that direction, but that is a big maybe.
My thinking for a car alarm was more for personal identification, specifically at home and at night.

I agree, I might look in the direction of a car in a parking lot going off, but I know what my alarm sounds like so when it goes off at night I know something is up.
NRA member
TSRA member

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I don't presently keep a secondary weapon in my vehicle, simply because I've always got one on my hip or in my pocket anyway. But it is something I've given some thought to. The main reason I don't do it is because I do worry about what would happen if my car got stolen. It's not that likely to happen - I live in a low crime area, and I don't go out much anyway - but there is still some statistical probability that it could happen any time I leave the house. This is one of the two reasons why I don't frequent 30.06 posted establishments. I don't want to leave my gun in my car. (The other reason is protest against unreasonable policies which disarm the law-abiding.) The two reasons I am concerned about vehicle theft and/or breakin are A) the financial cost, and B) the idea of arming a felon.

I think that if I lived in the country, I would probably be less concerned with those things, and be more willing to carry a secondary gun in my car - which is a mid-sized SUV. But if I did, I would still bring everything in at night to secure it. Goblins roam the country at night as well as in the city.

As far as my weapon of choice for vehicle use, it would be certainly be a long gun, either my AR carbine, which I am very comfortable with and shoots very accurately, or I might purchase a beater rifle that I wouldn't mind if it got banged up doing vehicle duty... probably a cheap AR carbine, or perhaps an SKS or a beater AK. But I would prefer something in .223/5.56 because A) the purpose of the weapon would be for situations when a rifle caliber is called for, and B) I already stock .223/5.56 ammo and don't want to have to start buying another caliber to feed a single weapon that won't get much use. Another carbine that comes to mind is the Kel-Tec SU-16C, which accepts AR15 magazines, which I already have a lot of, has a gas-block mounted front sight, and has a Picatinny rail on top of the receiver which would permit mounting of a red dot sight of some kind. It is relatively inexpensive, and it wouldn't break my heart if it got a little scruffy looking.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Tallinthesaddle

Post by Tallinthesaddle »

An alarm system, lock box, and parking in a unobstructed space would help. If a burgler wants to steal something, they will try their hardest. They have nothing else to do. If I was going to leave my firearm in my truck 24 hours a day, I would buy something like a used Ruger P89 or P95. It is better to lose a $300 pistol than a $1,200 HK or AR.

doc540

Post by doc540 »

Tallinthesaddle wrote:An alarm system, lock box, and parking in a unobstructed space would help. If a burgler wants to steal something, they will try their hardest. They have nothing else to do. If I was going to leave my firearm in my truck 24 hours a day, I would buy something like a used Ruger P89 or P95. It is better to lose a $300 pistol than a $1,200 HK or AR.
And even better to lose a $175 PA-63. ;-)
http://www.train2shoot.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Instructor
"Shooting more, typing less"

Topic author
RECIT
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RECIT »

My reasoning behind the truck gun is to provide more firepower than your side arm can. That being said I think the idea of the Kel-Tec SU16 is a great idea I had not thought of. It is inexpensive, it folds, it is powerful, and it is accurate enough. Good suggestion, I guess I never though of that as an option b/c I have never been fond of Kel-Tec products but I am warming up to them as time goes by.

As far as the recommendation of the alarm for in front of my house if the truck is broken into...I had not thought of that benefit. Point taken.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”