Went OWB Conceal Carry Today

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Went OWB Conceal Carry Today

Post by Scott in Houston »

I carried OWB for the first time recently too. I just wore a long, untucked shirt (not the hawaiin style or anything like that though... almost more like a sweatshirt, but not thick).

I loved it, but felt so obvious at first. I went to Academy and felt like I was wearing a sign "I AM ARMED". No one noticed of course though.
And, I noticed how often I reach up for things on high shelves or above with my right hand. I had to keep switching to reaching with my left!

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

G192627 wrote:And, I noticed how often I reach up for things on high shelves or above with my right hand. I had to keep switching to reaching with my left!
I always carry OWB usually a 1911 in an Old World Leather pancake. It rides very high and cants it forward. Combined with an Officer framed 1911 it eliminates the shirt lifting problem. The little bit of love handles I have actually makes the grip angle in towards my side to hide even better.

Topic author
LongHairedRedneck
Posts in topic: 3

Post by LongHairedRedneck »

Well I went back IWB to try out my new Galco Ultra Deep Cover that just arrived. It's a nice Holster and it will definately replace my Cozy Partner, think I'm going back OWB tomorrow.
If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

cubbyjg

Post by cubbyjg »

garcia946 wrote:I prefer OWB also carry around the 2-2:30 seems to work out good for me :coolgleamA:
Same here. I wont lie, i decided to try this position when i saw a tv actor potraying an FBI agent and he was carrying in the same location. With a good belt and holster, it will ride high and tight with minimal printing.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

I prefer 3-330, more comfortable for me. Might try SOB but seems inconvenient.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

cubbyjg wrote:
garcia946 wrote:I prefer OWB also carry around the 2-2:30 seems to work out good for me :coolgleamA:
Same here. I wont lie, i decided to try this position when i saw a tv actor potraying an FBI agent and he was carrying in the same location. With a good belt and holster, it will ride high and tight with minimal printing.
That far forward doesn't work for those of us who are gravitationally gifted. I find carrying around 4:00 is best for concealment for me.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

During cool weather when I can wear a flannel shirt, Carhart vest, or light jacket I very often wear a high riding OWB Fist holster at 4:30.

It's no harder to conceal than IWB, and actually provides a bit more "safety margin" because the jacket would have to ride up much higher than with IWB before an identifiable piece of the gun itself becomes exposed.

The matte black kydex material blends very well with jeans or other dark clothing, and has never drawn any attention even when an inch or so of the bottom edge is exposed while getting in or out of a vehicle.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Excaliber wrote:During cool weather when I can wear a flannel shirt, Carhart vest, or light jacket I very often wear a high riding OWB Fist holster at 4:30.

It's no harder to conceal than IWB, and actually provides a bit more "safety margin" because the jacket would have to ride up much higher than with IWB before an identifiable piece of the gun itself becomes exposed.

The matte black kydex material blends very well with jeans or other dark clothing, and has never drawn any attention even when an inch or so of the bottom edge is exposed while getting in or out of a vehicle.
Not a big fan of Kydex, but that is kind of an interesting holster. Couple of questions:

1. It appears the holster has an FBI cant (or nearly so), yes..no?

2. Do you think that holster could be worn on the opposite side to provide cross-draw, or does the shape and construction preclude that?

Thanks,

Flint.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

flintknapper wrote:
Excaliber wrote:During cool weather when I can wear a flannel shirt, Carhart vest, or light jacket I very often wear a high riding OWB Fist holster at 4:30.

Not a big fan of Kydex, but that is kind of an interesting holster. Couple of questions:

2. Do you think that holster could be worn on the opposite side to provide cross-draw, or does the shape and construction preclude that?

Thanks,

Flint.
Flint,

The cant is approximately an "FBI" cant.

My holster is right handed. I tried mounting it on my left side in front of the hip and putting the gun in it. It conceals well in that position, and it can be drawn with the opposite hand, but the cant of the right handed holster is opposite what would be ideal for this position.

I'd suggest contacting the folks at Fist to see if they could make one specifically designed for crossdraw use. They're a custom shop and every holster is made to order, so I wouldn't be surprised if they would accommodate you.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

PappaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PappaGun »

I always carry OWB with a Fobus.

Never had an issue.

Depending on the mood or the pants or the shorts or the weather, mostly the mood, my carry position varies from 2:30 to 5:00.

Sometimes you feel like a nut....
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

Excaliber wrote:
flintknapper wrote:

Thanks,

Flint.
Flint,

The cant is approximately an "FBI" cant.

My holster is right handed. I tried mounting it on my left side in front of the hip and putting the gun in it. It conceals well in that position, and it can be drawn with the opposite hand, but the cant of the right handed holster is opposite what would be ideal for this position.

I'd suggest contacting the folks at Fist to see if they could make one specifically designed for crossdraw use. They're a custom shop and every holster is made to order, so I wouldn't be surprised if they would accommodate you.
Thanks, appreciate it.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I have OWB carried a revolver 5-6 days a week for several years... most recently with a 3" SP101 .357 mag. in a high ride pancake holster made by LoboLeather But, my type of work allows me to ordinarily wear a tee shirt and loose fitting cover shirt, which I do button part way on "windy days". When your day to day work involves a lot of physical movement, OWB is much, much more comfortable. I do carry various semi-auto's IWB for most casual, or dress-up situations though.

surv
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

geoelectro

Post by geoelectro »

After reading these posts I've ordered an OWB holster. Can't wait to try it.

Geo
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

bnc

Post by bnc »

I'm getting pretty close to ordering a Simply Rugged Cuda for IDPA & cold weather conceal, which I think I'll enjoy a lot more than IWB.

thr_wedge

Post by thr_wedge »

I like both OWB and IWB, they both have a place. My OWB paddle works great for morning/evening walks and a jacket, sweatshirt. My belt slide is great for IDPA and a longer shirt. My IWB gets the nod most of the time if I am going to be in public a whole lot and not wearing a jacket.
NRA member
TSRA member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”