Moving to El Paso in near future...Looking to get CHL

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Lifeguarddude
Posts in topic: 5
Location: Was San Antonio, currently in CA, Comming home soon!

Moving to El Paso in near future...Looking to get CHL

Post by Lifeguarddude »

Howdy Y'all! I've been reading posts on this forum for a while, and finally made a profile. A little background, I'm military and my wife and I are currently stationed in California (unfortunatly) however, we have orders to El Paso. We are from San Antonio, and were going go get CHL's then I decided to enlist and...well CA isn't very Military or CHL friendly...my Question is this: Being military are there any issues we should be concerned with when we get CHL's? We aren't from El Paso, and don't know the area or Fort Bliss at all. Any advice/comments/help is welcome!

Thanks in advance
V/R

Lifeguarddude

RPB
Banned

Re: Moving to El Paso in near future...Looking to get CHL

Post by RPB »

I can't answer the military part, but I have a cousin and his wife living in El Paso, she is Mexican-American, He isn't, I only mention that because they both "used to" venture into Mexico to see her relatives, get cheaper Dental work, cheaper medical etc .... they don't now. He used to work at UTEP in Sports training or something, then a sports medicine doctor's office, now a hospital I think. BIG bodybuilder type guy, but never used steroids, kind of intimidating size, so of course he feels safe, no one would mess with him probably. He claims El Paso is relatively safe, but like all big cities, shop before the sun goes down, be aware of surroundings, get your CHL just in case, use common sense, stay out of Mexico and nearby areas near the border (UTEP has some bullet holes from guns fired in Mexico which forgot to stop at the border, they weren't the army's new guidance system controlled "smart bullets") ... etc etc.

I've never been there, my uncle went for Christmas, didn't say much other than he enjoyed the visit.

Oh and ...

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've visited ELP a few times for work...
Friendly town for the most part. Big military presence with what seemed to be a good relationship with the local community (talked to a few locals about that). Very good Mex and T-Mex food (I judge most places by how well I eat there :mrgreen: ).

As RBP says, Juarez used to be a decent place to visit, now not so much.... Downright dangerous. I think I'd rather be deployed to a hot zone, at least you can carry arms in Iraq/Afghanistan.

Some nice New Mexico mountains not far to the North too...

Welcome home..
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

wally775

Post by wally775 »

MO :tiphat:

You will like El Paso.

It is a nice city. I took basic there.
Ok, maybe not the best place for basic training in the summer.
My stepson is stationed there. He works at the hospital.
I have a good friend from high school who lives there.

Surprisingly El Paso has one of the lowest murder rates, if not the lowest
in Texas. Just stay out of Mexico. It will be off limits to you anyway.

Texas is CHL friendly and so is neighboring New Mexico.
The NEW Mexico is not off limits BTW.

Good Luck.

:patriot: :txflag:

Pyrat

Post by Pyrat »

I lived in El Paso for a number of years and was in the National Guard there (3-133FA). I found El Paso to be a quite friendly place, with great Mexican food. It's a bout 700 miles from anywhere though, Denver, Dallas, San Diego. Nearby things to see include White Sands Missile Range Museum and Missile Park at White Sands, White Sands National Monument, The New Mexico Space Port, the NM Museum of Space History at Alamogordo, Hueco Tanks Historical Park, Viva El Paso a play presented at the outdoor McKelligon Canyon amphitheater, water sports-wise there is Elephant Butte Reservoir located north of El Paso at Truth or Consequences, NM. Educational opportunities exist at the University of Texas, El Paso (UTEP) and at NM State University (NMSU), Las Cruces. There are local travel/vacation opportunities which include Carlsbad Caverns National Park, Carlsbad NM, and Las Vegas is only a Southwest flight away. I-25 can take you to Albuquerque, Santa Fe, and Denver in a day or less.

if you have children, the school system is fair, and El Paso can be a good place to learn and practice Spanish, but keep in mind the local version is Spanglish or boarder Spanish, which can actually detract form learning classic Spanish. El Paso Community College seems to be a good school and as mentioned there is UTEP and MNSU.

Fort Bliss is a large facility with lots of military support options. There is a German prescience mostly ADA training I think, but also an aviation component. What is referred to as "down range" is the artillery range to the north.

Cost of living is, or was when I was there, lower than many places, so your money should go much farther than it did in California.

We use to visit Juarez, but I would advise against it at this time.

There is more and I'm sure I'll think of it later, but that's the major stuff. Hope you enjoy the area, we did.

Some pictures of the area.
Pyrat

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Seeing those pictures, I may need to visit my cousin, thanks pyrat

Mount Rushmore- 1st draft
http://iilab.utep.edu/images/Chirac%2010.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think I know this guy I recognize his hat :biggrinjester:
http://iilab.utep.edu/images/ABQ%20petro4.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
Lifeguarddude

Post by Lifeguarddude »

Thanks all! I will use the info. No desire to go to Juarez...Now time to start trying different rigs, getting good carry guns (me and wife) and Class info/range time.

Looking forward to be a Texan again!
V/R

Lifeguarddude

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Lifeguarddude wrote:Thanks all! I will use the info. No desire to go to Juarez...Now time to start trying different rigs, getting good carry guns (me and wife) and Class info/range time.

Research there, buy the guns here, I read somewhere that here in Texas you can get full-auto pistols that have bajillion round "clips" and grenade launchers and bayonets attached at any gun store easily and don't even need to be a citizen ... at least that's what I read about us supplying all the Mexican Cartel guns like that. :mrgreen:

Welcome back to Texas. :tiphat:
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
Lifeguarddude

Post by Lifeguarddude »

RPB wrote:
Lifeguarddude wrote:Thanks all! I will use the info. No desire to go to Juarez...Now time to start trying different rigs, getting good carry guns (me and wife) and Class info/range time.

Research there, buy the guns here, I read somewhere that here in Texas you can get full-auto pistols that have bajillion round "clips" and grenade launchers and bayonets attached at any gun store easily and don't even need to be a citizen ... at least that's what I read about us supplying all the Mexican Cartel guns like that. :mrgreen:

Welcome back to Texas. :tiphat:
I won't buy a gun in California too much red tape/restrictions, besides I brought my other guns with me from texas! However Ruger Blackhawks, 12Ga 870's and .22 Rifles don't make good concealed carry pieces. (as much as i'd love to use my blackhawk though)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!
V/R

Lifeguarddude

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I lived in El Paso for a little over a year, and did my freshman year of college at UTEP before transferring to A&M. I didn't mind living there. The only bad part about it was my ex-wife. :mrgreen: Great weather if you like it nice and dry. Like someone else mentioned, it's about 700 miles from anywhere, but there are interesting places to visit not so far away.

Whatever you do, don't carry your gun into Juarez. :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

ELB

Post by ELB »

L-dude,

Welcome back (almost) from the PRK. As far as issues for military getting CHLs: many instructors offer discounts on class fees for military, plus there is a reduced fee. Occasionally I see reduced fees for husband & wife couples. The only negative issue I can think of are the lame-brained on-base (or on-post for you Army guys) rules about privately-owned weapons.

As far as El Paso -- never lived there, but I notice is has the distinction of having one of the lowest, if not the lowest, murder rates for a big city in Texas. Juarez more than makes up for that, so yeah, I'd stay on this side of the border.

Best wishes on your PCS. :patriot:

elb
(USAF 1982-2005)
USAF 1982-2005

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I lived in El Paso for a little over a year, and did my freshman year of college at UTEP before transferring to A&M. I didn't mind living there. The only bad part about it was my ex-wife. :mrgreen: Great weather if you like it nice and dry. Like someone else mentioned, it's about 700 miles from anywhere, but there are interesting places to visit not so far away.

Whatever you do, don't carry your gun into Juarez. :smilelol5:
Don't even carry 1 bullet/cartridge, and even a SMALL pocketknife gets you 5 years in prison there
See:
http://tijuana.usconsulate.gov/tijuana/warning.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm no lawyer

Topic author
Lifeguarddude

Post by Lifeguarddude »

Great advise, if i ever need a reason to NOT go, I've got one now. The Ft. Bliss weapons policy hasn't been clearly stated on their website, although I'm sure I'll get an ear full from the COC about it. The way I understand it is that it is the same as all military posts, no weapons in the barracks, but as long as they are secured in your residence it is ok. My Brother in law is an MP there but hasn't said anything one way or the other about it. It is one of the issues that makes me think twice about living in the on post housing there.

Thanks I'll look into the discount info. as well.

Interesting how banning all those guns/weapons/pocket knives seems to stop the violence in Juarez huh?
V/R

Lifeguarddude

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Lifeguarddude wrote:Great advise, if i ever need a reason to NOT go, I've got one now. The Ft. Bliss weapons policy hasn't been clearly stated on their website, although I'm sure I'll get an ear full from the COC about it. The way I understand it is that it is the same as all military posts, no weapons in the barracks, but as long as they are secured in your residence it is ok. My Brother in law is an MP there but hasn't said anything one way or the other about it. It is one of the issues that makes me think twice about living in the on post housing there.

Thanks I'll look into the discount info. as well.

Interesting how banning all those guns/weapons/pocket knives seems to stop the violence in Juarez huh?
yes, it's MUCH SAFER now ............. for criminals. (and criminals dressed as/impersonating Mexican Military or Mexican Police since they got a free source of uniforms with only a few holes in each) Even some of the real police/military there are less than upstanding.
I'm no lawyer

LTPumper12

Post by LTPumper12 »

I live in El Paso. Have lived here all my life minus 4 years of Navy and one year in Austin. Let me know if you have any questions. I will give you the run down on the city. I got a buddy who is a FFL and his friend is an instructor. Contact me if you have questions about the city, where to live, etc. Ken

Return to “New to CHL?”