Pulled over for speeding

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
longhornmike
Posts in topic: 3

Pulled over for speeding

Post by longhornmike »

Well I have had my CHL for about 13 months now , and today I got pulled over for speeding.

I was going about 52 mph down highway 6 south in houston , speed limit there is 45.As I exited to the access road to get to the toll road the lights came on and bingo , I was pulled over.

The officer said the speed limit changed to 35 where I exited. I showed him my DL and CHL , he was very professional , but I did get a ticket.

I guess I was hoping for a warning but , nope , not today.
12/16/09 plastic in hand

cubbyjg
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pulled over for speeding

Post by cubbyjg »

Sorry to hear about the ticket but its good the overall experience wasnt too nerve racking. Encountering a professional PO is always nice even if you get a ticket.
Hook'em Horns!
Class of 2007

“I am actually for gun control. Use both hands." - Gov. Rick Perry

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

PM sent to OP
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

Topic author
longhornmike

Post by longhornmike »

cubbyjg
I wasn't nervous at all , I don't have anything to be nervous about. just a 53 year old granddad going to work and sippin' on good ol' black hot coffee.

The officer's a good man , I respect him .

dan , thanks for the pm
12/16/09 plastic in hand

Topic author
longhornmike

Post by longhornmike »

Drove that same route this morning , to get down to the "legal speed" at that exit would be much more dangerous than my 52 mph !
12/16/09 plastic in hand

flintknapper
Banned

Post by flintknapper »

cubbyjg wrote:Sorry to hear about the ticket but its good the overall experience wasnt too nerve racking. Encountering a professional PO is always nice even if you get a ticket.
Absolutely!

I am glad to hear that you were not disarmed and that the officer was professional (not just polite) in his dealings with you.

Like you, I really appreciate (and applaud) LEO like that.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

geoelectro

Post by geoelectro »

Last Thursday night I was going from visiting my Dad to Church. Running a little late and going down a road I don't travel that much, (Beamer in Friendswood), I'm racing to Church. Anyway, there is a long stretch between Dixie Farm Rd and 2351. It's 45 mph and I always go 55 mph. When the light changed, I raced (in my MINI) to 55 and stuck it on cruse control. :coolgleamA: This guy runs up behind me and stays on my bumper. :shock: I'm thinking, Hey!, I'm going 10 over, what do you want? :???: This goes on until we reach 2351. 6 cars at the next light and because they are sooo slow to respond, it takes two lights to get through!!! :mad5 Then I'm stuck behind someone going between 25 and 30 in a 35. :waiting: When I get to my turn off, a recently repaved road, :evil2: I turned hard and stepped on it. The turbo kicked in and in no time I was doing 55... (in a 35) Suddenly, this same guy is on my tail again! :confused5

Then, the lights! Ohh, it's THAT guy... I knew I was busted and funny, I wasn't even upset. Almost laughing to myself. Let's face it, I'm a moron! :biggrinjester:
He asked my for ID and insurance. I hand him my DL and CCL and Ins. He asked my if I was carrying. I said no. (I wasn't) He asked where I was going. I told him to that Church right there! I was hiding my face since I could see my friends going in. I on the other hand am right outside lit up like a Christmas tree! "rlol" Then he goes to his car and takes what seems like a lifetime. I just know he is going to throw the book at me. He's probably adding up how much I will owe with each mile an hour over the 10 over limit. It's so high I ain't even going to try to do this math in my mind. Just give the ticket. I'll take that stupid comedy defensive driving and move on. Still, I'll have to pay. :grumble

Then, he finally comes back... hands me a warning! I actually said, are you serious? (I mean I was so bad here he could have shot my tires out and I would have said it was my fault.) :banghead: He said the warning was to inform good citizens to slow down and be careful. :shock: I asked if I could shake his hand and told him he made good sense... (OK, blathering a little here I guess) Anyway, no ticket! :woohoo

Geo
Glock 19
Taurus PT 917c

NRA Member
CHL Holder

jamisjockey

Post by jamisjockey »

I think the reason CHL holders get out of tickets is because we're usually not the sort they are looking for. Most cops are hoping to pull someone with warrants, drugs, or some other offense they can pursue. Obviously, some places are revenuing and don't care.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

geoelectro wrote:Last Thursday night I was going from visiting my Dad to Church. Running a little late and going down a road I don't travel that much, (Beamer in Friendswood), I'm racing to Church. Anyway, there is a long stretch between Dixie Farm Rd and 2351. It's 45 mph and I always go 55 mph. When the light changed, I raced (in my MINI) to 55 and stuck it on cruse control. :coolgleamA: This guy runs up behind me and stays on my bumper. :shock: I'm thinking, Hey!, I'm going 10 over, what do you want? :???: This goes on until we reach 2351. 6 cars at the next light and because they are sooo slow to respond, it takes two lights to get through!!! :mad5 Then I'm stuck behind someone going between 25 and 30 in a 35. :waiting: When I get to my turn off, a recently repaved road, :evil2: I turned hard and stepped on it. The turbo kicked in and in no time I was doing 55... (in a 35) Suddenly, this same guy is on my tail again! :confused5

Then, the lights! Ohh, it's THAT guy... I knew I was busted and funny, I wasn't even upset. Almost laughing to myself. Let's face it, I'm a moron! :biggrinjester:
He asked my for ID and insurance. I hand him my DL and CCL and Ins. He asked my if I was carrying. I said no. (I wasn't) He asked where I was going. I told him to that Church right there! I was hiding my face since I could see my friends going in. I on the other hand am right outside lit up like a Christmas tree! "rlol" Then he goes to his car and takes what seems like a lifetime. I just know he is going to throw the book at me. He's probably adding up how much I will owe with each mile an hour over the 10 over limit. It's so high I ain't even going to try to do this math in my mind. Just give the ticket. I'll take that stupid comedy defensive driving and move on. Still, I'll have to pay. :grumble

Then, he finally comes back... hands me a warning! I actually said, are you serious? (I mean I was so bad here he could have shot my tires out and I would have said it was my fault.) :banghead: He said the warning was to inform good citizens to slow down and be careful. :shock: I asked if I could shake his hand and told him he made good sense... (OK, blathering a little here I guess) Anyway, no ticket! :woohoo

Geo
I am generally a person that is very supportive of the Law Enforcement community. But what you describe is one of the few things that irk me...that is the practice of some LEOs to "ride" your bumper at high-speeds either in order to get you to move aside so they can whip on past or in an effort to provoke you to do something stupid/illegal with your vehicle so they can pull you over. The part that irks me is that they are violating traffic codes at the same time that you allegedly are (that was "lawyer-talk", though it is apparent that I am not one).
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

billv

Post by billv »

longhornmike wrote:Well I have had my CHL for about 13 months now , and today I got pulled over for speeding.

I was going about 52 mph down highway 6 south in houston , speed limit there is 45.As I exited to the access road to get to the toll road the lights came on and bingo , I was pulled over.

The officer said the speed limit changed to 35 where I exited. I showed him my DL and CHL , he was very professional , but I did get a ticket.

I guess I was hoping for a warning but , nope , not today.
Was the 35 MPH sign yellow or white? If it's yellow, it's an advisory caution speed. The white signs are compulsory speed limit signs.

Years ago, my dad got out of a ticket because he was written up for speeding past a yellow speed limit sign.

Might work if you fight it or just take the class.

alvins

Post by alvins »

[/quote]

I am generally a person that is very supportive of the Law Enforcement community. But what you describe is one of the few things that irk me...that is the practice of some LEOs to "ride" your bumper at high-speeds either in order to get you to move aside so they can whip on past or in an effort to provoke you to do something stupid/illegal with your vehicle so they can pull you over. The part that irks me is that they are violating traffic codes at the same time that you allegedly are (that was "lawyer-talk", though it is apparent that I am not one).[/quote]

thats why you start slowing down and they will go around.

Purplehood
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Purplehood »

alvins wrote:
I am generally a person that is very supportive of the Law Enforcement community. But what you describe is one of the few things that irk me...that is the practice of some LEOs to "ride" your bumper at high-speeds either in order to get you to move aside so they can whip on past or in an effort to provoke you to do something stupid/illegal with your vehicle so they can pull you over. The part that irks me is that they are violating traffic codes at the same time that you allegedly are (that was "lawyer-talk", though it is apparent that I am not one).[/quote]

thats why you start slowing down and they will go around.[/quote]

Hasn't always worked. I could tell some stories...
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

I hate people that brake check, so I refuse to do it, but I do slow down with a downshift sometimes to get them to "wake up".
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”