I'm collecting tons of .45 brass

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

I'm collecting tons of .45 brass

Post by gigag04 »

Since my dept switched to the .45, I've started stockpiling up once fired brass with this idea in mind: I'd like to get into reloading, and looking for someone to meet up with. My fiance and I love to travel so I could come to you on a weekend. I'd be willing to share my brass in exchange for some instruction. I may even take ya out to dinner. Im in the Bryan/College Station area so Houston and Austin are preferable to DFW. Any takers?
:hurry:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

PBratton

Re: I'm collecting tons of .45 brass

Post by PBratton »

I'd be happy to show you how I reload .45 with my Dillon 650.

Send me a PM and let me know when you'd be in the Sugar Land area.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

dcphoto

Post by dcphoto »

I'd also be happy to show you. I'm still new to reloading, but you're more than welcome as long as you promise to ignore the mess in the garage. It's currently in a state of being "gone through" for donation and garage sales. Georgetown, btw.

Kawabuggy

Post by Kawabuggy »

I'm in Houston, and have a progressive already set up to run .45ACP so I would be happy to let you pull the handle and pump out some completed rounds. It will only be a "teachable" moment if the press jams for some reason. Other than that, it will spit out rounds as fast as you can pull the handle, and keep the primer tray, powder drop, brass feeder, all filled.

I also have a single stage if you wanted to go through re-loading step by step just to see how it all works.

I have a turret press too which is a little faster than the single stage, but not nearly as fast as the progressive.

operator207

Post by operator207 »

Since your collecting your spent brass (and possibly others spent brass) and it's .45acp, I thought I would post.
Check out this thread over on the 1911 forum: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=295439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I buy up all the Federal .45acp I can find at Walmart, and did not notice this until i started reading up on reloading on that forum.

*Cliff notes: Federal is now using small primer in their Walmart .45acp ammo. While this is not really a big deal to some, reloaders cannot just pick up .45acp spent brass and assume the primers are large anymore. Federal .45acp is cheap at Walmart and since it is sold at Walmart it stands to reason more of it will be bought.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

Regarding the Federal Brass...

I went to the range with a bunch of coworkers over the weekend and spent a fair amount of time picking up brass that was lying on the ground in the bay we were using. A small part of what I got was 150 pieces of .45. I got around to tumbling the .45 stuff last night, and took a look at the heads. Sure enough, the second case I picked up was Federal with small primers.

Taking a closer look at the Federal cases, I noticed that a lot of the primer strikes were off-center and even touching the edge of the primer. I could see this causing problems if the pin on a given gun struck far enough off-center that it hit the case head itself or far enough away from the anvil so that the primer failed to ignite. Interesting stuff to think about, and it makes me wonder if anyone has had problems with that sort of thing.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “Reloading Forum”