Purchasing a Gun with CHL

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Purchasing a Gun with CHL

Post by mrvmax »

A side note: You do need to realize that CHL or not, if you buy 2 or more handguns in 5 consecutive business days it gets reported to the ATF and the chief law enforcement officer where the FFL resides. FYI that form has a lot of info on it:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

QB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by QB »

Yeah, another law that I have mixed opinons about. I can go to a gunshow and purchase 1 gun from 10 vendors and nothing gets turned in. But if I get 2 guns from the same vendor then he/she has to submit the multiple sales form. I used to not care about that form but I do now and so I try to time my purchases from the same dealer so that they are 6 business days apart or I purchase from multiple vendors. It's just the principle of the thing. When there's such an easy way to bypass the rule, why have it? Of course then you get into the debate that criminals don't follow any of the rules anyway........

Of course when my dealer's get audited, the ATF agent looks at their log and sees my name all over the place. And then they can/do audit the Forms 4473 and that has all my data. That's when I wonder why I don't want the multiple sales form to go in on me. What the heck, I have nothing to hide. But the form also goes to some local contact (other than ATF) that retains it for 6 months. Good grief.
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by anygunanywhere »

You can purchase a gun with a CHL? I thought they were purchased separately.

Sorry.

I'm with the ones who would decline the purchase and go elsewhere if the dealer still calls it in.

NICS checks are too much infringement.

Filling out the paperwork is too much of an infringement.

Having to get a CHL is too much infringement.

Having to take a class is too much infringement.

Having to pay $200 bucks or so for the CHL etc is too much of an infringement.

Having to get fingerprinted is too much infringement.

Angunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

WildBill wrote:
WildBill wrote:
QB wrote:I haven't run across that yet but as current holder of a TXCHL, I wouldn't deal with anyone who has a company policy of calling in my info. One of my perks for having a CHL. Dealers can of course conduct their business any way they want but I also have the choice of who I do business with.
Pawpaw wrote:If any place tried that on me I would register my disapproval by tearing up the form. They can be "PC" with someone else's money.
When buying a gun at Academy Sports-Outdoors or other large chain store, many people will sacrifice the extra time for the NICS check if it saves them $20-50 on the price of a gun.
I bought a Rossi revolver at Academy during their Black Friday sale. The guy tells me NICS is down and that there are about 12 people in front of me. I pull out my CHL and he says never mind, you're at the front of the line, no waiting... Sweet!

txcshooter

Post by txcshooter »

I bought a Mossberg 20ga. shotgun from Academy back in Sept. '10. No calls needed...On the other hand, the process still took a while since the clerk was new and needed to be trained on how to fill out the paperwork. But I didn't mind, it was my first purchase with my CHL...so far. ; )
Taurus G2s, Rossi .22lr rifle, Mossberg 20ga p/a
"If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat!" -unknown

texjames

Post by texjames »

txcshooter wrote:I bought a Mossberg 20ga. shotgun from Academy back in Sept. '10. No calls needed...On the other hand, the process still took a while since the clerk was new and needed to be trained on how to fill out the paperwork. But I didn't mind, it was my first purchase with my CHL...so far. ; )
Same happened to me at Academy, he did ask if i had a CHL and i gave it to him with my drivers lic but it took him a long time over at a cubby hole looking through some binders and was on the phone.If he called i don't know why they would ask for my CHL.I usually use one of the other three favorite gun shops
in town and i know for a fact they don't call....pretty freindly with them and they get it done fast...I am a jack jaw anyway so i ain't in no hurry.
USAF 71-91 retired
CHL #3 04/10

alvins

Post by alvins »

bass pro shop in pearland doesnt call it in if you have chl.

gander mountian in sugarland said he would call the sherrif and have me checked out if i bought 2 or more guns at once. their prices were high and i found the way he said it like he was threating me or somthing so i didnt buy.

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

alvins wrote:bass pro shop in pearland doesnt call it in if you have chl.

gander mountian in sugarland said he would call the sherrif and have me checked out if i bought 2 or more guns at once. their prices were high and i found the way he said it like he was threating me or somthing so i didnt buy.
Perhaps "As if I could afford to buy 2 guns here" would've been an appropriate response.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

mrvmax wrote:A side note: You do need to realize that CHL or not, if you buy 2 or more handguns in 5 consecutive business days it gets reported to the ATF and the chief law enforcement officer where the FFL resides. FYI that form has a lot of info on it:
http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-3310-4.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would assume only if you buy from the same dealer. Otherwise, how are they going to know you bought more than two?
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”