The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 12

Re: Signs for the CHLer

Post by RPB »

Right.

I was just saying, the way the laws currently are written, it seems to me that if a Hospital is "required" to post a sign.
AND if they post a sign other than a 30.06 sign, (similar to a 51% sign without the red 51%)they complied with what they are required to do. However, such sign, under 30.06, does NOT give "effective notice" under 30.06 to a CHL. If a hospital wants to also post a 30.06 sign, they may.

CHLs may not carry past a 30.06 sign.

(I"m not including "school" hospitals such as UTMB, etc. etc. etc. in this statement, just private hospitals ... school property is another matter.)

That's my layman's opinion, I ain't a lawyer.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

UpTheIrons
Posts in topic: 5

Post by UpTheIrons »

RPB wrote:Right.

I was just saying, the way the laws currently are written, it seems to me that if a Hospital is "required" to post a sign.
AND if they post a sign other than a 30.06 sign, (similar to a 51% sign without the red 51%)they complied with what they are required to do. However, such sign, under 30.06, does NOT give "effective notice" under 30.06 to a CHL. If a hospital wants to also post a 30.06 sign, they may.

CHLs may not carry past a 30.06 sign.

(I"m not including "school" hospitals such as UTMB, etc. etc. etc. in this statement, just private hospitals ... school property is another matter.)

That's my layman's opinion, I ain't a lawyer.
What you said. That's what I was thinking with my not-so-clear post. Got it! :thumbs2:
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

cwohardy

Post by cwohardy »

dicion wrote:
glbedd53 wrote:OK, I guess I was thinkin federal.
Ah yes, Federal Law is different entirely, but they generally have their own signage that states such :)

But it is definitely not against State Law to carry on Federal Government property :thumbs2:
But it most certainly is against Federal Law to carry on a military base without certain preconditions being met.

I currently live on Ft Sam and have lived on several bases in several states and all military bases have very restrictive laws. Basically you cannot "carry" at all on base.

Currently on Ft Sam
If living in quarters or barracks (if you don't have quarters on base you are not authorized at any time to possess a firearm)
1. The weapon has to be unloaded and locked in the trunk of your car. It can only be in your car if you are traveling directly from your house to off base (no stops along the way). Same thing coming back in.
2. Weapon must be registered with the Provost Marshal and if you live in the barracks it must be secured in the unit arms room.
3. restrictive rules also on storage inside your quarters

If coming on to a base that allows you to use their range (ie Camp Bullis)
1. You first have to register at a place like outdoor rec, then follow whatever rules range control applies.

So yes State laws don't apply, but the Federal ones do :???:

Winchster
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Winchster »

Sec. 30.06. TRESPASS BY HOLDER OF LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUN. (a) A license holder commits an offense if the license holder:

(1) carries a handgun under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, on property of another without effective consent; and

(2) received notice that:

(A) entry on the property by a license holder with a concealed handgun was forbidden; or

(B) remaining on the property with a concealed handgun was forbidden and failed to depart.

(b) For purposes of this section, a person receives notice if the owner of the property or someone with apparent authority to act for the owner provides notice to the person by oral or written communication.

(c) In this section:

(1) "Entry" has the meaning assigned by Section 30.05(b).

(2) "License holder" has the meaning assigned by Section 46.035(f).

(3) "Written communication" means:

(A) a card or other document on which is written language identical to the following: "Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by holder of license to carry a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (concealed handgun law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun"; or

(B) a sign posted on the property that:

(i) includes the language described by Paragraph (A) in both English and Spanish;

(ii) appears in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height; and

(iii) is displayed in a conspicuous manner clearly visible to the public.

(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(e) It is an exception to the application of this section that the property on which the license holder carries a handgun is owned or leased by a governmental entity and is not a premises or other place on which the license holder is prohibited from carrying the handgun under Section 46.03 or 46.035
This may have already been answered somewhere, but I have a question and opinion. The highlighted red portion of the above code seems to be forgotten by most people when they talk about the 30.06 signs. The way I read the statute, Paragraph A says they could hand me a business card as I entered the property with the correct verbiage on it and it counts. I believe my instructor was wrong when he said that a sheet of paper with the correct verbiage on it is a not valid. My interpretation of paragraph A says that written communication in any form with the correct verbiage counts. I say this because the section is ended with an "OR". Which in my mind means they can give me written notice in any written form OR post a sign that is compliant. Either works. Am I wrong?
What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

no you are not wrong. However, I do not see a lot of people handing out written communication (in any form) with the same words as 30.06. Of course, if it is in your employment docs, then you are notified.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

cwohardy

Post by cwohardy »

Any post I have ever been on has signs at the front gate saying possession of weapons forbidden. Doesn't have to be like the 30.06, not state property. Feds make it a condition of getting access on bases. Oh those crazy feds :cool:

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jumping Frog »

cwohardy wrote:Any post I have ever been on has signs at the front gate saying possession of weapons forbidden. Doesn't have to be like the 30.06, not state property. Feds make it a condition of getting access on bases. Oh those crazy feds :cool:
Yes, but IIRC, it is a simple misdemeanor under federal law.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

I am not making this up: On the front door of the hospital where I work there is a "gunbuster" and below it these words:

handguns prohibited on these premises. :nono:

Really? Okay, I'll just haul in my Mossberg 500 and set it near my desk. Doesn't say anything about rifles and shotguns. :thumbs2:
NRA EPL pending life member

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

jmgroves

Post by jmgroves »

Thanks! My instructor did not cover the signs.

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

Even though they don't need one, the admin. office of the local district has a 30.06 sign right out front.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people; it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government"- Patrick Henry

Jasonw560

Post by Jasonw560 »

okay, for those of you who are lamenting about not having a ruler and measuring if the words are 1 in. on the 30.06 signs, here's something that might be helpful.

This:Image is 1.0433 inches in diameter.

This:Image is .955 inches in diameter.

Get one of these and stick it up next to the letters.Close enough to 1 inch for me.

jcarp02

Post by jcarp02 »

Jasonw560 wrote:okay, for those of you who are lamenting about not having a ruler and measuring if the words are 1 in. on the 30.06 signs, here's something that might be helpful.

This:Image is 1.0433 inches in diameter.

This:Image is .955 inches in diameter.

Get one of these and stick it up next to the letters.Close enough to 1 inch for me.
Very handy. Thanks!

TexasAggie09

Post by TexasAggie09 »

I was under the impression that a simple "gun buster" sign was enough to prohibit an employee from carrying in that building? That's what we learned in my CHL of course. So when I go to my local Ford dealership and they have a gun buster sign, for now I'm confident that the employees aren't packing.
Taurus Model 82 .38 Special
Taurus PT145 Millenium Pro
CZ 75 B 9mm
Smith & Wesson 642 .38 Special
Remington 870 Express Home Defense
Sig Sauer P229 Enhanced Elite .40 S&W
Rock River LAR-15 Elite Operator 2 .223/5.56

Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of 2009

Teamless
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Teamless »

TexasAggie09 wrote:for now I'm confident that the employees aren't packing.
Having a gun-buster sign does NOT prohibit the employee from carrying.

The employee is prohibited only if (1) the facility is already prohibited by statute, (2) the employee is verbally told, or (3) if the full 30.06 verb-age (except for size) is spelled out in some literature or employee handbook that the employee receives.

I don't think I have missed anything here, but if I have, someone else will be along shortly to correct it.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Texas_Tactical

Post by Texas_Tactical »

pbwalker wrote:Image
YES YOU CAN CARRY - Old PC (30.05)
This is the old sign on Longview municipal courts/Longview PD doors. I'm sure they've updated it by now but when it was the 30.05 i still did not carry due to the fact that it is a police station and thus not allowed.

Return to “New to CHL?”